Fly into Ft. Lauderdale for a Miami departing cruise?

Stevie17

Is it at all practical to fly into Fort Lauderdale for a cruise that is departing from Miami? There is such a significant cost savings if we are able to fly into Ft. Lauderdale that we'd love to be able to do it if we can. Any thoughts?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;4;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until we sail!!!

NCL Spirit - February 2005
Grand Princess - May 2003
NCL Sun - May 2002
NCL Sea - May 2000

We flew ORD fo FLL rented w/Hertz, stayed in Miami overnight. Returned the car to Hertz MIA & took the Hertz shuttle to Miami Pier. The car rental was about $60. which is higher than average, but I had a credit & I saved the taxi fare from the airport to the port.

We had an NCL shuttle on the return, cost was $15. pp, there were 4 of us. The shuttle was very convenient, however, next time I might rent a car for the return. Maybe it just depends on how much time you have before departure.

We flew into Ft Lauderdale earlier this year for our Miami cruise. We rented a car ($35) and drove to Miami and dropped it off at one of the downtown hotels and then took a short cab to the pier. If I had to do this again, I would take a cab or limo. From the time we got onto the Budget shuttle at Fort Lauderdale and drove off in our car had to be atleast an hour, much longer than I expected and somewhat a pain as we had 2 kids with us. If you factor in gas and taxes, etc I don't think you save much moeny as opposed to taking a cab or limo.

Triumph 4/2000
SUN 2/2004
Brilliance of the Seas 3/2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;03;07;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

This past March daughter & I went in 2 days early. Rented a car from Alamo (midsize)for $60 total, stayed at an outlying hotel at cheaper rates, shopped & toured FLL, drove to MIA, returned car and were Alamo shuttled to the pier. Did Carnival transfer for return at $12 each. Bottom line: Carnival transfer 1 way for 2 =24. Savings on hotel was over $10/nite. Meals were at local resturants not hotel prices. We broke better than even and had the convience of a car.

Holly

M/S Boheme 11/69
Rhapsody 2/77?
Azure Sea 3/89
Panama Canal 11/90
Mexican Riviera 3/98
Carnival Triumph 12/99
Carnival Spirit 12/01
NCL Dream 11/17/02
Celebrity Mercury 6/1/03
carnival Victory 3/28/04

The distance to the pier from Fort Lauderdale airport is about 20-25 miles. You can probably take the Tri-Rail from the airport in Fort Lauderdale (the train) and then tri-rail connecting bus to the pier. You might look on the Tri-rail website. On the other hand, the Miami airport is closer to the pier, just a few miles. What you save in convenience by flying to Miami and taking a cab might save you in headaches from traveling to Fort Lauderdale. Tri-rail has a very good website that would help you figure it out. There is also a Howard Johnson's Hotel right at the entrance to the Port of Miami that might be a good bet. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

We often fly into FLL as the price is usually less from our home airport. You can easily buy transfers from the cruise line. They are usually about $5 more than the ones from Miami. There is a Super Shuttle that works well from the airport to the pier but not in reverse. That's about $20pp. It was $17 a couple of years ago so I assume it has gone up. Much easier to just use the cruiselines shuttle I think. Hotels near FLL provide transportation between their property and the airport if that helps with your plans.

I like the Lauderdale airport much better then MIA. We live in FL now but used to fly to FLL, get a rental and drop it right at the pier. That was Hertz or Avis not sure which one. We would usually cab it back to FLL

Archived