First time Dream questions

Sportsdoc

My family of four (children ages 4 and 7) will be taking our FIRST Disney cruise the end of Jan - 4 nights on the Dream! We are super excited but I have a few questions I am hoping the veterans out there can answer.

1. Was going to book the bike, snorkel and tube rental at Castaway Cay ahead of time but the packages are only for 5+ -- so does that mean that they will not give a tube or snorkel to my 4 year old or is he not charged??? (Noting that this is not his first cruise and he is a strong swimmer for his age and pretty good with the mask and snorkel).

2. On a similar note -- what kinds of bikes are available? My four year old is quite good on a tag along bike or with training-wheels but can not ride independent. I fear he would be too big for a child seat. And are helmets provided or do we need to pack?

3. Is the family tea only offered on longer cruises? I have read to get to guest services early for tickets but seems inconsistent which ships/lengths of stay it is offered.

4. I have also read about the graduation party and did not know if that was also just on the longer trips?

5. If we are on 4 night cruise and dream has 3 restaurants with rotational dining I assume we will spend each of the three first nights at a different restaurant -- is the fourth night just a lottery which one you end up at??

6. On the 4 night cruise is there a formal night? Do younger girls wear their princess dresses that night? Does my husband need a suit?

On that note I would like to thank everyone who posts on this site b/c I have used for past trips on Royal Caribbean and all of the input has been extremely helpful!!

SportsDoc

My family of four (children ages 4 and 7) will be taking our FIRST Disney cruise the end of Jan - 4 nights on the Dream! We are super excited but I have a few questions I am hoping the veterans out there can answer.

1. Was going to book the bike, snorkel and tube rental at Castaway Cay ahead of time but the packages are only for 5+ -- so does that mean that they will not give a tube or snorkel to my 4 year old or is he not charged??? (Noting that this is not his first cruise and he is a strong swimmer for his age and pretty good with the mask and snorkel).

It means he will not be allowed to participate in that activity.

2. On a similar note -- what kinds of bikes are available? My four year old is quite good on a tag along bike or with training-wheels but can not ride independent. I fear he would be too big for a child seat. And are helmets provided or do we need to pack?

I don't know what a "tag along" bike is. I don't think they offer training wheels.

5. If we are on 4 night cruise and dream has 3 restaurants with rotational dining I assume we will spend each of the three first nights at a different restaurant -- is the fourth night just a lottery which one you end up at??

I can't remember if you go back to the first night or repeat the third. But it's not "random" there is a specific pattern. I'm sure someone else can answer that.

6. On the 4 night cruise is there a formal night? Do younger girls wear their princess dresses that night? Does my husband need a suit?

It's not "formal" but rather dress up. While he wouldn't be out of place in a suit, he doesn't need one. A sport jacket or even dress shirt and tie would be fine.

Hi

We have just returned from the Dream, Castaway Cay is amazing you will have a fantastic time.

We hired bikes - I would highly recommend it as you get to see all of the island. There are training wheels - stabilisers as we call them and also helmets for you to use.

Regarding the floats etc, you could hire as many as you need, they may not hire them to under 5's but if your son uses it then I doubt anyone will stop him?

Hope you have a fantastic cruise - you can't not!

Oh forgot to mention, we were worried about what to wear but fear not - my husband's case didn't arrive in time for dinner on the first night so he had to wear his travel clothes - shorts, t shirt and flip flops. He was very embarrassed at dressing so casually but no-one gave him a second look. To be honest there were lots of people dressed the same, maybe there was a problem with luggage that evening. My children wore shirts and ties, my husband wore a shirt, we didn't see anyone 'dressed up' but we were on a 3 night cruise and there wasn't a 'dress up' evening.

Hope this helps.

Hi, you will have a great time. We went on the Dream in September and didn't hire the bikes until we arrived at Castaway Cay because we wanted to be sure the weather was good. It was no problem, there were plenty and we just signed for them at the booth on the island. As the others have said, there is a three night rotation and then on the fourth night it's pirate night and the menu is the same at all of the restaurants.

They have plenty of bikes and floats on the island that you can rent then. Your 4 yo will not be allowed to rent the snorkel equipment but you could bring your own from home and no one would prevent him from using it. All snorkelers must wear a Disney life vest, free at the lifeguard stands. And yes they children's bikes have training wheels and they must wear helmets.

The tea with Alice is only available on the 7 night itineraries.

They had a Friendship Rocks program on the 7 night last month. I know they had one on the 4 night Wonder Nov. 2010. Can't remember if they had it on the Dream this past summer. Sorry.

No formal night on the shorter cruises. They do have a dress up night though (semi-formal) and the clothing varies by cruise. We did a B2B this summer. First cruise people were dressed nicely but family friendly. Second cruise, I swear I saw more butts hanging out and one older woman that was flashing wayyyy too much! Heck, if I can see her boobs from across the restaurant, so can everyone else!!! :eek:

You can wear a nice dress or slacks and a blouse. No one will say anything.

Enjoy the trip!!

Archived