The Azamara Value Proposition

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]The term Value Proposition is used by most marketers to express the idea that their product or service is worth the money spent on it. Here’s my way of looking at this: Azamara guests such as you are usually affluent, highly-sophisticated and demanding. You want the best and you don’t mind paying for it. You call this “a fair amount.” You gauge the idea of “fair amount” on what you perceive to be good value. And that’s how you look at Azamara - a good value for the money. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]When we price our Azamara product it’s with many things in mind. We need to keep pace with costs so that we can maintain the excellence of the shipboard experience that so many of you comment on. We also need to compensate our unparalleled crew that really makes it all happen. And of course, we need to provide our shareholders and investors with a fair return. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Azamara Club Cruises will always be a good value. We are dedicated to that idea. As you know, we frequently offer extra savings programs and we have our loyalty program for past guests - Le Club Voyage - that features benefits and rewards and a reciprocity program with Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises. We also include a number of onboard amenities in the cruise fare such as boutique (house) red and white wines with lunch and dinner, specialty coffees, teas, bottled water and sodas, shuttle service to and from port communities in many ports, and complimentary self-service laundry. And we think we have the best and most caring crew onboard our ships – all of whom will go out of their way to make your experience an amazing one.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Additionally we offer up to 50 percent savings on all voyages in 2012 and 2013, gratuities are included in the voyage fare and we offer terrific savings on our Land Discoveries, if booked online prior to the voyage. We have frequent promotions featuring onboard credits and ChoiceAir credits. Additionally, our Extended Voyages program offers considerable savings and flexibility for you to customize itineraries, and guests who travel by themselves will pay only 125 percent of our double occupancy fares on many voyages. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Add up all of this and the conclusion is - Azamara is a good value. That’s our Value Proposition. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Having given you my philosophy on value here let me add a few asides: [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]To bahrain_not_dubai! - First you don’t have to call me Sir as you did in your question. Larry will do just fine. I’m glad you are looking forward to your first Azamara cruise in December. You noted what you called a “price hike” this year. Yes, that’s the way we maintain the excellence of the cruise product that you are going to love in December. When you disembark, send me a message and let me know if you agree with me. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]To Cruiser1104 and rumtoddy - Why are we not all inclusive? Why extra charges for our Specialty Restaurants? Good questions. Please allow me to refer you back to my above comments on the Azamara Value Proposition that drove these two business decisions. Azamara Club Cruises is a good value for the money.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Larry[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Larry, What you call Value Proposition I call value for price paid for. I believe that was my take away from our cruise with Azamaza. We come from mass market lines and decided to try something different and also wanted to trade up and Azamara seem to fit our style.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]There is no perfect fit but Azamara comes close with all the extras that are included. Did the cruise cost us more then a mass market line yes it did but what we received from Azamara was value, great service and a more intimate cruise experience. I.e. the coffee bar which was our favorite place, the lecturers what a treat that was, wine with lunch and dinner much better MDR it was very good and I never recall saying that about any other cruise line we have taken. Having a soft drink or bottle water without going into your pocket for a cruise card was nice. It was the small touches that contribute to the value and the experience of the cruise and there were many other items that you listed that I agree with.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]What we missed was the production shows and was a little disappointed with the specialty restaurants..Did it change our opinion overall no we still consider Azamara an rewarding experience and we intend to do it again in 2013. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The question is did I receive value for what I paid for? and with Azamara it is a large yes I did[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Larry,
I agree with almost all you say about the value Azamara offers. Whilst, like the food, entertainment on board is a subjective thing, and Azamara is no better ( and not worse than the likes of Seabourn and Oceania) in its show lounge entertainment, what sets Azamara apart for us is the consistent nightly quality of Jim Badger, the Mosaic cafe resident pianist/singer/satirist on the Quest, which makes it unnecessary for us to rely on the sometimes marginal nightly shows in the lounge. Jim would probably say he's neither a singer nor a pianist, and in a purist sense that's true, but the rip roaring package he delivers nightly beats anything we've seen on the high seas.
You deliver a very good product, and the friendliness and care of your crew and staff toward passengers are outstanding, but sometimes there are some absolute show stoppers which draw passengers back again and again-- one of those is Jim Badger.

