Where is the best place to purchase pearls?

rob&deb

This is almost impossible question to answer. The prices for high quality black pearls are very similar on the islands. The prices for lower quality vary greatly. If you are looking for the lower quality pearls, when if you find one you like and the price seems right, buy it there and don't wait. If you are looking for high quality pearls, you should check the prices on the ship. Their prices are very close to what you will pay off the ship for the same quality. The pearls at the pearl farms are about the same prices as the stores. The prices in the Cook Islands were a few dollars cheaper but they don't have a large selection of the cheaper pearls. Do some research online and know before hand how to identify quality. For the higher quality pearls, it takes an expert to know the true value so you would be wise to stick with the shops you feel you can trust. Mike

We found that peal prices were lower intahiti, then Moorea, and more expensive in Bora Bora. We ended up pruchasing my pearl at the Black Pearl Gem Company in Moorea. they offer free transfer service to their shop. It's a wonderful shop, they even provide free drinks while you shop. They had a wide variety of pearl, both set and loose, in every price range. We told them approx. how much we wanted to spend on a loose pearl, and they pulled out quite a few, I browsed through and found one that absolutely called to me. :) Because pearls are duty free if set, I had them set it, it was ready the next day (we were on a land vacation so we could do that). Overall, great buying experience. I had done my research before and knew they were a trusted company. They have a website, they also have a US service center.

http://www.blackpearlgemco.com

Nice people, highly recommended!

Thanks for the info. Since I have never purchased black pearls before what kind of a price range am I looking at? I am just looking for a average size to be set for a ring? Again thanks for the info.:)

• 6 months later...

I have done Tahiti 3 times and I am booked again for 9/06. I have found My Pearl of Tahiti to be the best quality and unusual designs. This shop was recommended by Jan Price in her Tahiti Guide book and I love all the pieces I have purchased. From the dock in Tahiti facing the town it is a short walk to the left on the main street. Have a great trip.

most important factor is the luster, a sharp reflection means a thicker layer of mother of pearl and thus good quality. you should decide on the shape and colour and then look for the one which appeals most to you. there are zillions of pearls and boutiques, so to compare them is impossible. Just look around and decide on your budget beforehand!

BTW you may scratch lightly over the surface with your nail just to make sure they did not polish the pearl to make it shine more... some (even some reputable stores) use paste to do that.

X-ray and all that is marketing talk as the government has set very strict rules pertaining to the thickness of the mother of pearl layer (min. 0.8 mm)

let me know if you want more info:)

My wife comparison shopped for six days before arriving in Moorea, then another day in Papeete after, and she found the best design/quality/price combination at Black Pearl in Moorea. She's very picky. I spent over half an hour drinking their Cokes and reading my e-mail for free on their terminal while she debated. She just wore the earings to my son's wedding, with lots of compliments.

David

My husband and I will be on the Tahitian Princess March 2006. We were wondering where the best place to buy pearls is. We are doing the Cook Islands as well. Any info would be VERY much appreicated!:)

We found the best prices in the US. Check them out before you go.

Second best were on board ship. Highest prices were in Tahiti, Bora Bora was the highest.

Yesterday's newspaper contained an ad from JC Penney for a sell on "Tahitian Black Pearls" - choice of earrings or pendent for $69 - set in 14k white gold. Sure hope they're not really Tahitian pearls, I just paid more than 5 times that amount for a pendent in Papeete. If anyone is in a mall this weekend, stop in and look at these pearls and let us know what you think.

Yesterday's newspaper contained an ad from JC Penney for a sell on "Tahitian Black Pearls" - choice of earrings or pendent for $69 - set in 14k white gold. Sure hope they're not really Tahitian pearls, I just paid more than 5 times that amount for a pendent in Papeete. If anyone is in a mall this weekend, stop in and look at these pearls and let us know what you think.

Check out Robinsons, I bought my wife two beautiful large pendant pearls there, for much less than we saw on the ship and in the Tahitian stores.

Other advantage to the US, if you have a problem, it is easier to take care of here at home.

Archived