Share tour excursion in Sorrento - Why is it SOOO expensive!!???

I am taking the Silversea cruise and am amazed at how much the private tours are. I have looked at all the suggestions here for private drivers and cannot get over that everything costs $400+. There's only 2 of us - noone has replied to my roll call for the West Med May 29-June 5th request so was hoping someone would be interested in sharing a private tour to Pompeii and amalfi on May 30th, Sorrento port. I have contacted Salvatore and he is $400 Euros for 2!!!!!! This doesn't include any of the entrance fees. I suppose this is normal but it still shocks me a bit! If anyone has any alternatives PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I also want to do a nice wine tasting tour in Tuscany on June 2nd - that looks like a $450 EURO trip. Thanks for any insight you may have!

Just remember that the exchange rate of the dollar is the problem. Your tour guide has probably been

charging pretty much the same for his tours over the past several years. If you had taken his tour two years ago, you'd be paying at least $150 less but he'd be making the same. And don't forget the cost of gasoline. I just heard

today that much of Europe is paying $6-$7 a gallon...

Also, keep in mind that their vans fit 6 to 8, so when you have a full van, it usually is a BETTER deal than the ship tours. I have two private all-day tours scheduled for my May cruise, one is 600 Eur, the other 400 Eur, but we have 6 people in the first and 4 in the second, so the tours are costing us about $130 per person (factoring in the exchange rate). The ship tours run about $150 for similar tours, and they are in busses with 40 or so other pax. So we are paying LESS per person, but we get a private driver in a luxury van, who will go where WE want to go, take as much or as little time as we want at the varous sights, and we don't have to waste time waiting for stragglers at the stops, or stopping at some overpriced touristy shopping venue that pays for the priviledge.

So while the prices seems high at first glance, they really are a great deal if you are able to drum up more people. Good luck!

LeeAnne

Oh now I understand why the hotel prices are so high. The hotels sprout wheels at night and ride around Italy.

Just kidding, but it is hard to book a hotel for $300 - $400 a night and then read that the air conditioning doesn't work, the towels are paper thin and you have to climb over your suitcases.

Any recommendations in Rome would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Planning

We spent four days in Rome in the summer of 2001 before our cruise and stayed at the Hotel Atlantico, a Bettoja hotel. We LOVED it. It was very

reasonable, immaculate and even included breakfast. Nice large bathrooms,

pretty quiet and we were even able to get four in a large room (hard to do

in Europe). Good location near Termini train station and subways. I would

stay there again and great little neighborhood trattorias nearby at night.

My guess is that you will be docking in Naples, and that is why there is such a charge for the shore excursion. Sorrento etc is quite a ways from Naples--to and from--plus you will be gone all day--at least 8 hours. So, with that in mind, while $400 IS alot, it's $50 per hr for your own personal car and guide.

Salvatore from Drive Amalfi is doing a great job in trying to find others to join us on the Pompeii/Amalfi Excursion (he e-mailed the Yahoo Silversea members list!)- I hope someone is interested in joining us on this excursion May 30th!!!

Salvatore from Drive Amalfi is doing a great job in trying to find others to join us on the Pompeii/Amalfi Excursion (he e-mailed the Yahoo Silversea members list!)- I hope someone is interested in joining us on this excursion May 30th!!!

You may want to reconsider doing the SS tour as I believe all your fees etc. will be included,and you waill have some other perks as well.I would check into it even if it seems high,and especially if you can't find other's to go with you.It can't hurt.I think you would be pleased with the way SS does the tours.Just MHO.As an FYI..Pompeii will be hot and when you get to the ruins make sure you have water and a hat.

Oh now I understand why the hotel prices are so high. The hotels sprout wheels at night and ride around Italy.

Just kidding, but it is hard to book a hotel for $300 - $400 a night and then read that the air conditioning doesn't work, the towels are paper thin and you have to climb over your suitcases.

