Coral Princess vs. Zaandam

stlrod

My wife and I (50s) are looking at sailing one of these two ship northbound in May. The itineraries are identical. This would be our first Alaskan cruise. We generally prefer newer-type ships (new or recently refurbished.) Anyone have any opinions on which of these might be better suited for us on an Alaskan cruise. Princess is about 25% more expensive but I'm worried Zaandam might be more run-down. Also considering the Radiance of the Seas but it visits Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay. Thanks for your help.

My wife and I (50s) are looking at sailing one of these two ship northbound in May. The itineraries are identical. This would be our first Alaskan cruise. We generally prefer newer-type ships (new or recently refurbished.) Anyone have any opinions on which of these might be better suited for us on an Alaskan cruise. Princess is about 25% more expensive but I'm worried Zaandam might be more run-down. Also considering the Radiance of the Seas but it visits Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay. Thanks for your help.

I cannot comment on the Zaandam as I have never sailed on HAL, but I was on the Coral Princess last summer for a SB cruise in Alaska. The ship in in fine shape. It had just had a refurb before our cruise. We stayed in a minisuite in the back of the ship....location was perfect. Laundry room right across the way. The crew was fabulous...from the dining room to the lounges. Our friends we traveled with are Vegan and the dining room staff bent over backwards to be accomodating. Another nice thing about the Coral is that it is a larger ship with a smaller amount of passengers. It never felt crowded.

Should you choose the Coral Princess, you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy Alaska...it is breathtaking. Are you doing a landtour?

I cannot comment on the Zaandam as I have never sailed on HAL, but I was on the Coral Princess last summer for a SB cruise in Alaska. The ship in in fine shape. It had just had a refurb before our cruise. We stayed in a minisuite in the back of the ship....location was perfect. Laundry room right across the way. The crew was fabulous...from the dining room to the lounges. Our friends we traveled with are Vegan and the dining room staff bent over backwards to be accomodating. Another nice thing about the Coral is that it is a larger ship with a smaller amount of passengers. It never felt crowded.

Should you choose the Coral Princess, you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy Alaska...it is breathtaking. Are you doing a landtour?

I'm doing a cruisetour on the Coral in August. We are booked in D712 (mini-suite in port/aft). Glad to hear that you liked your cabin. I did have a concern with the laundry near by. No complaints? We are doing the 'Off the Beaten Path' land tour. Have you done a land tour? Any suggestions?

Back to the original question of Princess Coral vs HAL Zaandam. I did a lot of research before I booked with Princess. I have sailed twice with HAL and loved both cruises. From what I've read, HAL and Princess are the best when it comes to Alaska with Princess getting a slight edge. Having never sailed with Princess we thought we'd try it out !

Thanks for the replies so far. We're not doing a land tour but ave an extra night in each Vancouver and Anchorage. I am starting to consider the Radiance more (the Zaandam and Coral work better for freqent flyer miles.) We've never sailed HAL, once on RCCL and loved it and Princess twice, once when the Grand when was new and then the Emerald last year. We were disappointed by the Emerald but did love the Sanctuary and the coffee shop. (our disappointment was primarily the dining room food and the lack of activities other than the movie screen.) Do people rent Sanctuary chairs on Alaskan cruises?

Thanks for the replies so far. We're not doing a land tour but ave an extra night in each Vancouver and Anchorage. I am starting to consider the Radiance more (the Zaandam and Coral work better for freqent flyer miles.) We've never sailed HAL, once on RCCL and loved it and Princess twice, once when the Grand when was new and then the Emerald last year. We were disappointed by the Emerald but did love the Sanctuary and the coffee shop. (our disappointment was primarily the dining room food and the lack of activities other than the movie screen.) Do people rent Sanctuary chairs on Alaskan cruises?

I highly recommend Glacier Bay especially for 1st time Alaska cruisers. I've heard too many stories of people not getting close to Hubbard but if you are one of the lucky ones, I hear it's spectacular (we weren't so lucky).

