What's on TV on Island Princess?

CMcG

I'm not getting any response on the Princess forum with this so I'm changing the title & trying here - let me know if there is a better place to get this information. :)

We'll be on the Island Princess to Alaska in late May and we are trying to determine how much Internet time to pre-purchase and are wondering what sort of news and weather we will be able to get while cruising. If we can get that sort of info from the TV it will mean smaller Internet package.

Don't need to know everything that is happening in the world but want to know the big news.

And since we hope to hike in most ports good weather information is essential.

Appreciate any & all info.

Cheryl

Don't do it for the weather forecast. Up here, about the only thing that the weathermen get right is sunrise and sunset. With moist ocean air contacting rapidly rising mountains, the weather can change quickly, and is almost impossible to forecast. Dress in layers, take your sunglasses and raincoat no matter that the weather looks like in the port.

You asked 6 hours ago. Your cruise is months away. No rush. The Princess board is the appropriate place.

Thanks - I thought it was the right place but no response in over 18 hours & 80 views had me wondering.

Don't do it for the weather forecast. Up here, about the only thing that the weathermen get right is sunrise and sunset. With moist ocean air contacting rapidly rising mountains, the weather can change quickly, and is almost impossible to forecast. Dress in layers, take your sunglasses and raincoat no matter that the weather looks like in the port.

Great - then I just have to worry about getting news on the TV as opposed to using Internet time.

Thanks for the heads-up on forecast accuracy. It sounds about like Florida where "if you don't like the weather, wait a half hour" is our slogan.

Oddly enough I found this on the Princess website under onboard experiences in the FAQs:

Getting away from it all doesn't mean being out of touch. Every stateroom on Princess ships has its own TV set featuring our multi-channel Princess Overseas Television programming.*

We offer live satellite reception of CNN, ESPN International, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network and Boomerang where satellite coverage permits. Along with a movie channel featuring a wide selection of first-run movies, we also provide the latest sitcoms and dramas, an onboard version of the Discovery Channel, and a wide selection of special programming, including the Academy Awards®. Plus, for sports fans, we offer several major sporting events such as the Super Bowl® , BCS college bowl games, NBA Finals and the NCAA basketball tournament. Closed captioning is available on most Princess ships; please check with the Passenger Services Desk for information.

All televisions in the cabins are equipped with the open captioning feature. All movies are open captioned. However, callers should be advised that this feature does not work with most programs shown from an international (versus U.S.) satellite (ie: CNN, etc.). When the television receives a U.S. feed, the open captioning feature will work. Most onboard theaters are equipped with assistive listening devices.

* Ship television programming is not guaranteed at all times due to the nature of satellite communications, which are subject to itinerary and possible disruption from weather patterns and various obstructions. Also, Internet access via satellite is significantly slower than high-speed connections on shore.

Does this help?

Oddly enough I found this on the Princess website under onboard experiences in the FAQs:

Getting away from it all doesn't mean being out of touch. Every stateroom on Princess ships has its own TV set featuring our multi-channel Princess Overseas Television programming.*

We offer live satellite reception of CNN, ESPN International, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network and Boomerang where satellite coverage permits. Along with a movie channel featuring a wide selection of first-run movies, we also provide the latest sitcoms and dramas, an onboard version of the Discovery Channel, and a wide selection of special programming, including the Academy Awards®. Plus, for sports fans, we offer several major sporting events such as the Super Bowl® , BCS college bowl games, NBA Finals and the NCAA basketball tournament. Closed captioning is available on most Princess ships; please check with the Passenger Services Desk for information.

All televisions in the cabins are equipped with the open captioning feature. All movies are open captioned. However, callers should be advised that this feature does not work with most programs shown from an international (versus U.S.) satellite (ie: CNN, etc.). When the television receives a U.S. feed, the open captioning feature will work. Most onboard theaters are equipped with assistive listening devices.

* Ship television programming is not guaranteed at all times due to the nature of satellite communications, which are subject to itinerary and possible disruption from weather patterns and various obstructions. Also, Internet access via satellite is significantly slower than high-speed connections on shore.

Does this help?

Thanks - I sometimes can find things on Princess site and other times feel like I look for days & can't figure out where they hide things (usually in plain sight).

That's a big help for figuring if there will be enough news for hubby.

Archived