Speciality Restaurant Reception/Dinner

wellsme1

Hello All,

I'll cut to the chase here, 11/11 wedding on the Allure approx. 16 onboard guests. We are not crazy about the reception choices offered by RCL. We thought about hosting our guests at a specialty restaurant later that evening. We think thise would be more relaxing and the lights are not limited to the hour reception.

Has anyone done this or give me your thoughts either way.

Thanks

Brian

Hello All,

I'll cut to the chase here, 11/11 wedding on the Allure approx. 16 onboard guests. We are not crazy about the reception choices offered by RCL. We thought about hosting our guests at a specialty restaurant later that evening. We think thise would be more relaxing and the lights are not limited to the hour reception.

Has anyone done this or give me your thoughts either way.

Thanks

Brian

Hey Brian! I would have to agree with you on the reception choices...they S#%K! We went 'round and 'round with this decision and decided on a 2 o'clock wedding with an hour of hot hors douvres and open bar and then an early dinner in MDR. We were gonna host the reception dinner @ Portifinos. I think it would be nice if you can get in. We have 33 onboard guests and it was a little tricky.

We sail in 25 days and are getting married onboard while in St. Thomas. Hopefully all works out:cool:.

Good luck and congratulations!

We had 20 of us all together and did Portofino's. Everyone said it was the best meal they've ever had.

We waited until we boarded for make the reservations, it was my first stop to get the time and everything we wanted. It's a great idea!

We had 20 of us all together and did Portofino's. Everyone said it was the best meal they've ever had.

We waited until we boarded for make the reservations, it was my first stop to get the time and everything we wanted. It's a great idea!

We are doing the buffet reception with open bar (which I've heard isn't really open, you have to place an order with wait staff). Anyway, since we aren't having a rehearsal dinner my fiance's parents are doing dinner for all sailing guests at Portofino on the second night of the cruise (formal night). We already have reservations for our group of 17 sailing guests. Portofino is sooo good. I cannot wait!

Great idea - we're hoping to do the same. So many stories about people getting chucked out of the reception before its finished etc... plus who only wants to celebrate for 1 hour??!!

We're marrying onboard in St Thomas next year and hoping to book Chops Grille.

Hello all again,

Sorry for the typo's above (I was in a hurry). Thank you all for the input. The more we think of it the more we like the idea. We dined at Portifino's on our first cruise and loved it.

It says on RCI's Portifino web page to "plan on two hours of dining". To us, this would plenty of time to do what's necessary.

I wonder if we could purchase the wedding cake from RCI and have it served after dinner? Also, could the photographer be hired for an hour during dinner? We'll see.

Good luck to you folks that are getting married soon.

My daughter was married in November on the Carnival Freedom, we did the two hour reception with a DJ, but it was not long enough but great. However, we did a dinner at nite for the sailing guest and it was so worth it. Everyone was still in the partying mood, it made the wedding seem longer and it was a great kick-off for the cruise. The food was great!! I know my daughter and son-in-law appreciated it, it was a very realxed time and we all got to get to know new family and friends.

it was a very relaxed time and we all got to get to know new family and friends.

This is the main reason we are thinking of a "specialty restaurant" dinner. I contacted the ship's photography vendor (Image Group) and I was told that there would be no problem in hiring a photographer for the dinner. I just have to find about the cake. I don't see a problem ordering a wedding cake from RCI and having it served at the dinner.

This is the main reason we are thinking of a "specialty restaurant" dinner. I contacted the ship's photography vendor (Image Group) and I was told that there would be no problem in hiring a photographer for the dinner. I just have to find about the cake. I don't see a problem ordering a wedding cake from RCI and having it served at the dinner.

Let me know how you get on with the wedding cake. We've ordered one but if possible we'd rather it was served after our meal at Chops.

Archived