Yes, We've sailed Costa TA but...

FSUFan1k

We're Platimun and have only sailed with Costa once Because:

1-From Door of embarcation building to set foot aboard took most of 2 hours--all of this standing as seats were few and far between...woe to those with mobility problems. Had three check stations for passports and tickets. So deep into that building by the 3rd time how could we morph into someone else?.

2-Once aboard we found our cabin and noted nearest exits--don't you do that on planes and at hotels in case of emergencies, too???

3-Then came then next round of chaos. We sailed from Genoa and muster drill was a chaotic mess not by the passengers all STANDING with life jackets on but told not to touch anything on them. It was the people who gave the drill instructions who were unorganized! For each language [5] they would try to get all passengers for that language up front, deliver message, send group to the back and then repeat process. AGAIN Mobility problems for those who could walk but had difficulty STANDING in plqace so longthrough ALL FIVE LANGUAGE PRESENTATIONS.. CARNIVAL,THERE HAS TO BE A MORE EFFICIENT WAY TO DO THIS SO PEOPLE ARE REALLY INFORMED PASSENGERS!

4-The cabin crew and dining room crew were pleasant, helpful and really SMILED. They were the best part of the 19 day crossing.. HOWEVER, as a 2nd generation Italian born in America I was expecting wonderful new Italian dishes. Unfortunately, what was to be served HOT or COLD was usually just warm. The Chef did try to make Thanksgiving Day special for us. Believe me you;ll never forget the experience pumpkin pie ala Italian mode!!

5- In contrast, the purser's personnel and most of the official staff were unsmiling and self-importnt in affect. [the Purser's desk people were rude...how dare you interrupt my conversation with my colleqgues...

6-Every audio message all day and night waws in the 5 languages and you couldn't lower the volume in your cabin.

7- We were at a table for 8. 6 of us spoke English, the 7th was a solo Elderly French lady who spoke litttle Englishwith French and German as her other languages.. I am bilingual in English, Spanish but hadn't had cause to use French in 20 years. We managed in our broken French and English. She told me that she cruised every year to "Renew" herself. We learned about our families and other countries we had visited but it was not what she needed. We did our best but there waw a nearby table with 3 empty seats and they were French speakers. It took me three nights to convince the Maitre D that she wanted to be moved to that table but we finally succeeded.. I got a big smile and hug from her every time we met later in the trip.

8-Think of this folks before you say 'I'll not cruise again': It's YOUR responsibility to consider all aspects of your trip starting with ship's history AND ITS SIZE. These new behemoths of the sea can't dock= long waits to tender to port and then back to ship. How will so many be safely evacuated in a crisis when the cabin crews don't have the 5 language ability to help all passengers and WHERE will the ship's officers be to direct evacuation flow????. Finally, So how much time do you reallly have to enjoy a new people, country, culture its sights and food when you spend so much time waiting on a tender?

9- Disembarcation in FLL was just as chaotic as getting on. Had we been on a ship's transfer bus we would have mised our flight. because they were so disorganizedand late. Knowing FLL airport is less than 30 minutes away on the bad days [when many ships are in port], we took a cab and were there in 15 minutes.

10- So, no we choose not to go Costa or on the behemoths of the sea again BUT our passports are good and we're studying up for our NEXT cruise by "doing our homework". DO YOUR Homework and continue to learn by travel!

11- Our parayers were for all those whose lives and/or loved ones were forever changed by the Concordia disaster. None of us who travel/cruise will ever forget this horrific evnt in our lifetimes. KT

Archived