Beach Glass in Bermuda

traveller99

Ryvalry,

I know this is off the subject a bit, but we will be in Bermuda in late April for 1 1/2 days. We have a guide for the second day, but I wanted to know what you thought would be interesting for us to do the first 1/2 day. We are docking at Kings Wharf.

Thanks for any help you can give us. Are there any attractions you would say are not to be missed? We have never been to Bermuda, but have heard fabulous things about it.

Thanks,

Terry

I could never work for the tourism department because I'm usually the last to know what to do here. But if you only have 1/2 day, I'd say that you could spend the whole time in Dockyard. There's a craft market with locally made items; museum; glass blowing factory; mini mall; dolphins; and restaurants where you can try some of the local cuisine. You just walk off the ship and you're there. I'll try to put a link here. http://www.bermuda.com/visitors/dockyard/

If you're like me, you want to go where the locals are when you travel, so you can also make your way into our main city Hamilton by bus or ferry and just walk around and explore. Even if you're not planning on spending money, the window shopping is not bad. Fort Hamilton is a little known place but it's not really in the centre of town.

In my opinion a must see is Verdmont Museum in Smith's parish. It's a Bermuda house built in the 18th century and it's been kept in an almost original state. There's no electricity and the furniture and woodwork are amazing. They had a wedding dress from that time on display and it's amazing to see what they did by hand.

They have on display dolls, children's books, odd looking cribs, a leather rocking horse, china. All from that era. In the attic there's a wooden replica of the museum. It's amazing to see the little side rooms with the china pots that were used for the bathrooms. There is also a slave house right next to it where the help lived. No pictures are allowed to preserve the contents. http://www.bnt.bm/Places_to_Visit/verdmont_museum.php

I suggested the first two places because you can take your time, being that the tour will have you under some time restraints. If there's something that you're particularly interested in, then let me know.

I'm going to try to post pics. These were taken at Ferry and it felt more like a treasure hunt. I haven't been to the other places to compare, but there were a few larger, thicker chunks. Also saw the top of a pottery bottle. Few pieces of blue. The beach wasn't completely covered with glass, but there were quite a few pieces there.

Note: I wouldn't recommend going to this place by yourself. It's sort of secluded and visitors are sporadic.

ClearVerticalBeach.jpg

Hark! That's big.

GreenBeach2.jpg

My dad just looked and said the thicker ones are from the 30's, 40's. The jug was a water bottle from as far back as the 30's that fishermen used for water.

Blue.jpg

BottleBottom.jpg

Brokenbottle2.jpg

ClearBeach3.jpg

Clearatbeach.jpg

Green.jpg

Not having much luck posting these pics. Had to delete some to meet the limit of 6. If the weather eases later, I'll try for Alexander Beach.

Zow-weeee, look at that nice piece of blue. I found my tiny pieces of blue in the cave.

The Island Shop is off Water Street toward the water where AS Cooper and some other stores are...Somers Wharf. I need to know if I can email someone at the store to explain my problem. I bought a needlepoint kit and somehow I managed to lose the colored illustration.:( I have the directions but the illustration is also very helpful. I'm hoping that they would be willing to make a color copy for me and send it off. I will reinburse for any costs or send money ahead. I can also send a copy of my sales receipt. I believe the lady's name is Theresa. If you get there, be sure to look for Flea, the big orange cat, who "works" in the shop....give him a good chin rub for me.:)

iheart,

I don't think the kit came with a colour illustration. The clerk opened one and emptied everything out and the only thing we saw missing from your pic is the colour key to the right. But that was attached to the canvas.

Let me know if you're sure that it came with one, and I can always check the store in St. George's tomorrow to see if what they sell is different.

iheart,

I don't think the kit came with a colour illustration. The clerk opened one and emptied everything out and the only thing we saw missing from your pic is the colour key to the right. But that was attached to the canvas.

Let me know if you're sure that it came with one, and I can always check the store in St. George's tomorrow to see if what they sell is different.

Maybe I didn't lose anything but I thought there was a colored picture of the finished item in the packet. Now I feel like a real idiot after you've taken the time to check on this.:o I guess I'm just used to the way things are packaged here....there's always a picture showing the end product.

It's probably no different at St. George. If you've never met Flea, he's another Bermuda goodwill embassador....even the animals are friendly.:D He strolls around St. George during the day posing for pictures when he's not sleeping in his basket on the counter of the Island Shop. We saw him in the Square one night and another time he was greeting people at the ship's gangway.:)

IMG_4261.jpg

There once was a story done on the kitty. I must go pet him one day.

I told the sales clerk the same thing, that we thought there may have been a pic of the finished item, but she pointed to the picture on the canvas and said that's it, lol.

It was no problem because I had to pass the store anyway to get to the post office and other places. It only took 2 seconds.

Archived