Soverign of the Seas - April 18-22

This will be my first time cruising- and to say the least I am now getting nervous - Im not sure what to expect... Ive read thru some of the posts and not sure if I picked the right ship for us.. I read somewhere that this ship is the 'geriatric' ship - lots of oldies and wheelchairs - we are 35 and 40 - not spring chickens, but not ready for the geritol just yet either...

Im not sure about the attire either - are shorts and flip flops ok or do i have to worry about looking like im going to the debutant dance every night?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

and also not to bring up a bad bug thing again - but is that bedbug thing a common occurance on ships - and we are just hearing about it because the people made a big thing of it?????

I haven't read that it's a geriatric ship, but DH and I will be on her next month, we're in our late 20's. :D

Shorts and flip flops are a no-no in the dining room for dinner. Women wear a sundress or nice slacks, men wear nice slacks, polo shirt, etc.

Until just recently I hadn't heard a word about the bedbug thing. Honestly, IMO, it's probably a very rare occurance that seems like it's a big deal because it's gotten so much attention here. As I've found in all my travel planning, one bad review with something creepy like that is enough to make the masses paranoid. When the chances of it happening to you are very slim.

Enjoy your cruise and post a review when you get back!

DON'T BE NERVOUS!! I've sailed the Sovereign 5 times, and I've never thought it to be a 'geriatric' ship (I'm 98.....everyone's young to me...JUST KIDDING!!!!!) You'll find all ages groups, and lots in your age group! Shorts and flip flops are fine for during the day, but not really appropriate for the dining room. If you eat in the Windjammer, or one of the other venues, (Johnny Rockets, etc.) shorts are fine. I'd suggest you look at the Royal Caribbean website regarding dress codes - it'll give you good basic advice. Hubby and I have been on 27 cruises and have NEVER experienced bed bugs, or any other type of bug for that matter (of course, there may be an errant mosquito or something at ports). The Sovereign is a great ship - we'll be on her again 4/29.

Have a great time!!

Michele

The ship has tons of younger people on it....I'm 19 and I went with my mom who is in her early 40's last May and I ended up meeting tons of young people to hang out with...If it's you first cruise I think you will love it...I'm going again on the SOS on May 9th...The rooms are small but I think that is the case with every boat....It's not like ur staying in a mansion, so what do you expect!....Have Fun!!!!:)

Yes, speaking of cabins, don't be surprised (or disappointed) at how small they. The only time you'll find yourself in the cabin is to sleep, shower, change, and maybe nap - we even usually do that up on deck!! There's so much to do (or not do) on a cruise!!

Michele

Don't worry or stress. We just had our first cruise on SOS also and I was worried. For what, who knows. The ship was beautiful. Every age group you can imagine will be on that ship. Dress code for hanging around ship is whatever you please. Dining room no shorts, jeans, etc. Although I have to say that I saw some teenagers that didn't want to adhere to the dress code. Rooms are small as other writer said but the decks and ship are large enough to make up for it. ENJOY YOUR TRIP. I'm sure you'll be back for more.

I'll be on the ship with you next week :) This is my 4th time on the Sovereign- you will notice by doing a search on these boards that a lot of people have been on this ship numerous times. Relax- you will have a great time! There are all age groups on the ship. As far as dress codes, all the above info is correct. You usually don't see as many tuxes and long gowns on formal night on the shorter cruises- most people do dark suits and cocktail dresses. Make sure you pack something colorful for the midnight caribbean buffet :) Pack your bathing suit and what you want to wear to dinner the first night in your carry on, sometimes luggage doesn't get delivered until after dinner. What deck are you on? We are on deck 10 this trip. I'll be by the pool with a drink in my hand by 3 at the latest on Monday :)

Archived