HAL Vista-class vs Celebrity Millenium-class (pre-Solsticizing)

sailandcruise

I recently cruised on both HAL's Vista Class (Zuiderdam) and Celebrity's Millenium Class (Summit) and found them very similar. I had a great time on both :D , and I would choose either of these two lines for future cruises depending on itinerary and price. :) The ships are similar in size and passenger capacity; they both have great service; the food and entertainment quality and variety are comparable; they both offer the option of fixed or walk-in dining. But there are some distinct differences that matter to me that I note below. (I'm sure there are other differences that don't matter much to me, and I am not listing -- please don't take this as a complete list, just as a set of personal preferences. ;) ) I wish that there was a line that combined what I like about both these lines and classes of ships.

Things I like better about HAL: (1) main dining room breakfast menu -- wide variety with several international options. (2) ability to bring aboard unlimited amounts of wine. (3) daily teas in the main dining room, especially the Indonesian and Dutch teas. (4) NY Times summaries available daily and free access to the NY Times web site. (5) complimentary bathrobes. (6) selection of books in the library -- I can always find one I want to read -- and location of the library with large windows. (7) Promenade deck with comfortable teak lounge chairs that circles the ship. (8) Recycling section of cabin wastebaskets for paper. (9) Shampoo/conditioner/gel dispensers in bathtubs/showers (instead of those little plastic bottles that are wasteful and environmentally unfriendly). (10) complimentary espresso drinks in the main dining room.

Things I like better about Celebrity: (1) Only one daily announcement. (HAL did this three times a day and emphasized "revenue generating" activities such as bingo and sales in the shops -- annoying. :( ) (2) Tuesday sales allowing for last minute bookings at significantly reduced fares, often with moderate single supplements. (3) Free thalassotherapy pool in the solarium. (4) Aqua Spa cafe. (5) No-smoking policy. (6) large complimentary sauna in men's locker room. (7) no more Park West "art" auctions.

I also would book other classes of ships on either of these lines, recognizing that on HAL the other classes are (mostly) smaller ships (R&S class, which I actually prefer to the Vista-class ships) and on Celebrity the other ships are mostly larger (Solstice class, on which I have not yet sailed).

I also posted this same comparison here on the HAL boards: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32075876#post32075876

Having also been on both ship classes, I generally agree with your comments. I also think that X is a little more modern and younger crowd. Having said that, I would not hesitate sailing on eaither , but would base our decision on itinerary and price.

We also have enjoyed both lines...most recently on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam and Solstice. Booked on Eclipse in March. There are two things I really like on HAL that I wish X had...a wrap-around promenade and an aft pool. But I like the more open feel of X as HAL seems closed in and dark to me.

Archived