Labadee : Cast Away at Malfini - reviews?

coloradoSunshine

Hi,

I am looking for recent reviews of the Labadee excursion Cast Away at Malfini. Is this a good option to be able to get to a nicer/less crowded beach than the other public beaches? We are looking for a nice beach, but don't want to fight the crowds. If it's more or less the same kind of thing, no need for us to pay for an excursion.

However if the beach is nicer and/or less crowded it would be worth it for us. Just trying to make a decision.

Anything else about Malfini or the excursion that would be helpful to know? I think you may get free floating mats as well.

TIA.

Shauna

Coming up in March will be our 4th stop at Labadee. On our first, 5 or six years ago, we took the Malfini excursion and loved it. First, participation is very limited so the mob scenes that now define Labadee aren't a concern. Second, since they built that big dock, the original snorkel area at Labadee is no more. Malfini had nice (not great) snorkeling. The Malfini Beach is lovely...although when we went it only had portable commodes back in the jungle. Not sure if that's still the case. Suffice it to say, after our last stop at Labadee (where the crowds were so bad I didn't even have room to swing my hammock) my husband and I are already signed up for the Malfini excursion. Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

We were at Malfini in April. It was a great quiet beach - definitely an escape from the crowds.

They do still have a portable commode (blue) located at the top of these stairs.

DSC02053.jpgDSC02052.jpgDSC02051.jpgDSC02050.jpgDSC02048.jpg

Update to our visit this past March. We were two of only 15 folks on our excursion. Unfortunately, snorkel equipment is no longer available on Malfini. (We were told too many "got lost"). Instead they have small glass-bottom boats for rent. Spoke to some folks who did this and they weren't too happy with the clarity of the glass, since it became easily water-spotted. Otherwise, it was unchanged and even better, because of the location we avoided high winds and blowing sands at Labadee

Archived