Margarita Island - Places to eat

twit

I am a little worried about getting sick when eating and/or drink on islands. Has anyone ever had a problem with this.

I am stopping at Margarita Island on my cruise and we are planning to spend the day at the beach right by the cruise port.

1. Does anyone know of some safe place to eat?

2. Does the beach get really busy since it is so close to the dock?

I once got sick when I went to Aruba. It ruined 3 days of my cruise. I had a frozen drink and I think that is what did it. I have never been to Margarita Island so I don't know what it is like there but maybe you should avoid the frozen drinks there too.:o

• 2 months later...

It's been too long since I have been there to recommend any restaurants but one thing I highly recommend - is if you get a chance try a Coco Frio (literally a frozen coconut - they put them in a freezer). They take them out of the freezer - punch a hole to get at the coconut milk - which is icy cold and very refreshing and then split them open so you can eat the coconut meat - different and refreshing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's been too long since I have been there to recommend any restaurants but one thing I highly recommend - is if you get a chance try a Coco Frio (literally a frozen coconut - they put them in a freezer). They take them out of the freezer - punch a hole to get at the coconut milk - which is icy cold and very refreshing and then split them open so you can eat the coconut meat - different and refreshing.
They have that at the port down at the end right before the last bar by the beach. They have 2 types of coconuts. Some are yellow and some are green. The yellow ones are sweeter, because the tree is near fresh water. The green ones are near salt water. The soft meat inside is my favorite.

They have that at the port down at the end right before the last bar by the beach. They have 2 types of coconuts. Some are yellow and some are green. The yellow ones are sweeter, because the tree is near fresh water. The green ones are near salt water. The soft meat inside is my favorite.

My mouth is watering - remembering how delicious they were on a hot day.

I am a little worried about getting sick when eating and/or drink on islands. Has anyone ever had a problem with this.

I am stopping at Margarita Island on my cruise and we are planning to spend the day at the beach right by the cruise port.

1. Does anyone know of some safe place to eat?

2. Does the beach get really busy since it is so close to the dock?

There is one restraunt up under the big building by the dock. You'll have to go through the gates and it's on your left. They don't speak english there, BUT all the vendors eat there, so you would find PLENTY of help with translating. I don't really recommend that, though. Not that it's bad, but I like another place better. At the end of the port near the beach is a bar. Right before it on the left is a little grill. A guy and 2 girls run it. They make the best sandwiches. Not just any sandwich, but Margaritan style sandwich!! You want to try something that is local style? This is it. They grill meat like sausage, beef, and chicken. You can ask for a mixture of meat. You can have that by itself or you can have it on an arepa. What's an arepa? It's a white cornmeal mush that they form into a patty. They grill or fry it, until the outside of it is a bit crunchy, but the inside is soft. To make the sandwich, they'll slice along one side of it and stuff it with the meat of your choice and sauteed bellpepper and onion. You then can add your toppings of veggies and sauces to it. They have a garlic sauce that is white, a "guacaca" sauce that is green that has a light vinegar taste to it, and hot sauce. The hot sauce it tasty, but not really hot. They don't eat very hot food in Venezuela. I order this every day that I'm out there, and I load up on all the toppings and sauces. It's delicious! I believe the guy speaks a little English. You can get all this for something like a couple bucks. It might be a bit more than that this year, because prices or going up for the vendors. But it probably won't be much, and it's well worth it. It's making me hungry just talking about it.

Archived