Documenting the dream western caribbean 01/21-28/2012; the money monkey goes cruising

radrayjax

Nice shots of the spa area radrayjax.

So nice to see "my" C2 rower is still bolted to the gym floor (post #325). As you can see under the lady's bent leg, no one is on it. I think only some of the crew use it. I did nearly 50K total on that machine in June. Just steady rowing. Near had anyone come over and ask when I'd be done.

And that they brought back the tea service in the Relaxation Lounge (post#333) which was absent on out cruise in June. Ice water only with no lemon. Tea is so freshing after a steam and sauna.

And you hit the secret passage way into the gym locker rooms. (Post #336) They don't lock the passage way door like they do the outside gym locker room doors. So you can enter this early in the morning before they open the gym and use the showers here which are much better than the cabin showers.

What an awesome review. Like others, I skipped at first but I'm so glad I stumbled on this detailed account of Ray and Fran's adventures with a Monkey... lol, that's what I referred to it as on FB anyway. I started yesterday and throughout my workday I've been able to get up to speed. From a few other reviews of the Dream, and now including this one - she may be in my near future (after my 1st cruise of course). I like your unique way of story telling, as you have documented most of the SHIP as I would like to know her. Thanks again for taking the time to post...PS you and your wife (#3) are adorable! :D

DOCUMENTING THE TRIP: CHAPTER 3: JANUARY 23, 2012:

1960MEX20CENTOBV2.jpg.COZUMEL.1960MEX20CENTREV.jpg

Flanking the island name above are photos of a Mexican 20 centavos from over half a century ago. With inflation over time and the chopping of zeros from the currency every few years (100 old pesos can become 1 new peso), the coin has no commerce value, but does have a some numismatic value. Anyway, I thought I’d set the mode for the day in MEXICO!

I’d done my homework. The largest town on the island, San Miguel, is about two miles north of Puerta Maya. I might be able to walk it but the walking time would take too much out of the limited port day. Also, I didn’t know the conditions so I would hire a taxi both ways. Taxies are regulated so the price would be what it would be.

Google earth map of Cozumel:

COZUMELMAP.jpg

Closer map showing route from Puerta Maya to the heart of San Miguel (about 2 miles):

COZUMELMAPROUTETOSANMIGUEL.jpg

Though obscured in the above Google photo by clouds, other ships, including the Norwegian Sun out of Port Canaveral still dock at the pier at San Miguel. Carnival and other lines had to have deeper portage for the newer megaships so they (conspired) to build Puerta Maya. It’s too bad, because most Dream passenger forget that there is a real town a short distance away from the port.

There is a cluster of about four or five banks located within close proximity to each other in San Miguel. The goal was to obtain crisp, new currency at one of the banks (or more to gather a nice grouping).

Here is a sample of what I was looking for:

Series 2010 Mexico 50 Pesos note:

MEXICO50PFRNT.jpg

MEXICO50PBACK.jpg

The only reason I have this note as a sample is because my [step] daughter-in-law is from Puerta, Mexico, and spent a few months last year with her parents. Puerta is southeast of Mexico City and is the 2nd largest city in the country. Anyway, she just came back to the states after the holidays and gave me this new note and a couple of 10peso coins (about $0.76).

The new notes are considerably smaller than the older series (5 inches long) and they are plastic! They have a number of other anti-counterfeiting devices, including watermarks and micro printing.

Before going further, let’s post the FUN TIMES and get them out of the way.

Puerta Maya shopping guide and map from Carnival:

Below are the Puerta Maya shopping guide and map given out by Carnival. The emphasis, of course, is on jewelry, which didn’t matter to us. At the bottom of the page is a map San Miguel along the main roadway Rafael E. Melgar and shops in that area.

COZUMELSHOPPINGGUIDEPG1.jpg

COZUMELSHOPPINGGUIDEPG2.jpg

COZUMELSHOPPINGGUIDEPG3.jpg

Looking at the map at the bottom of the pages 2 and 3, we ended up walking from Calle 2 along REM blvd to the Punta Langosta shopping area where the Norwegian Sun was docked.

While I’m on a roll with scans, I’ll share the letter that Carnival gave to all passengers about crew gratuities. I had pre-paid but I kept this anyway.

Gratuity Letter from Carnival:

GRATUITYLETTER.jpg

Time to get on with the day, I’ve got a sunrise and an arrival to catch!

MONDAY JANUARY 23, 2012: SUNRISE AND ARRIVAL:

Sunrise was at 7:27AM. I had a 6:30 wake-up call at 6:40AM and checked our status on channel 3, as usual. Speed was just under 16knots.

Channel 3: Position about 20 miles northeast of Cozumel 6:43AM

P1020318.jpg

Channel 3: Closer scale map of our position 6:42AM

P1020327.jpg

While dressing and sitting on the throne shortly before 7:00AM I do a towel test. I had discussed this earlier in the thread: I check the ships’ apparent movement with a hand towel in the bathroom. The hand towel is free to swing back and forth. Most of the time it’s movement at the bottom was about a half inch side-to-side. Occasionally it would swing an inch side to side. NEVER did it thrash about.

