Catholic church near Galveston

mitsguy2001

Dear Long Island Cruiser:

We live in Dallas / Ft. Worth and visit Galveston a few times a year. Our favorite place for mass is the 7:30 am Sunday mass at Sacred Heart Church, 14th and Broadway, near the eastern end of the island. It is across the street from the old Bishop's Palace, where the archbishop (now Cardinal?) residence is.

We like Sacred Heart Church because it looks like we are entering a church from the Eastern Rite in Europe (but it is solidly Roman Catholic). In fact, at the end of each mass, we finish our services with a prayer to our Holy Mother to protect the island from storms. The Church has been well preserved, despite the weather and economic downtown. Starting your cruise early Sunday morning with mass at this beautiful worship space will certainly start your vacation off to a peaceful and memorable start. Of course, you can always nap on the ship (we do!). How lucky you are to have those beautiful churches on Long Island, where some of our friends live (near Long Island/MacArthur Airport).

Fellow cruisers, where do you worship when you come to Galveston to start your cruises?

Bob and Donna, from Dallas / Ft. Worth

• 5 months later...

It looks like our only real option is going to be St. Mary Star of the Sea, in Jamaica Beach, at 7:00 PM Saturday. Has anyone been to Mass there? At least where I live, there seems to be a large variation in how long Mass is, based on factors such as how long the homily is or how many hymns they use. I have been to Masses ranging from half an hour to an hour and a half. What time should we tell the cab company to pick us up after Mass? I don't want to waste half an hour waiting for the cab if it's a very short Mass, but I also don't want them to assume we're a no show if it's a long Mass. Thank you.

Archived