Money in Vancouver

CMcG

We will be staying at the Westin Bayshore for 1 night prior to our Island Princess cruise to Alaska - arranged through Princess so I've got all my transfers under control (I wanted easy & the trip is a gift and I'm still within the budget given to me - YAY).

But I'm wondering about cash - having only done limited travel in US I have no clue about dealing with foreign currency. We will probably want to pick up wine and a few other items to take aboard the ship - like toiletries that are heavy (need to use that luggage space & weight for many clothing layers). And we will have the afternoon & evening for sightseeing & dinner.

Is it better to just use credit card for everything or is there a bank nearby to convert some cash? Is it proper to tip in Canadian restaurant the same as in a US restaurant? Any other money issues I haven't even thought of?

I'll be searching back through this thread for ideas of places to see in our limited time but my initial quick search didn't find much on the money issue.

Appreciate any & all ideas!

Cheryl

Hi,

For most purchases such as wine, toiletries, dinner etc you will be able to use a credit card just as you would at home. For small purchases you might want to have some Canadian cash. You can exchange money at the airport, probably at the hotel front desk or use an ATM which you will find all over the place.

Tipping in Canada is similar to the US. Many larger stores and merchants will accept US cash but some smaller shops may not.

Enjoy your trip.

We will be staying at the Westin Bayshore for 1 night prior to our Island Princess cruise to Alaska - arranged through Princess so I've got all my transfers under control (I wanted easy & the trip is a gift and I'm still within the budget given to me - YAY).

But I'm wondering about cash - having only done limited travel in US I have no clue about dealing with foreign currency. We will probably want to pick up wine and a few other items to take aboard the ship - like toiletries that are heavy (need to use that luggage space & weight for many clothing layers). And we will have the afternoon & evening for sightseeing & dinner.

Is it better to just use credit card for everything or is there a bank nearby to convert some cash? Is it proper to tip in Canadian restaurant the same as in a US restaurant? Any other money issues I haven't even thought of?

I'll be searching back through this thread for ideas of places to see in our limited time but my initial quick search didn't find much on the money issue.

Appreciate any & all ideas!

Cheryl

There are plenty of banks, and most tourist businesses (restaurants etc) will also accept US Currency. My recommendation is just use an ATM when you arrive and pick up 20-60$ depending on what you intend to buy. Credit cards (except Discover which is a US only thing) are widely accepted

You may want to let your credit card company know that you'll be out of the country. We've never had a problem in Canada when we've forgotten, but DH once had his card frozen after making a purchase in Aruba. It had to be the one with a lot of automatic payments, and, since we were on a Panama Canal cruise and not checking our home voice mail (the bank didn't send an email), we didn't know about it for two weeks (we didn't do any further shopping), at which point some automatic payments had bounced. It wasn't pretty.:eek:

As for what to do, the Bayshore is right next to Stanley Park, which is a gorgeous place. We like to walk through the park, have visited the aquarium. There's a bus route so that when you've had enough of going on foot you can take the bus (I'm pretty sure they won't accept USD).

Gastown is another fun place to visit, on the other side of the port from the Bayshore. Also walkable, if you like to walk.

Vancouver has lots of fabulous restaurants - give the hotel concierge an idea of what you like and s/he will recommend something terrific. Enjoy your trip - Vancouver is a wonderful city.

You may want to let your credit card company know that you'll be out of the country. We've never had a problem in Canada when we've forgotten, but DH once had his card frozen after making a purchase in Aruba. It had to be the one with a lot of automatic payments, and, since we were on a Panama Canal cruise and not checking our home voice mail (the bank didn't send an email), we didn't know about it for two weeks (we didn't do any further shopping), at which point some automatic payments had bounced. It wasn't pretty.:eek:

As for what to do, the Bayshore is right next to Stanley Park, which is a gorgeous place. We like to walk through the park, have visited the aquarium. There's a bus route so that when you've had enough of going on foot you can take the bus (I'm pretty sure they won't accept USD).

Gastown is another fun place to visit, on the other side of the port from the Bayshore. Also walkable, if you like to walk.

Vancouver has lots of fabulous restaurants - give the hotel concierge an idea of what you like and s/he will recommend something terrific. Enjoy your trip - Vancouver is a wonderful city.

Thanks - lots more info than I asked for - I love Cruise Critic!:D

We do a lot of walking - plan on hiking in as many of our ports as possible - Stanley Park was already on my short list and I'm hoping we have enough time. What exactly is Gastown? Wish we had time to do Grouse Mountain but we get in about 1:30pm and board the next day - not sure it will happen since it will be a long day for us with the time change.

Appreciate all the money hints also.

Cheryl

Hi,

For most purchases such as wine, toiletries, dinner etc you will be able to use a credit card just as you would at home. For small purchases you might want to have some Canadian cash. You can exchange money at the airport, probably at the hotel front desk or use an ATM which you will find all over the place.

Tipping in Canada is similar to the US. Many larger stores and merchants will accept US cash but some smaller shops may not.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks - the tipping had me as worried as the rest of it - hate to tip too much or too little!

