What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

Hi,

I'm Portia, 55 and single. I used to travel with my ex. After our breakup, I would travel with different friends, but there were many times when I was ready to book, finances and excuses got in the way.

Once I found out about Carnival's (old Cat 1A) solo cabins, I was hooked.

I've taken 5 solo cruises and have 2 more booked this year and 2 booked next year.

I'm very sociable and never had a problem meeting people.

I'm booked on the Breakaway in May 2013. If anyone is sailing with me, maybe we can chat.

Good for you! You do join the roll calls? yes? I find it a great way to meet others for dinner/ shore excursions etc...

Also, I have found amazing deals on single supplements on rccl too.

I'm doing my 2nd solo trans-atlantic next month super excited!!

happy planning,

Laura

I am Paula a soon to be divorced,39 year old. this May will be my first solo cruise. I was apprehensive at first about booking because I had this idea that "solo=looking to hook up"... but after reading some of these posts that assumption hold very little proof. Now I get to visit some sights that are on my bucket list. My fear, like most, is eating alone. Iam looking forward to down time. This trip is to a) hopefully celebrate my divorce and b) present for my big 4- :eek:

I am Paula a soon to be divorced,39 year old. this May will be my first solo cruise. I was apprehensive at first about booking because I had this idea that "solo=looking to hook up"... but after reading some of these posts that assumption hold very little proof. Now I get to visit some sights that are on my bucket list. My fear, like most, is eating alone. Iam looking forward to down time. This trip is to a) hopefully celebrate my divorce and b) present for my big 4- :eek:

Aloha Paula, welcome to the solo cruiser world....sorry hear about your recent D, but good to see you getting on with life and what better way then to travel on a cruise and see the world.... smile....

Hi Paula,

I am Jeanette, 57, solo traveler. You will have an amazing time. Cruising is perfect as you can go be around others or do your own thing. In May I will be taking my 4th solo cruise. It is truly wonderful. I have met many wonderful people on excursions and at meal time. Perfect that you have decided to

get out and live. Since my divorce I have been on 7 cruises and traveling with

friends is nice, but for me I enjoy being able to chart my day as I please

and change my mind and not feel that I am letting others down.

Happy Cruising!

Jeanette

Hi folks. Single, no kids here, about to turn 50 this summer (:eek:). I took my first cruise at age 7, and then picked up again as an adult. I love cruising -- all those stops and sights, and only unpacking once!

Never traveled solo before - always with my family, my aunt, a friend or a singles travel group. All of those were great, but I don't particularly want to wait around for them to either have time or money to travel with me, or to want to go where I want to go. So I think I might give solo cruising a shot.

I'm actually not a huge fan of traveling by myself as a rule, mostly because I don't like to eat alone in restaurants. The cruise setup makes that much less awkward, though. So why not! It's great to see these boards with so many folks raving about solo cruising.

Now the question is when and where? Sooo many choices - it's fun to do the research!

Have you ever thought about cabin sharing for cost savings?

Many have done it, as have I, with much success!

It seems none of my friends either want to cruise as much, or have kid issues, finances, etc for excuses.

Married, 57 year old teacher looking to book second solo cruise. My husband is ok with cruising every 2-3 years. I could cruise 2-3 times a year. We have cruised as a couple, with other couples, with our grown children and grandchild (great fun, but very expensive), just me and a girlfriend, and I have cruised just me and my daughter. I have never had a cruise that wasn't great. However, each set of circumstances makes each cruise VERY different.

I enjoy cruising alone because when I cruise with others I am the unofficial travel agent. I make most plans, etc. I love doing so, but then I also worry during the cruise because I feel like I am responsible if anything goes awry. Solo cruise takes all that pressure off. That is probably the biggest reason I like to cruise alone once in awhile.

If is funny, before I took my first solo cruise I would dream of cruising alone and doing what I wanted when I wanted. I had dreams of making ALL shows, showing up to play all the games, etc. However, when it came down to it and I cruised alone the only thing I did all week was sit in a deck chair and read. I could hardly pull myself out to go eat. It is funny that I had no idea what would really make me happy on a solo cruise. THE most relaxing cruise I have ever been on - loved it.

