HAL Volendam, Zuiderdam, Westerdam or Celebrity Infinity?

witsend64

Hello Cruise experts!

I'm planning a cruise for our family of six this summer in late July. Ages of our children are 21, 19, 14 and 14. Have researched and narrowed down to the following 4 cruises:

HAL Volendam 7 night Alaska Inside Passage RT Vancouver

HAL Zuiderdam 7 night Alaska Inside Passage RT Vancouver

HAL Westerdam 7 night Alaskan Explorer RT Seattle

Celebrity Infinity 7 night Alaskan Tracy Arm Fjord RT Seattle

Roundtrip airfare is a factor in keeping the costs down, which is why I chose the four choices above. I'm leaning toward the Volendam, although I'm getting so confused at this point! Any experts want to weigh in and help me with this decision? Thanks so much!

Let me also add that the Volendam and Zuiderdam itineraries are identical, they just sail on different days. They both visit Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan and cruise Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Westerdam has 4 ports and visits Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. It cruises Glacier Bay but not Tracy Arm. Finally, Infinity visits 4 ports as well, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, but as you all well know, it doesn't offer Glacier Bay, only Tracy Arm.

So, all this information but I still can't decide.

Two of the bigger factors that went into our decision to travel on the Volendam this summer is the fact that it leaves on a Wednesday and the Inside Passage itinerary. In reviewing cruise ship schedules for each of the ports that we will visit, there are fewer ships that will be in port at the same time we are- in fact I believe that in one of the ports we will be the only ship there. This does appear to be common with Weds departures, the Sat departures appear to have much busier visits in all ports. In regards to the intinerary, we preferred the Inside Passage, as from what I have heard from others who have cruised from Seattle, the stop in Victoria is not really worth it, as you are there for such a short time and later in the evening. In both cases you do get to see Glacier Bay, which is great, and it appears that you will visit Sitka as opposed to Skagway, but Skagway is a place we really wanted to visit, so another reason to go with the Inside Passage itinerary. Good luck, have a great time planning and I look forward to hearing what you decide!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

RT Vancouver will be more scenic (I've done both). To get Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm on the same itinerary is a real treat.

I've been on the Volendam & Oosterdam (sister ship to Zuiderdam) and both are fine. I liked the O a little better because it was newer and a little larger. Reading the ship reviews here on CC should be helpful for you to decide.

Best wishes on your decision!

The Zuiderdam has about the best food I've had on a cruise ship. But then food is subjective. Others will say they've had better food on another line. Buffet closes at 8pm on HAL. You have hungry teenagers. Room service is the late night option. I'm not sure if Celebrity's buffet closes early or not. Zuiderdam does a great cruise Inside Passage to Alaska but the Zaandam does the same itinerary.

Air fare will be cheaper into Seattle than Vancouver.

Better scenery on the cruises that depart from Vancouver but more cost effective out of Seattle.

I chose Volendam for the itinerary. Wednesday departure should be less crowded in ports. Since airfare is much less into Seattle we will fly into there and take the amtrak to Vancouver. It's inexpensive and supposed to be scenic. There are also bus services that run as well.

I have a 6 year old daughter and read only good things about club HAl.

The most important part to me was to see both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. If I am going to fly all the way across the country and spend alot of money I don't want to have to pick between two beautiful places and feel like I'm missing something! This isn't a trip where I felt like the ship was the most important part. For me, it was the itinerary.

I ended up on the Westerdam option personally due to some financial considerations.

1) Flights to Seattle Cheaper

2) RT Seattle means no need for passports (even though recommended)

I think the difference for 2 of us was about $600 going the RT Seattle route. And since we are a party of 8 total it helped out the others too.

But if I could, a cruise that hit Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay would of ranked higher but I was fine with just Glacier Bay. Plus a weekday departure to have less crowded ports.

Maybe for 2014 if we find out we like cruising.

Roundtrip airfare is a factor in keeping the costs down, which is why I chose the four choices above.

I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been doing a lot of research and was looking at a lot of the same cruises about a month ago.

Given that you cite budget has a concern, have you taken a look at roundtrip airfare to Vancouver? The price to fly into Vancouver is massive compared to Seattle and while I recognize you can drive or take a train to me that seems like a big hassle.

We ultimately booked the Westerdam roundtrip out of Seattle. We felt like this was a strong compromise given that we will get to still see Glacier Bay, but spend a little bit less than if we traveled to Vancouver.

For you, if you can afford to travel roundtrip out of Vancouver, I would!

Roundtrip airfare is a factor in keeping the costs down, which is why I chose the four choices above.

I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been doing a lot of research and was looking at a lot of the same cruises about a month ago.

Given that you cite budget has a concern, have you taken a look at roundtrip airfare to Vancouver? The price to fly into Vancouver is massive compared to Seattle and while I recognize you can drive or take a train to me that seems like a big hassle.

We ultimately booked the Westerdam roundtrip out of Seattle. We felt like this was a strong compromise given that we will get to still see Glacier Bay, but spend a little bit less than if we traveled to Vancouver.

For you, if you can afford to travel roundtrip out of Vancouver, I would!

Air in all probability into Seattle will be cheaper...

Add a bus trip to the Port of Vancouver ?? or overnight and the train...(each way)

Volendam and Century (U don't mention her) would be a toss up although with younger persons I might go with the Volendam (regardless of the fact HAL is known for an older crowd...your guys are not that young overall) for inside swimming at times allowed in AK. Outside on Century basically 3 hot tubs and a cold pool.

I was disappointed in the "Inside Passage" last year on the Century but not as disappointed as a return out of Seattle. The big ships are doing less and less regardless of where they leave from.

Infinity would be my choice out of Seattle.... a completely refurbished ship with an indoor warm pool (for floating) (that also has some age restrictions but fewer when in Ak.) & sometimes the outdoor pool was warm enough (for kids) lol

All ships run a kids program to some extent that may have some interest to 14 yr olds. ??

Thanks to all for the helpful replies! I have made a decision and it is indeed the Volendam out of Vancouver! We are so excited. Airfare is currently exactly $100 more per ticket which for our crew will be $600 more. Still, we want to be able to enjoy Vancouver for a few days instead of trains, shuttles, etc. so for us, it is worth the difference in cost. Now the real work begins on planning excursions and all the other "stuff". I'll be back with a load of questions, I'm sure!

• 4 weeks later...
When I look at the HAL itinerary, it lists Tracy Arm as a "Service Call". Will you still sail into it?

The service call refers to a 'shore excursion' to visit Tracy Arm which we are doing from what I understand is that one transfers directly to the charter boat from HAL ship in mid water before the HAL ship carrys on to Juneauicon7.gif

Thanks to all for the helpful replies! I have made a decision and it is indeed the Volendam out of Vancouver! We are so excited. Airfare is currently exactly $100 more per ticket which for our crew will be $600 more. Still, we want to be able to enjoy Vancouver for a few days instead of trains, shuttles, etc. so for us, it is worth the difference in cost. Now the real work begins on planning excursions and all the other "stuff". I'll be back with a load of questions, I'm sure!

As I sit here at my computer, I can see the Volendam out of my window as she is in port today in Wellington :)

Excellent choice for a Round Trip Scenic Cruise of Alaska.

Archived