Best Port to Swim with Dolphins

marcyjane

My daughter and I also did the Royal Dolphin Swim in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park and it was wonderful!! Snorkeling was also good right there. In fact we got there early morning and stayed most of the day and would definately go back...:)

My daughter and I also did the Royal Dolphin Swim in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park and it was wonderful!! Snorkeling was also good right there. In fact we got there early morning and stayed most of the day and would definately go back...:)

We also loved the dolphins at Chankanaab:)

If you have a waterproof camera take it along. It says no cameras but you can use them. We found this out the hard way as we were the only one in our group that didn't take ours along. We had a wonderful time anyway though. The beach is beautiful and the sea lion show is cute. Enjoy!

We really enjoyed the Royal Dolphin Swim at Chankannab in Cozumel. The facilities are very nice and besides the swimming with the dolphins, you get to visit everything else in Chankannab Park, since the price includes free admission to the park.

Ditto....

If you have a waterproof camera take it along. It says no cameras but you can use them. We found this out the hard way as we were the only one in our group that didn't take ours along. We had a wonderful time anyway though. The beach is beautiful and the sea lion show is cute. Enjoy!

Thanks that's good to know.

Marcy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in order to do a dolphin program at Chankanaab in Cozumel, you have to book through the cruiseline. That started only a year ago, so most on here don't know about this new policy. The Dolphin Discovery/Chankanaab website will not let you book it. Once you click that you're on Carnival, they block you, telling you that you must go through the cruiseline. The only way around it is to lie, which involves a risk. Otherwise, you're paying double to go through the cruiseline. Plus, the cruise excursion rushes you in and rushed you out. You don't get enough extra time to enjoy the whole Park, unless you stray from the group and take a taxi back to the ship (which I would recommend doing).

If we disregard this horrible new policy, then I totally agree that Chankanaab/Dolphin Discovery's dolphin program is amazing and well worth doing. We did it before the policy change, and loved it!

We did this tour through the ship and didn't feel rushed at all. Did our dolphin swim, relaxed on the beach for over an hour, had lunch and watched the sea lion show. We were told we could go back whenever we wanted just to find our guide. We all went in taxis so all she had to do was give the taxi driver out voucher. We didn't feel rushed in the least bit.

we lied about it. Booked through the website and just said I was on a different cruise line.

They were having a Valentines Special that month and I booked the 2 of us for $150. It was buy 1 get the other half off. We caught a cab to the park and they didnt ask us anything at check in about our ship.:D

We did the dolphin encounter and snorkel at St. Anthony's Key in Roatan, it was amazing!!!! You are allowed to have your own camera and take pictures, the dolphins will show off for you just so that you can take pictures. There is also someone there who takes pictures that you can buy later. We loved St. Anthony's Key so much and snorkeling with the Dolphins after the traditional encounter was amazing. It was really cool, I would highly recommend it!!!

There are two excursions if you decide on this, one is just the part to stand in the shallows and do the encounter and the other is to do the encounter and snorkel. The folks who just did the encounter then had to go while others stayed and prepared to snorkel looked really sad. Food for thought if you decide to go with this one.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time!

One other quick question. I've read there are lockers to put you purse, billfold, change of clothing etc are these lockers free for you to use and did you feel safe leaving your money and passport there?

Thanks so much,

Marcy

One other quick question. I've read there are lockers to put you purse, billfold, change of clothing etc are these lockers free for you to use and did you feel safe leaving your money and passport there?

Thanks so much,

Marcy

The ones in Cozumel were free and we used them. Had no problems.

Another vote for Roatan -- Anthony's Key--they treat their dolphins well and have a good size lagoon for them. Their trainers teach you how to interact with them and advise you of places they do not like to be touched--snorkeling with them is the best part and worth the extra money--the dolphins seemed happy and were playful -- they had a few calves swimming with their mothers--so cute--the lockers were included in the price--beautiful place:)

No island! These creatures should be left to the wild.

This. I'd love to swim with them but I'd feel horrible. Imagine if some alien creature hopped on your back and made you drag them along..... I mean I'd love to do it but I would feel guilty.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using MS/DOS

At Anthony's Key the dolphins are not made to push or pull people--they are free to choose if they want to swim with with the guests during the snorkel--or go off by themselves to another part of the lagoon--that is why IMO it is the better choice

I second that st anthony's key is the place for dolphins been there twice been to the one in cozumel didnt like it much stepping into a tank instead being with the dolphins..love it and going again in november..only way !

Thanks so much,

Marcy

There was a locker for all your stuff at St. Anthony's Key. They also had showers and a changing area if you wanted to rinse off after being in the salt water.

Archived