This is why I booked NCL - no formal dining, pick and choose when and where to eat, eat alone or with others, but meet others at solo gatherings and choose to eat with them for ease.

I would find formal dining a little awkward I think.

This really sounds like it would be the way to go. I may have to give NCL a try.

Hi Karen,

I am 45, no children and never married. I have been on two Carnival cruises with friends and three Norwegian solo.

My first solo was not planned that way. A friend backed out and I was unable to find anyone else to go with. I was so afraid and nervous about meeting people. The first night I went into the main dining room and asked to share a table. I was blessed to have another solo cruiser sit next to me. He told me he always sailed solo and I had nothing to feel uncomfortable about.

I have had a blast on all three solo cruises. Join your meet and greet, smile and say hi. People love to talk about themselves. I never found myself alone unless I wanted to be. Also, I am an introvert by nature, so you do not have to be extroverted to have a great time.

Another Karen.

"I was born a poor black child in the deep south during the Great Depression...wait, that ain't my story!"

This is:

Born and raised in Iowa, moved around a couple of times, spent alot of time in Nashville, TN

Divorced, no children.

Took my first cruise in '05, been on 24 since.

PADI scuba diver, and enjoy anything to do with the water.

Onboard, I'm a big fan of the piano bar, will do many of the games and contests, even the corny ones, sans the "hairy chest contest"

Usually hit the gym everyday, and like naps in the pm

When not cruising, I enjoy my business, traveling, and dancing.

I also like motorcyling and bicycling, did RAGBRAI last year, and hope to do this year again! (google it)

I cruise usually either with a cabin mate or solo, since many of my friends don't cruise near as often as I like to, and give excuses about kids, family, job, finances, or some other lame reason :D

Non smoker, social drinker,

My busy time at home is Oct-Dec so most of the time I prefer to cruise in Jan/Feb/Mar, avoiding as much of the Iowa winter as possible, but have also cruised in May, June, and Oct.

It's been said that I'm fairly good looking, a good dancer, witty, and a lot of fun to be around. (it's also been said that I'm a lunatic, in dire need of social skills, and should be locked up, but they were just kidding...I think?)

Hi,

You should not worry about meeting someone near your age, I have no doubt you will. There was a charming, attractive young man at my dinner table, unaccompanied, unattached, 26 years old. There are also many activities specifically tailored for people in your age group.

This was my first cruise and being single, I went solo. Sailed on Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas March 17 2012. It was a truly wonderful experience, met some fun and great people.

Every moment was perfect except for one that I will probably regret for the rest of my life, so I thought I would share this message in the hopes that others may learn from my mistake.

While living the moment, we don't realize what an impact a single instant in time can make in our life. A yes instead of a no, a hesitation, crossed signals, a fleeting moment that may never come again could have changed our life's path from one direction to another.

The purpose of my trip was not to "cruise" but to simply rest, relax and experience something new.

I met Tom briefly on the Centrum dance floor Thursday evening March 22nd during the 70s dance party and he left an indelible impression.

If anyone knows who he is or how I could get a hold of him, please let me know as I have a message for him:

Dear Tom,

Just wanted to say I'm sorry our signals got crossed. I would have loved to sit down and chat with you.

I want you to know that I was touched by your kindness and thoughtfulness.

I will never forget you and I hope our paths will cross again.

Liz

Hi everyone,

I am a 30-year old, newly-divorced male. I fell in love with cruising last summer in the Mediterranean, when my former wife and I spent 12 nights on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas. So I signed up for Crown & Anchor and the RC credit card and started planning the next cruise. I wasn't planning on being single when my second cruise got here, but I'm not going to let it stop me from going. I'm not incredibly outgoing, but one of the reasons I enjoyed cruising so much is that you can have a conversation with pretty much everyone, young or old, and by the third day you "know" someone everywhere you go.

