Karaoke on the SUN

hammsz

The venues you attend back home will have a far better selection than most ships on the sea... But nothing says you can't bring a collection of your own favorites with you...

That being said, it's been a while for us on the Sun, but I recall that the karaoke was fun on that ship. It's 90 percent due to the level of participation amongst passengers and 10 percent due to a good host.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.477546,-72.554690

it's probably on computer here as well -- I can't imagine anyone still using CDs for Karaoke.....

that being said, even if there aren't the most up-to-date selections, you can still have a great time singing classics and getting the crowd involved :-)

I don't know what rules or governing body a Ship DJ has to abide by, but here on land (btw, I dj on the side and was in radio for 25 years) many of the DJs insist they have to have the original copies of the CDs with them to be legal.. that does not mean that the system they use has to be CD ready.. I may suggest bringing the songs you want on a thumb drive, that way they can plug it directly into their computer for playback access.. keep in mind some DJs may be apprehensive about putting anything that's not theirs into their system, imagine if it were infected and crashed their system.. they'd basically be out of work and probably off the ship.

Now here is the part that will require you do do some manual work that may or may not be tricky for the non-computer savvy. Each song must be in a zipped format.. that is every Karaoke song is actually two files, a MP3 (for the music) and a CDG file which contains the words.. most PC based karaoke systems require that the two files be put together in one file (also know as a zip file... you will need to correctly name both files Example: Brown Eyed Girl.mp3 and Brown Eved Girl.cgd.. So if you have correctly named both files, you can highlight them and then choose SEND TO ZIP under options.. untimately you can fill a thumb drive with all these zip files and they should then be accessible to the ship dj.. if this doesn't make sense, and I've confused the heck out of you, sorry.. I'm passionate about my music and like to help.

In all my recent cruises, I have seem the gamut in technologies as far as karaoke on NCL ships go, but NONE of them were PCs or computer based. The Jewel based ships and Star class ships have a builtin Video system, which does not afford for the playing of thumb drives, nor CD's. The Sun as I recall still used a CD+G player with discs. The Spirit used a strange format with the songs encoded on a chip (not the greatest quality) in 2011, but in years past it had used CDs. Doesn't take up much room to take whatever format you need whether discs, or thumb drives or both. You just may not be able to use either.

I realize that CD is the wrong term to use, as I said before.. there are two files.. The CD (MP3 format) and the "G" as you term it, which stands for "GRAPHIC" or the words. Maybe you can contact Norwegian and ask what format the DJ who does karaoke on board would be accepting of...that may be the best place to start.

• 3 months later...

Just sailed to Western Caribbean and could not use my personal Karoke CDs because they use a computer. Had a lot of music to choose from (some of it pretty dated but popular) but not like being able to choose from your own library of music. The room for karaoke only had couple hours a night devoted to karaoke & lots of really bad singers, of course, who took up a lot of the time. There were a few good singers that week, however, and the bad ones apparently had a lot of fun 'cause they kept coming back! The hostess, Maria, was a lot of fun.

Archived