Checking the towel’s pendulum swing 6:59AM

P1020333.jpg

Shortly before 7:20 I made my way forward to the observation deck. Since we were heading southeast, it turned out that I would get better shots with a due east vantage so I want aft to the Panorama Deck area overlooking the central pool. Almost no one was using lounge chairs at this time.

I took scads of photos of the sunrise and colorful clouds but I don’t want to create endless posts of same with only subtle variations from photo to photo. So I’m going to set an arbitrary limit of 12-15 photos to tell the story of the sunrise.

There were clouds low on the eastern horizon this morning so I couldn’t see the very instant when the sun first peaked out at the horizon line.

Looking for the “hot spot”7:23 AM

P1020344.jpg

ALMOST here – some orange on the horizon 7:27 AM

P1020358.jpg

THERE, my first solid glimpse! 7:28 AM

P1020365.jpg

Definitely getting brighter a minute later 7:29 AM

P1020369.jpg

Telephoto shot a minute later 7:30 AM

P1020378.jpg

Obscured by clouds, but the sky is getting brighter 7:31 AM

P1020387.jpg

Some clouds to the north and east nearby showing great color effects 7:33 AM

P1020395.jpg

Brighter yet 7:36 AM

P1020404.jpg

COZUMEL ON THE HORIZON!

Hazy telephoto shot of buildings in the distance to the southeast 7:42 AM

P1020412.jpg

GLORIOUS colors! 7:43 AM

P1020413.jpg

Forward portside view: Note the reflection of the water on the windows below 7:45 AM

P1020421.jpg

The sun is UP! Enjoy! 7:53 AM

P1020426.jpg

APPROACH TO COZUMEL:

With the sunrise out of the way, I go forward again to the observation deck to get better views of the approach to Cozumel.

The coast of Cozumel, a hazy ship is seen to the right 7:58 AM

P1020441.jpg

Telephoto shot of two other ships that are turning into port, a Norwegian Cruise Lines something and a Royal Caribbean CL something 7:59 AM

P1020442.jpg

With the next few shots I go port to starboard and back again because I can make out the MAINLAND of Mexico to the west (starboard) while we approach Cozumel to the east (port).

Portside telephoto shot of the coast of Cozumel with more details 7:59 AM

P1020443.jpg

Starboard telephoto shot of the coast of the Mexican mainland 8:00 AM

P1020446.jpg

Portside telephoto shot of the coast of Cozumel further south. Note the building to the right two shots ago is now to the left. 8:06 AM

P1020454.jpg

The other two ships seem to be docked or very nearly at dock. 8:23 AM

P1020466.jpg

Telephoto shot of the buildings seen to the left above. 8:27 AM

P1020475.jpg

Telephoto shot show the spread between the NCL ship (left) at the pier at San Miguel and there TWO RCCL ships that can be made out at Puerta Maya (right). 8:29 AM

P1020478.jpg

This is either a Mexican Naval patrol boat speeding by or a very well equipped drug runner. 8:32 AM

P1020481.jpg

The boat passes by. 8:33AM

P1020485.jpg

We still have about an hour and a half until the official 10:00 docking time. Decide that it is time to gather up Fran, have breakfast, and get ready for the day.

At about 8:40 I go back to the room to check on her and get another position fix (as if there is a question at this point!).

The larger scale map on channel 3 shows us very close. 8:41AM

P1020493.jpg

From the scale of this map I’d say we’re less than two miles north of San Miguel. 8:41AM

P1020494.jpg

Speed is under 13knots, temp is about 78 degrees. Fran is about ready. I go forward to the OD for a last quick look before going below for breakfast. We’re now just south of San Miguel. No way docking is still over an hour off.

Now looking slightly aft to the Norwegian CL ship at San Miguel. 8:43AM

P1020499.jpg

Telephoto shot the Norwegian CL ship at San Miguel. 8:43AM

P1020501.jpg

BREAKFAST IN THE SCARLET DINING ROOM

We’re not in a rush to leave to go on the Money Expedition so we decide to have breakfast in the Scarlet Dining Room, which is on the Lobby Deck (3) to the far aft. We walk aft on the Panorama Deck (you’ve seen that path) and take the aft elevators directly to the Scarlett.

Actually this direct route down is about the ONLY way to get to the Scarlett on the lobby deck. Though MANY have accused the ship of being unnavigable from forward to aft on the Promenade (5) and Atlantic (4) decks, I will show conclusively later on that this is not the case.

HOWEVER, on the Lobby Deck the ship’s main galley separates the Crimson Dining Room amidships from the Scarlet Dining room aft. So, if you are on the Lobby deck, you must climb stairs or go up an elevator to the Atlantic Deck to proceed forward from the Crimson.