I'm booked on the Explorer of the Seas on April 26 and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm only a little nervous about the dining, because when I booked it was for two people at an 8-person table. I'm hoping RCCL will adjust my seating now that I'm the only one on the reservation. We were really fortunate on the first cruise to be sat with a great group of people, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have that same luck this time around. If not, I'll ask for a different table the next night. I have no intention of eating at the buffet every night, that's for sure.

Planning to take a good book for when I want to be alone and warming up the pipes for karaoke. Hopefully I can find a good bartender on the first night, give him or her a nice tip and have good, strong Italian Teas, also known as liquid courage or talent juice, ready whenever I need them :)

Any other solos on the 4/26 EOTS Bermuda/Eastern Caribbean?

I'm a 42 year old single male, with no kids and never been married.

I've been cruising for about the last ten years. The first cruise I went on I did solo, mostly because the thought that I couldn't had not occurred to me. When you reach my age and you haven't been married yet, most of your travel has been solo, so I kind of stopped noticing a while ago.

I have gone with friends as well. In ten years of cruising, I've been seven or eight times, and about a fourth of the time I've gone with friends or family. I will say, that even when I go with someone else, unless we're dating, I will spring for the solo cabin if I can afford it. I went with two friends once, each of whom I got along with great, but who didn't get along with each other very well. So it was nice to have my own cabin to return to when they started bickering.

Interesting thing about me, I work in Higher Education and last year (2011) I had the opportunity to work as the Assistant Dean of Students for Semester at Sea. So I lived on the M/V Explorer for 4 months as we circumnavigated the globe and visited 14 countries. You would think that would be enough cruising, but I'm booked in one of the solo cabins in NCL epic in December!:)

Ok lets see......I am a 39 years a young man (No joke...lots of energy), 2 kids and recently divorced. The point of me taking this cruise is I GOT TO GET AWAY! LOL When I was in my twenties I was the life of the party. Always having a great time any where I went. Then kids came along and I started and became a serious person. Too serious. I always take my kids whenever i go on vacation but this year I was awarded another week off from work so I decided that it is time for ME to have some fun and rediscover the fun guy that I know is in me. I am not a shy person and will talk and laugh with anyone...especially after a few drinks....lol I chose a cruise because after reading a lot of articles online i felt it was the best option for me to meet people in a active fun way. Participating in cruise activities (which I am not afraid to get embarrassed) and joining/meeting people on excursions and being active in a fun crowd. Make sense? Ive never been on a cruise before and a vacation alone to a beach resort would probably find me being bored in the hotel room.

Bottom line is I am looking to have a great time with no worries. Anybody else going to do the same?

Ok lets see......I am a 39 years a young man (No joke...lots of energy), 2 kids and recently divorced. The point of me taking this cruise is I GOT TO GET AWAY! LOL When I was in my twenties I was the life of the party. Always having a great time any where I went. Then kids came along and I started and became a serious person. Too serious. I always take my kids whenever i go on vacation but this year I was awarded another week off from work so I decided that it is time for ME to have some fun and rediscover the fun guy that I know is in me. I am not a shy person and will talk and laugh with anyone...especially after a few drinks....lol I chose a cruise because after reading a lot of articles online i felt it was the best option for me to meet people in a active fun way. Participating in cruise activities (which I am not afraid to get embarrassed) and joining/meeting people on excursions and being active in a fun crowd. Make sense? Ive never been on a cruise before and a vacation alone to a beach resort would probably find me being bored in the hotel room.

Bottom line is I am looking to have a great time with no worries. Anybody else going to do the same?

That's the plan! Step outside of my comfort zone, meet a bunch of new people and have fun at all costs. Good luck on your cruise! Which ship are you planning to go on? Everyone says Norwegian is the best for solo cruisers, but I prefer the cuisine and entertainment, not to mention just the overall structure, on Royal Caribbean.

That's the plan! Step outside of my comfort zone, meet a bunch of new people and have fun at all costs. Good luck on your cruise! Which ship are you planning to go on? Everyone says Norwegian is the best for solo cruisers, but I prefer the cuisine and entertainment, not to mention just the overall structure, on Royal Caribbean.