As far as Zaandam & Coral - compare the hours in port for each. Even though they have identical itineraries, their port times might differ.

I had a hard time deciding between these two too. I finally went with HAL because the double denali land tour was more affordable and included the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I hope the Zaadam isn't too tired. I have read good and bad reviews on it (like anything else). I just read today that it is typically too cold for the Sanctuary because I wondered the same thing.

Thanks for all the advice. After considering all the options (almost too many), I think I've come up with a plan for what suits us the best which includes neither ship. With the Sapphire being revitalized, it seemed like the perfect ship. I need the week of 5/26 which is currently sold-out but I am waitlisted (#2.) In the meantime, I've booked the Golden out of Seattle which will have just come out of general maintenance drydock. This way, I can go ahead and book my return air using FF miles out of either Vancouver or Seattle (they are close enough it won't matter since I planned to stay in Vancouver for a couple of days at the end.) Both also go to Glacier Bay but Sapphire also visits Hubbard. Pricing on the Golden was very good ($704 pp for outside obstructed.) I may just stick with it if the pricing for the Sapphire ends up significantly higher. Thanks again.

I was on Zaandam last year, and found only very minor problems. While I prefer Coral, and the Princess line, I would go for the 25% cheaper rate on Zaandam, but, only if the prices were for similar type cabins.

john

my brother and SIL were on the Zaandam this past summer and although they had a wonderful time, he thought the ship looked a little run down.....

How could you be disappointed in the Emerald? That was our first cruise 2 years ago and it was fantastic.....

You'll love the Sapphire if you end up sailing her. We took our first cruise to Alaska on her in 2009 and had a fabulous experience. Plus, she'll be coming out of drydock soon with even more amenities. She's a great choice!

Frankly, these two ships are not "identical" itineraries. Whittier and Seward are a significant difference. Are the port times the same?? Another point that may impact tours??

Both certainly will offer you an excellent cruise, and hardly, are there any "run down" cruise ships, in my opinion. I suggest you decide, if you wish to take advantage of your very short time, of an extra day??? Then choose that itinerary based on Seward or Whittier perhaps.

DH and I are thinking about taking an HAL cruise that would bring us to Kodiak, and Glacier Bay in the first few days of May. Any advice or comments about the weather then? By any chance are wildflowers blooming yet?

As an aside, I see in pictures the road to the wind turbines in Kodiak is now paved.

Thanks for any help.

I sailed on Coral Princess Xmas New Year 2007/8 and loved her. Was extreme aft on Emerald deck very private , secret and quiet.

I have just sailed on Zaandam Xmas/ New Year shes elegant and would appeal more to older people. iif you want light colours and modern design zaandam is not the ship. Shes due for drydock perhaps that will change. perhaps shes alittle faded if she is didnt bother me she was so comfortable.

My lower verandah c categary midship stateroom was nice but people walk by the window all the time they cant see in during the day but could see lifeboats hanging down if I looked upwards and there was no sunshine the deck cover kept it off.

Personally I think I'd go one deck below the rooms are larger and less expensive D category but possibly there is minimal engine noise . i had alook in one fairly aft one maybe it was the position of the ship but the occupant loved it and it certainly was larger then mine.

Zaandams shows were mostly not to my taste , i dont like caberet and I thought the ships dancers were clumsy. I cant remember what Corals shows were like . i loved Corals jewellery shops Zaandams not as good.

My favourite ships Norwegian Dream, Diamond Princess and Compagnie Du Ponants Le Diamant. The latter is a small ship does not feature much shopping at all but their shows all had the wow factor highly professional ballet dancers.

Princess have the better variety of daily activities but Zaandams free digital camera classes with a super tutor impressed me.

I was on Zaandam last year, and found only very minor problems. While I prefer Coral, and the Princess line, I would go for the 25% cheaper rate on Zaandam, but, only if the prices were for similar type cabins.

john

Actually for the same cabin type and land cruise add on Princess was a little less than HAL. Went with HAL for the 2 nights in Denali.

Archived