There are plenty of banks, and most tourist businesses (restaurants etc) will also accept US Currency. My recommendation is just use an ATM when you arrive and pick up 20-60$ depending on what you intend to buy. Credit cards (except Discover which is a US only thing) are widely accepted

Great - probably will get enough cash for tipping & local transit but use the credit card for dinner & purchases - after calling the credit card company to let them know where we will be!

Appreciate the help.

Remember that a lot of credit card companies charge a fee for foreign currency transactions. Check on your credit cards and see if any do not (none of Capital One cards do).

For withdrawing money VanCity ATMs do not charge a transaction fee for using them. Remember, your own bank may. I think exchanging money is usually a rip off and usually just use ATMs. Living near Canada, I never change any leftover looneys back, since I know I'll use them another time.

If you bank with Bank of America, BofA has an arrangement where they treat ScotiaBank ATMs like their own, with no exchange charge, no "foreign ATM" charge. Unfortunately, ScotiaBank is less ubiquitous than some other banks, like Royal Bank or even VanCity and can sometimes be challenging to find. There is a ScotiaBank at Grenville and Georgia, which is a major intersection, and pretty much right at the Grenville Skytrain station.

Remember that a lot of credit card companies charge a fee for foreign currency transactions. Check on your credit cards and see if any do not (none of Capital One cards do).

For withdrawing money VanCity ATMs do not charge a transaction fee for using them. Remember, your own bank may. I think exchanging money is usually a rip off and usually just use ATMs. Living near Canada, I never change any leftover looneys back, since I know I'll use them another time.

If you bank with Bank of America, BofA has an arrangement where they treat ScotiaBank ATMs like their own, with no exchange charge, no "foreign ATM" charge. Unfortunately, ScotiaBank is less ubiquitous than some other banks, like Royal Bank or even VanCity and can sometimes be challenging to find. There is a ScotiaBank at Grenville and Georgia, which is a major intersection, and pretty much right at the Grenville Skytrain station.

Thanks - I'm hoping for the few things we need that the fees won't be too bad. Anymore I'm not sure who issued or services my credit card - banks seem to merge so often. But I figure the fees on a few bottles of wine, some toiletries & a meal or two won't break the bank. When I call to inform the credit card company of the trip I'll ask about the fees also.

Appreciate the ATM location - I think we'll be all over that area for supplies & dinner so I'll look for it - thanks again!

Great that you are asking about Canadian money. I'm always appalled at posts where people expect to throw their US dollars around and seem indignant that they won't be eagerly accepted, if at all. "Ugly Americans" at their worst.

A few suggestions- as mentioned, credit card acceptance in Vancouver is almost as ubiquitous as the US. Check international transaction fees on the card(s) you have and compare to Capital One, which has no fees. You mentioned using transit- a 24 hour pass is about $9, and is good on buses, Skytrain (light rail system), and Seabus (ferry). We found the transit drivers to be very helpful to tourists.

Since you want to hike, also consider biking around the seawall trail at Stanley Park. There are bike rental places near the main entrance to the park and it took my son and me about an hour to make the loop including photo-ops. Capilano Park is across the harbor; we enjoyed it more than Grouse. In July it doesn't get dark until 9pm and you can pack a lot into your day.

If you're going to Juneau, walk to the Convention Center and pick up a walking tour map. There's a steep hill / cliff on the walk. Either take the stairs to the left of the State Office Bldg. or go into the parking garage and use the elevator.

In Skagway visit the historic cemetery and the waterfall nearby. Consider renting bicycles there too.

Enjoy the cruise!

Great that you are asking about Canadian money. I'm always appalled at posts where people expect to throw their US dollars around and seem indignant that they won't be eagerly accepted, if at all. "Ugly Americans" at their worst.

A few suggestions- as mentioned, credit card acceptance in Vancouver is almost as ubiquitous as the US. Check international transaction fees on the card(s) you have and compare to Capital One, which has no fees. You mentioned using transit- a 24 hour pass is about $9, and is good on buses, Skytrain (light rail system), and Seabus (ferry). We found the transit drivers to be very helpful to tourists.

Since you want to hike, also consider biking around the seawall trail at Stanley Park. There are bike rental places near the main entrance to the park and it took my son and me about an hour to make the loop including photo-ops. Capilano Park is across the harbor; we enjoyed it more than Grouse. In July it doesn't get dark until 9pm and you can pack a lot into your day.

If you're going to Juneau, walk to the Convention Center and pick up a walking tour map. There's a steep hill / cliff on the walk. Either take the stairs to the left of the State Office Bldg. or go into the parking garage and use the elevator.

In Skagway visit the historic cemetery and the waterfall nearby. Consider renting bicycles there too.

Enjoy the cruise!

Thanks for the ideas - although my husband probably won't put me on a bicycle as I have absolutely no sense of balance and horrible reaction times! Might be safe if they are bicycles with fat tires and there is no one around - but maybe not!!!

I'm checking all the websites for our ports looking for hiking maps & information and finding many old posts here. We may have to wait to see the conditions when we get there before deciding which trails to take - I imagine we may have some spots in late May that may not be in great shape.

I just made my last necessary reservations (for 3 nights at McKinley Creekside Cabins and for Eielson shuttle at Denali) so all the big pieces are under control. Now I feel like the work is done and can plan the exciting & fun parts.

Cheryl

Archived