Any recommendations in Rome would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Planning

Rome hotels can be quite $$$..even the 3 stars.You don't say what your price range is,but we were just there and going back this fall.We have stayed at the Excelsior which is a 5 star and very big with location on Via Venato which is nice,but a long walk IMHO to the major sights.This past trip we stay at the Hotel Grand Plaza right on Via del Corso which is the main shopping street,and near the Spanish Steps..it is narrow,and very walkable. Again a 4 to 5 star,and it was very nice..loved the location.This trip coming up I picked the Hosianum Palce Hotel on Via dei Polacchio as we like the area nad it is a small hotle with only 28 rooms and about $220. a night.We will have had days in Athens and then a cruise and then a week in Rome(we like Italy).You can check these out on Tripadvisor.com. Hope this helps.Enjoy your cruise and stay in Rome.

Karen

We are also staying at the Excelsior...I was concerned about the distance to major sites, now you have confirmed my fear. In your opinion - should we book a tour to see all the sights (Coliseum, Forum, Vatican City, Catacombs and Sistine chapel)? We only have 1 1/2 days there and want to see the major sites - I think walking is not an option for all these, is a taxi better than $400 tour?

You may want to reconsider doing the SS tour as I believe all your fees etc. will be included,and you waill have some other perks as well.I would check into it even if it seems high,and especially if you can't find other's to go with you.It can't hurt.I think you would be pleased with the way SS does the tours.Just MHO.As an FYI..Pompeii will be hot and when you get to the ruins make sure you have water and a hat.

Karen - here's my dilemma....SS will be $180 just for Pompeii - Salvatore is $515 for both (not including entrance as you state). I would like to see Amalfi as well since we have the whole day there. Maybe I should see if Salvatore can just do an Amalfi excursion and we do Pompeii w/SS in the morning. Boy - this is SOOOO complicated! Thanks for your responses!

My daughter and I have booked Salvatore for Mon - May 30th but we are only doing the Amalfie Coast rather than Pompeii. We are on the Brilliance. And yes, he is the most expensive day of the entire trip.

OleMissMom

Are you booked with any others - that drives the cost down significantly? This is a good idea - I am checking to see if I can do the same w/Salvatore (Amalfi only in the afternoon) and do the cruise Pompeii excursion in the morning.

Abrusia,

The train from Sorrento (towards Naples) takes you directly to Pompeii for 1.8euros each way. The entrance is 10 euros. Sorrento station is either a short walk from where the complimentery SS bus stops or a short taxi ride fro the quay. The train runs every 30 minutes each way. The journey is 30 mintes. Official Guides are waiting by the entrance if you want one - but in my view it's best to get a book before and read. When you've had enough you get the train back and have lunch on The Terace. Truly independent bliss, at negligable cost.

To me this is the only approach.

Jeff

Karen

We are also staying at the Excelsior...I was concerned about the distance to major sites, now you have confirmed my fear. In your opinion - should we book a tour to see all the sights (Coliseum, Forum, Vatican City, Catacombs and Sistine chapel)? We only have 1 1/2 days there and want to see the major sites - I think walking is not an option for all these, is a taxi better than $400 tour?

Actually,you can walk to some of the sights so do not fear.The Spanish Steps are just a few blocks over and down and the Borghese Gardens are right up the street.There are some really nice places to eat in the area as well,and shops.If you follow the via Venato down the hill past the US Embassy there is a metro station as well to take you all over.You can book a tour if you want to at the hotel.You can do a half day tour..there are several to chose from and you can pick the one that best suits you.Also,if you have a good map you can walk to Trevi Fountain after you leave the Spanish Steps as well as Plaza Navona( have dinner there at any one of the resturants.The Excelsior is a nice (big) hotel,and I am sure you will be pleased.I do suggest that you walk to your right when you leave the hotle and have breakfast at the cafe on the corner.It will save time and $$$$.Enjoy your stay in Rome..I bet you go back...:)

Karen - here's my dilemma....SS will be $180 just for Pompeii - Salvatore is $515 for both (not including entrance as you state). I would like to see Amalfi as well since we have the whole day there. Maybe I should see if Salvatore can just do an Amalfi excursion and we do Pompeii w/SS in the morning. Boy - this is SOOOO complicated! Thanks for your responses!

If you can't find other's to go with you...do as uk1 says..take the train in the morning to Pompeii,and then you can take the Amalfi tour in the afternoon..good way to do it.That is one of the problems with cruised..to much to do in to short of time.:mad: That is one reason we stay at either end for 4 or 5 days,and go back to places we may have missed if they are close by and easy to reach by train...or just chill.Good luck.

Archived