Approximate path from the Lobby Deck aft elevators to our table in the Scarlet Dining Room.

LOBBYDECK03AFTMARKUP.jpg

We arrived at the Scarlet at about 8:50. There was a quick line and we were lead to an 8-top table with six others seated ahead of us.

Arrival at the Scarlett Dining Room. 8:52AM

P1020504.jpg

Starboard side entrance to the Scarlett Dining Room. 8:53AM

P1020507.jpg

Heading to our table on the port side. 8:56AM

P1020510.jpg

Our tablemates. The couple in the back is Irwin and Diane from Canada, with their two children. 9:15 AM

P1020513.jpg

This older, unmarried couple sat across from me. They’ve had umpteeump cruises. 9:19 AM

P1020514.jpg

Diane and her daughter. 9:19 AM

P1020515.jpg

Fran’s breakfast: That’sturkey bacon and sausage with pancakes and eggs. 9:23 AM

P1020518.jpg

My breakfast was my favorite: French toast (sf syrup), two eggs over hard. 9:24 AM

P1020516.jpg

We both enjoyed breakfast.

I’m not sure of the exact time but at some point here we DOCKED! Maybe 9:30?

A HUGE NCL ship seen through the windows of the Scarlet DR. 9:48 AM

P1020522.jpg

After breakfast we head upstairs to fill our thermoses for the expedition. She gets juice and I get “coffee milk” which is diluted coffee with creamer and/or milk.

I had no intention or need to get caught in the first rush out the gangplank so I got out on the portside Promenade deck to take photos from closer to the action and reconnoiter.

FIRST LOOKS AT COZUMEL AT THE DOCK

I was topside at 10:00AM

Long shot of people heading into Puerta Maya 10:01AM

P1020527.jpg

Tele shot of the Puerta Maya pier shops 10:01AM

P1020528.jpg

The pier leading from the NCL docks to Puerta Maya 10:01AM

P1020530.jpg

Now I can see that the BIG ship is the NCL Voyager of the Seas, which was #1 until the Oasis OTS 10:01AM

P1020532.jpg

A money shot of the Voyager of the Seas 10:01AM

P1020533.jpg

A mainland ferry, docked near the Voyager of the Seas 10:01AM

P1020536.jpg

Telephoto shot of the shops of Puerta Maya, on the south side of the pier 10:02AM

P1020537.jpg

Get a load of that turquoise water below! 10:14AM

P1020543.jpg

A closer look at the shops on the pier 10:15AM

P1020547.jpg

A closer look at people disembarking 10:17AM

P1020552.jpg

Now it was our turn. Around 10:30 I returned to the room, got Fran, and we headed down to deck 0 to disembark.

I didn’t get as far as I wanted today but….

TOMORROW: THE COZUMEL SHOPS AND THE FIRST MONEY EXPEDITION!

What an awesome review. Like others, I skipped at first but I'm so glad I stumbled on this detailed account of Ray and Fran's adventures with a Monkey... lol, that's what I referred to it as on FB anyway. I started yesterday and throughout my workday I've been able to get up to speed. From a few other reviews of the Dream, and now including this one - she may be in my near future (after my 1st cruise of course). I like your unique way of story telling, as you have documented most of the SHIP as I would like to know her. Thanks again for taking the time to post...PS you and your wife (#3) are adorable! :D

THANKS! How long is your cruise going be be?

radrayjax, just a point of clarification...the pier the NCL ships are at is NOT Puerta Maya, though incredibly close. It's the TMM International Pier and does have it's own set of shops and a junior Senor Frogs and I understand it now has a small extension of Pancho's Backyard. And passengers at the TMM International Pier can come over to Puerta Maya to shop if they want to as you only need your S&S card and/or passport to get out on the PM pier.

radrayjax, just a point of clarification...the pier the NCL ships are at is NOT Puerta Maya, though incredibly close. It's the TMM International Pier and does have it's own set of shops and a junior Senor Frogs and I understand it now has a small extension of Pancho's Backyard. And passengers at the TMM International Pier can come over to Puerta Maya to shop if they want to as you only need your S&S card and/or passport to get out on the PM pier.

I thought I was clear that the NCL ships docked at San Miguel, 2 miles north of Puerta Maya. I mentioned the Google Earth map in an earlier post and that the other set of docks were obscured by clouds in that satellite photo.

I managed to capure a shot of both sets of piers, two miles apart, from about 2 miles out. I never implied that both piers are at Puerta Maya.

What is it with D[insert First Initial of The Relationship] in Cruise Critic posts? Where does this come from? This really seems so artificial, like an air-hug or air-kiss. I think an air guitar would be more productive. People really think that saving a single key stroke from son to DS is going save so much time with these write-ups?

YES! THANK YOU! :D :D :D

It took me forever to figure out what the heck people were talking about with all their D-this and D-that. When I found out what it meant, I wanted to shoot myself.

Archived