I will be on the carnival glory may 27th out of norfolk. I've seen a lot of people reccomend carnival for solos. Either way i dont care which one it is as long as I get to go and have a great time. :) How about you?

I will be on the carnival glory may 27th out of norfolk. I've seen a lot of people reccomend carnival for solos. Either way i dont care which one it is as long as I get to go and have a great time. :) How about you?

I'm taking a 9-night Bermuda/Eastern Caribbean out of NJ on Explorer of the Seas. If I knew I was going solo when I booked I would've looked at Carnival just for more of the party atmosphere, but I've been on the roll call for my cruise and looked at some previous "cruise compasses" from this trip online and it seems like they cater pretty well to singles. If not, it's a huge ship with a ton of stuff to do, so I'll keep busy on my own and do anything I can to make sure I have a great time, too. Have fun on yours, too!

Hi all

I'm single, mid-30s, no kids (unless you count the Mog) and I love travelling on my own - not just cruising. It just gives me so much freedom. I can go when I want, where I want, how I want. I can do as much or as little as I want and I don't have to answer to anyone or be made feel guilty for my choices. (Can you tell I've had a few bad experiences travelling with 'friends' and family? :D )

I also love having my own room to come back to. Not having to share the bathroom with someone or worry about leaving clothes or shopping strewn around. ;) And, as someone who suffers from chronic migraines, the peace and quiet... enough said!

That's my two cents :p

Becs

I'm taking a 9-night Bermuda/Eastern Caribbean out of NJ on Explorer of the Seas. If I knew I was going solo when I booked I would've looked at Carnival just for more of the party atmosphere, but I've been on the roll call for my cruise and looked at some previous "cruise compasses" from this trip online and it seems like they cater pretty well to singles. If not, it's a huge ship with a ton of stuff to do, so I'll keep busy on my own and do anything I can to make sure I have a great time, too. Have fun on yours, too!

I thought of taking a cruise out of NJ. I used to live there and would visit family before and after the cruise. Have a great trip as well!

I have been on 75 Cruises and leaving on 76 in 6 days , about 30 of them have been Solo.It is hard finding people that like to cruise as much as I do , I have learned that Solo Cruising works best for me.......Bon Voyage Solo Cruisers

garyjustcruising.jpg.6cb87a5d768c1c05085579d6e1b04770.jpg

Hi everyone,

I am a 30-year old, newly-divorced male. I fell in love with cruising last summer in the Mediterranean, when my former wife and I spent 12 nights on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas. So I signed up for Crown & Anchor and the RC credit card and started planning the next cruise. I wasn't planning on being single when my second cruise got here, but I'm not going to let it stop me from going. I'm not incredibly outgoing, but one of the reasons I enjoyed cruising so much is that you can have a conversation with pretty much everyone, young or old, and by the third day you "know" someone everywhere you go.

I'm booked on the Explorer of the Seas on April 26 and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm only a little nervous about the dining, because when I booked it was for two people at an 8-person table. I'm hoping RCCL will adjust my seating now that I'm the only one on the reservation. We were really fortunate on the first cruise to be sat with a great group of people, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have that same luck this time around. If not, I'll ask for a different table the next night. I have no intention of eating at the buffet every night, that's for sure.

Planning to take a good book for when I want to be alone and warming up the pipes for karaoke. Hopefully I can find a good bartender on the first night, give him or her a nice tip and have good, strong Italian Teas, also known as liquid courage or talent juice, ready whenever I need them :)

Any other solos on the 4/26 EOTS Bermuda/Eastern Caribbean?

Join your roll call and put together a table. Easy to do by linking reservations.

Have a great cruise!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be 40 in 2 weeks. Divorced remarried then widowed. I have 3 kids. I booked my first solo for next year. I figure I'm 0 for 2 so I may want to get used to doing things on my own. Ok it sounds more depressing than it feels! I'm very social but after being with someone and looking out for kids for my whole adult life...I'm totally looking forward to doing what I want when I want! I'm actively involved in my roll call and I expect to have a blast. I just decided I'm going to embrace my soloness and enjoy it. :D