Best Regards

[quote name='Larry Pimentel'][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]The term Value Proposition is used by most marketers to express the idea that their product or service is worth the money spent on it. Here’s my way of looking at this: Azamara guests such as you are usually affluent, highly-sophisticated and demanding. You want the best and you don’t mind paying for it. You call this “a fair amount.” You gauge the idea of “fair amount” on what you perceive to be good value. And that’s how you look at Azamara - a good value for the money. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]When we price our Azamara product it’s with many things in mind. We need to keep pace with costs so that we can maintain the excellence of the shipboard experience that so many of you comment on. We also need to compensate our unparalleled crew that really makes it all happen. And of course, we need to provide our shareholders and investors with a fair return. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Azamara Club Cruises will always be a good value. We are dedicated to that idea. As you know, we frequently offer extra savings programs and we have our loyalty program for past guests - Le Club Voyage - that features benefits and rewards and a reciprocity program with Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises. We also include a number of onboard amenities in the cruise fare such as boutique (house) red and white wines with lunch and dinner, specialty coffees, teas, bottled water and sodas, shuttle service to and from port communities in many ports, and complimentary self-service laundry. And we think we have the best and most caring crew onboard our ships – all of whom will go out of their way to make your experience an amazing one.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Additionally we offer up to 50 percent savings on all voyages in 2012 and 2013, gratuities are included in the voyage fare and we offer terrific savings on our Land Discoveries, if booked online prior to the voyage. We have frequent promotions featuring onboard credits and ChoiceAir credits. Additionally, our Extended Voyages program offers considerable savings and flexibility for you to customize itineraries, and guests who travel by themselves will pay only 125 percent of our double occupancy fares on many voyages. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Add up all of this and the conclusion is - Azamara is a good value. That’s our Value Proposition. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Having given you my philosophy on value here let me add a few asides: [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]To bahrain_not_dubai! - First you don’t have to call me Sir as you did in your question. Larry will do just fine. I’m glad you are looking forward to your first Azamara cruise in December. You noted what you called a “price hike” this year. Yes, that’s the way we maintain the excellence of the cruise product that you are going to love in December. When you disembark, send me a message and let me know if you agree with me. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]To Cruiser1104 and rumtoddy - Why are we not all inclusive? Why extra charges for our Specialty Restaurants? Good questions. Please allow me to refer you back to my above comments on the Azamara Value Proposition that drove these two business decisions. Azamara Club Cruises is a good value for the money.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=black]Larry[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

Hi Larry,

Thanks for spending the week with us here. Like cosmi45, I like to see value in my purchases. I am obstinate about it. I shop around, do a lot of research, and spend my money where I believe I will get value. Because of my style of researching extensively to extract the best value, I am right most of the time. I did that last year when choosing a cruise, and chose Azamara. It was the most expensive cruise I ever took, but it was also the best value for the money ever. I would return to Azamara without hesitation.

Part of the value you deliver is the freedom to get away from the routine of the other 51 weeks. We all need that. And because I shop around and look for value in all my purchases, I need freedom from that obstinance for a week a year. The cruise lines that make me swipe my card for everything do not give me that. Azamara does, and that alone is tremendous value. All those little things like gratuities included, drinks, wine at meals, water bottle on exit, shuttles to port, cold towels, warm and genuine advice from the staff, etc., all make part of the value. The ability to just let go knowing you're not going to get screwed over is just great. Thanks, Azamara.

I'll give you another example of value. I was on the Quest, which stopped in Kotor. At that port I had planned to climb to the abandoned fortress above the city, as an independent activity. I had researched topographic charts of the area, had found interesting trails, and was set on doing it. Approaching Kotor, the captain (Carl Smith, great captain) invited every guest to join him and the officers on a climb to the fortress. Wow, the captain was doing what I had planned, and invited everyone along. 134 guests took him up on it. He and his officers carried water and fruit for the guests up the 1300 steps. Captain Smith even paid the 3 euro admission fee for everyone. Now that is value. It's not about the 3 euros, it's about the freedom to not think about ever pulling out your wallet or ship card. At the top of the fortress I showed him my plan for further hiking (he and the rest of the group were hiking back down). He had hiked those mountains before, provided me advice on trails and their condition and on what to see and what precautions to take. Always genuinely interested in adding to my enjoyment, while not bringing a single dollar to Azamara. He may not have brought a dollar directly, but he earned Azamara a loyal customer. As I said, I would sail with Azamara again without hesitation, and captain Smith's attitude is a big part of it.

So when am I sailing with Azamara again? Well, I don't know. This year I am going with Oceania. Some loyalty, huh? To be honest, I looked at Azamara first, but unfortunately the itineraries that matched my calendar weren't great for me (lots of repeats). I shopped around a lot (always do), and found two cruises that seemed to provide good value: Ponant and Oceania. Both more expensive than your typical Azamara. I ended up booking Oceania. Let's see how they compare to Azamara. You have already set the bar quite high when it comes to the value proposition.

Thanks for running a great value cruise line. Keep up the good work.

Best regards.

PS: Want to add to the value? Include a free internet allowance (say, 15 or 30 minutes per day) to allow us to stay in touch and tell our friends ashore how great a time we are having on Azamara. Just imagine the marketing value of those live facebook updates.

• 8 months later...
Hi Larry,

I have sailed on Azamara two times (2/27/11) & (3/8/10). Both were to the West Indies. I have priced the same cruise for 3/2/13 and the price hike I believe is way too high to be a good value for me. The cruise went up $1,900 PP. in two years. I drive to the port, so air is not need. I don’t drink wine or spirits. Yes your ship is nice, yes prices go up, After 75+ cruises over the years I have enjoyed all but one, so I know I can find another cruise vacation to suit me. . Therefore, I can not see us on Azamara with such a price increase for the cruise we want. Azamara for us is not a good value for our money.

Wishing your cruise line and you the best,
Maria

this post was very interesting to me since it was right after our first cruise that I wrote on this very thread I was so impressed with the value on Azamara now fast forward a year I am very happy with 2013 except for the 50% shore ex being discontinued which I still feel was not handled well by Azamara but over all I am still happy to be cruising on Azamara.

When I look at 2014 the picture does change the rates have gone up passed the point that I can no longer consider Azamara a value to cruise on..This has nothing to do with the quality of the ships or the experience I had and will hope to have in 2013 it has to do with Value for price paid for and for 2014 what your now asking for rates has crossed that line where I no longer see the value in cruising on Azamara.

I would of understood a price increase but not to the point you took it I find very little value offering in offering drinks and a night tour and I feel it does not constitute such a price increase sorry I do not see the value in that.

Archived