Carnival Magic New Year's Cruise Review w/ Pics

mattp420

Wow! Wonderful review. I know you are hooked now. We've cruised out of Galveston twice, and we were delayed both times due to FOG. We cruised around in circles, in the harbor for an additional night, due to fog on our 1st cruise. We're a little skeptical about cruising from there again, but really want to try the Magic.

Matt, dude, your review is sooo awesome! I ***** the entire time. Thanks for giving some of our fellow cruisers some advice on Jamaica. I've defended Jamaica so many times, its refreshing to see someone finally get it. Nothing to be worried about. it is what it is. GREAT REVIEW! You seem like a down to earth person with a great sense of humor. Glad you're hooked on cruising. All it takes is one voyage for most to get bit by the cruise bug

Matt, dude, your review is sooo awesome! I ***** the entire time. Thanks for giving some of our fellow cruisers some advice on Jamaica. I've defended Jamaica so many times, its refreshing to see someone finally get it. Nothing to be worried about. it is what it is. GREAT REVIEW! You seem like a down to earth person with a great sense of humor. Glad you're hooked on cruising. All it takes is one voyage for most to get bit by the cruise bug

Thanks much!!

I'm glad to see some other people like Jamaica too. I can honestly see what bums people out now that I've been to Montego Bay when cruise ships are in port. If you're not prepared it can be intimidating...God help you if you end up in one of the craft markets..LOL!! Forget about it. "Come have a look mon..." It's like you've wandered into some endless loop that you can't escape.

We learned all those things on our first visit and Negril is MUCH less hectic than MoBay so we kind of eased into it. Plus, we're musicians and reggae lovers...love spicy food and herbs. :D Some of the things that turn so many off of Jamaica weren't an issue for us.

My attitude about Jamaica compared to the rest of the islands we've visited on this trip and others is that it's the only one I've been to (excepting Cozumel) that really felt ALIVE. Alive with music and culture and food and bawdiness and everything. Not in a canned, Margaritaville/Hard Rock/Grand Cayman sort of way but in a dirty, real, soulful, sometimes uncomfortable way.

Bar none, my favorite place in the world.

DAY 3 : SEA DAY

Decided to go ahead and get ready for dinner and head down to the Escape Bar for a quick drink. We really liked it in there. For a minute. This is probably my biggest complaint of the cruise…they had a huge screen in the bar showing nature footage. All good until they were showing a baby caribou and then cut to a wolf. Crap…I know what’s coming and I’m not gonna like it. Margie is going to like it less. Sure enough the whole chase and capture played out in dramatic fashion…we bailed out before the feast began. An odd choice for bar video IMHO.

The funniest thing I ever saw in a restaurant was in a diner that had a big screen over the counter showing a nature channel, and "Infested" came on. It was about a restaurant infested by roaches, and kept showing closeups of hundreds of roaches crawling over the kitchen! I had to tell the clueless staff to change the channel, but it took a while to get their attention.

The funniest thing I ever saw in a restaurant was in a diner that had a big screen over the counter showing a nature channel, and "Infested" came on. It was about a restaurant infested by roaches, and kept showing closeups of hundreds of roaches crawling over the kitchen! I had to tell the clueless staff to change the channel, but it took a while to get their attention.

That's funny!!

I'm horrible with nature videos..the biggest wuss you've ever seen when it comes to watching animals get hurt or killed. Made it through 1/2 of 1 disc of the Planet Earth series.

I find it crazy that I eat meat. I've tried hard to become vegetarian but I just cant seem to hack it. After a couple weeks I am craving meat so badly that it totally consumes all thoughts!!

I enjoyed this so much - thanks for taking the time to write and share your experiences and photos.

I'm taking my two kids on the Magic on April 1st and we're in a Cove balcony as well. This just made it more 'real' and exciting!!

Hope you have a great time on your next cruise :D

• 1 month later...

GREAT pics from your Cove -- thanks!! Just booked one on the 10/28 Magic and after looking at your pics??? SOOOO glad we did -- GREAT way to spend my birthday -- packin' a special bottle of bubbly - 2002 Cristal - to open on this one! I'm thinking we'll pick an "at sea" occasion" :D

Thank you, thank you to the recent commentators who brought this review forward...would not have seen it otherwise, and what an awesome review! Love love loved it!!! We cruise the Magic in May and beyond looking forward to it.

Awesome attitude, awesome sense of humor, awesome writing style...would love to cruise with you guys one of these days! We too are in Spring. I kept thinking you guys looked very familiar, but I'm sure it's just the proximity and the names as I'm pretty sure we're a lot older than you guys, lol. We'll definitely look you up the next time we're in OTS!!

Really enjoyed your review, Matt! Love your sense of humor..lol!! We're booked on the Magic in July. Doing the same cruise you did. Went on the same cruise a few years ago, but on RC.

I see you're booked on the Triumph in May. So are we! The May 3rd, 4 day...just a little get away for us girls! I guess your wife has you hooked on cruising after all!! Y'all (we're from Texas too)...enjoy!!

GREAT pics from your Cove -- thanks!! Just booked one on the 10/28 Magic and after looking at your pics??? SOOOO glad we did -- GREAT way to spend my birthday -- packin' a special bottle of bubbly - 2002 Cristal - to open on this one! I'm thinking we'll pick an "at sea" occasion" :D

Nice!! I know you'll love the balcony. If you want some videos, my wife posted a few on her youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/potterpups/featured

Hope you have a great birthday!!!!

Thank you, thank you to the recent commentators who brought this review forward...would not have seen it otherwise, and what an awesome review! Love love loved it!!! We cruise the Magic in May and beyond looking forward to it.

Awesome attitude, awesome sense of humor, awesome writing style...would love to cruise with you guys one of these days! We too are in Spring. I kept thinking you guys looked very familiar, but I'm sure it's just the proximity and the names as I'm pretty sure we're a lot older than you guys, lol. We'll definitely look you up the next time we're in OTS!!

Awww....thanks. That makes me feel all fuzzy inside. I really had a good time writing it! Really looking forward to our next cruise in May - got upgraded to an aft balcony so am excited to see what that's like.

Maybe we've run into each other at Kroger's or something..lol. Definitely stop by next time you're in OTS - I'm there every weekend!

Nice!! I know you'll love the balcony. If you want some videos, my wife posted a few on her youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/potterpups/featured

Hope you have a great birthday!!!!

Thanks!! I'm going to check where our cabin is in relation to where yours was -- it really looks amazing. Some friends are probably going to join us on this trip and I think they may try to convince me to give up the cove and try to get adjoining balconies somewhere else -- I think after looking at your videos? I'm going to have to say no - LOL!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Stumbled upon your review while looking for info on NYE cruising and was hooked from the beginning. Love your laid back attitude about cruising and life in general. Definitely a fun read.:)

Thanks!! I sure wish I was getting ready to cruise out again this New Year's! Will have to wait til June this year. Have a great trip!

Archived