NCL-DREAM ---need info

Hi!!

Thinking about a 2/05 cruise out of New Orleans on the DREAM... Tell me about your ship experience. This would be our first time with NCL. Thanks...

Pianolady

Golden Princess 2004
Ocean Princess 2002
Enchantment of the Seas 2001

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;2;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I've sailed on the Dream 4 times. I've sailed on her sister the Wind 4 times as well. I'm very familiar with the layout. I like the Dream although she isn't fancy or sparkly or anything that would blow you away. I think the Dream is a nice ship that has a more traditional cruise experience and she goes to great ports. What I mean by traditional is there are only 4 sit down restaurants versus the 10 - 12 on some of the newer ships. There are no rock walls or ice skating rinks. The cabins may be smaller than newer ships. There isn't a grand atrium. I think it's a good ship but it doesn't really compare to the newer ships NCL and other lines have.

Having said all that, I'd still cruise on the Dream. The ship isn't so big that you'll get lost. There are some really cozy bars where you can get to know other passengers versus the big mega bars on other ships. The entertainment is great. And there's usually a poolside bar-b-q with good ribs.

Good luck deciding on your cruise. If anything, you get to cruise from New Orleans and that's always a good thing. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cecilia

I can be contacted at [email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

Sailed on her sister before the stretch (when she was still Windward), and thought it well laid out, particularly for a 7 or so night cruise.

Sailed the Dream after the stretch, and thought they did not do a good job with it. What had been a fairly comfortable ship with an easy deck plan, now became somewhat crowded, with a poor traffic flow, including a main companionway through the main dining room! They added lots of cabins, but little in the way of lounges, etc.

That said, the Dream was one of the few ships that could traverse the Kiel Canal in Germany to access the Baltic, and that was the highlight of our Baltic cruise.

We had hoped to repeat the Baltic next year on the Dream, but have not been told that the Dream will not be in Europe in 2005. Too bad.

Looks like that will cause us to take either Holland America's Prinsendam or Swan Hellenic's Minerva II, as we do want to traverse the Kiel Canal again. On the other hand, if it appears that Dream will return to Europe in 2006, we may just put off that trip until then. If nothing else, NCL has reasonable pricing.

Michael

We've sailed on the Dream twice and the first time it was enjoyable and the 2nd time they had made improvements after listening to comment cards. Before the Sports Bar (for breakfast buffet) was crowded but now you can go to the main restaurant and can choose from the menu or you can help yourself to the buffet. Much better arrangement. The food is much improved over last year but they were confiscating all alcohol at the dockside and returning it to you on the last night. Mean. Apart from that we enjoyed the cruise and you will too.

I did the 7 day Western on the Dream out of New Orleans a few months ago. Loved it. The ship is not a megaship with all the bells and whistles, however the cabins are decent sized (156sq ft), enough places to eat so you shouldn't have to wait longer than 5 min to get a dining room table. Service was good, ports are all excellent, enough deck space where you can get a chair (if you don't mind removing towels or sunglasses that are unnattended)food is pretty good and there is enough to do you you will keep busy.

NCL Sea 3/03
RCCL Sovereign 10/03
NCL Dream 3/7/2004

Archived