Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Ken ... Thanks for posting the pictures, i have had a look at those posted by Last Salute from when the rock had been moved and the latest 3 appear to show that the work is forward of where the hole begins.

Good Morning,

I came across a paper that some may find interesting and others may find a bit dry, but here it is.

Costa Concordia: Anatomy of an organisational accident by Capt. Antonio Di Lieto

http://www.enav-international.com/wosmedia/273/costaconcordiaanatomyofanorganisationalaccident.pdf

Regards,

MorganMars

Thanks for the photos Ken. Did they give any idea when they were taken?

It looks like the rusty plates we can see lower down will be covering up holes which it may follow that the main hole caused by the rock may now be sealed up just as Tonka predicted.

Photos were taken earlier this week.

Morgan ... An interesting paper, there were a few points that stood out and one of them is regarding the whereabouts of Schettino`s mentor who it has been claimed by the Media and others that he was on the Mainland that night and not on Giglio and was part of the reason for the sailby.

The part below from the text does not make mention of his whereabouts.

"holding a telephonic conversation with his mentor ashore, who advised on the depths around Giglio Porto16."

Ken, those are very good photos, indeed. The external ribs are a common way of reinforcing a steel hard patch. If internal ribs are used, they must be fitted to the hull which may be very irregular in the area of a hole. Note also that plywood covers have been placed on all visible windows. A whole lot of progress has been made in the last few months.

Doc

Morgan.... a fascinating paper. I've read it and I'll read it several more readings (with a pencil and highlighter). Thank you Morgan. I might make a few more comments here in the next week or two.

Something very apparent - the sail-by was about as unplanned as it could be - the newly planned route wasn't plotted on a suitable chart, the newly planned route was far too bloody close (0.5nm at night in unfamiliar waters without a pilot??! Part of my anatomy would be doing a very good impression of a rabbbit's nose), and as it was the Captain who had decided on the sail-by, he should in my opinion have been on the bridge before the ship had deviated from the original route so that he had situational awareness.

And there was no proper handover when the Captain took the conn.... and it's (mainly) the responsibility of the person taking the conn to make sure they are properly briefed. Where they are, speed & heading, next waypoint, nearest land (if appropriate), any traffic, etc.... without that very basic information, how the hell could the Captain take the conn????

I need a drink.

VP

Morgan.... a fascinating paper. I've read it and I'll read it several more readings (with a pencil and highlighter). Thank you Morgan. I might make a few more comments here in the next week or two.

Something very apparent - the sail-by was about as unplanned as it could be - the newly planned route wasn't plotted on a suitable chart, the newly planned route was far too bloody close (0.5nm at night in unfamiliar waters without a pilot??! Part of my anatomy would be doing a very good impression of a rabbbit's nose), and as it was the Captain who had decided on the sail-by, he should in my opinion have been on the bridge before the ship had deviated from the original route so that he had situational awareness.

And there was no proper handover when the Captain took the conn.... and it's (mainly) the responsibility of the person taking the conn to make sure they are properly briefed. Where they are, speed & heading, next waypoint, nearest land (if appropriate), any traffic, etc.... without that very basic information, how the hell could the Captain take the conn????

I need a drink.

VP

VP

The truth has been there since day one.

Captain Coward ordered the ship into a danger zone to win kudos from fellow Costa employee who were residents of Giglio.

Then he shifted his attention to more pressing issues.

CemortanSCHETTINO.jpg

Edited by Uniall

VP

The truth has been there since day one.

Captain Coward ordered the ship into a danger zone to win kudos from fellow Costa employee who were residents of Giglio.

Then he shifted his attention to more pressing issues.

I agree. The truth is always there.... but the trick is finding it. Captain Antonio Di Lieto, the author of the paper referred to by Morgan, has obviously invested a lot of time and experience in getting closer to the truth.

What Schettino does show is the huge difference between a properly planned and executed sail-by which we can all safely enjoy and his reckless unplanned stupidity which kills people.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the pics Ken, but that is not where the rock was.the tear and the rock was further aft, pass the stabilizer blade.

This is forward and the plates on the side are rusted and have bottom and boot top paint on them.

There is a smaller patch close to the water line but way to small for the rock.

Doc those *ribs* are not for a patch, they are support brackets for the Sponons.

AKK

I would suggest that the "ribs" are more than just support brackets. Notice the reinforced "eyes" at the lower end of them. The holes have doubler plates welded to both sides, and to me this suggests that they are going to be subjected to a lot of stress.

Regards.

VP,

I'm doing the same thing. It requires some study time. I also want to go over the part about the language barriers on the bridge. Sounds like a contributing factor to the lack of communication.

I've done yacht deliveries and can't imagine not plotting the course on the charts and then transferring the waypoints into the electronic navigation devices. Shoddy work all the way around.

Always knew there had to be a lack of situational awareness for this to happen. Just was unsure of the causes.

Have a drink on me.

Regards,

MorganMars

I need a drink.

VP

Edited by MorganMars

The author makes no mention of the Data recorder not working! which has been admitted by Costa as having been a problem prior to the accident, he does say that All the bridge equipment was working normally which has to be questioned because we know that is not a true statement.

Morgan ... you mention the Language barrier, you would expect the helmsman to be able to understand orders in Italian or English and if that was not the case then you have to question why Costa allowed that to happen.

It will be interesting to see how close this guy is to the Investigation report when it comes out.

Edited by sidari

Below are all the pieces used by the author to make his report credible by taking out parts that back his theory of what happened, without the rest of the pages of each persons deposition it is not clear what else those people said with regard to before, during and after the collision. The names are also missing from the parts used hence the brackets.

In number 14 there is reference to a (pilot)! possibly the Helmsman? or was there a pilot onboard that night.

In number 16 the mentor claims that Schettino asked the depth of water and his response was that the seabed was "good"

5 Captain page 59.. [...] Ferrarini is our Fleet Coordinator [...] and then I said: 'Look, I made a mess, I went under the lily here, we have given a shock and I inform you of all telling the truth [...]

6 .. Captain`s Mentor page2: [...] from 2007 to 2011 to close the greetings reduced pace (speed about 5 knots) Giglio, agreed with the Harbour Master and the shipping company were four and always during the summer, one of the Costa Pacifica and three with the Concordia [...] the last transit occurred on August 14, 2011 agreement with the Company with the mayor of Giglio and my brokerage [...]precise that even the flyby was in front of Giglio Porto, in other cases, have previously been included in the travel package made ​​available to passengers in the "tourist navigation".

7 - Safety officer's deposition, page 9: [...] I can say that the first official [...] told me that [...] believing they are too close to the coast ordered the helmsman to turn to starboard in order to move away from the coast the island of Giglio, Comandnate him relieved of responsibility of the guard taking direct the navigation control and ordered the sailor helmsman to stay on course and to increase the speed [...].

8 - Safety Officer's deposition page 9: [...] I saw the route that had been drawn by the cartographer (2nd Officer) on paper nautical and I noticed that our position was about 5 nautical miles to the west. The route followed was in fact completely different from that drawn and it was much closer to the coast, and a ship's route to the south of the island previously, I assume that he had some time off course [...]

9 - Junior Officer Of the Watch (joow) 's deposition, page 2: [...] The turn was predicted by the Captain from before the departure from Civitavecchia and annotated on the chart and recorded on the integrated navigation system, this to allow the so-called tourist sailing to the nearby coast of the island of Giglio [...]

10 - Paper charts are the primary means of navigation for the Costa Concordia, as specified in the section "details of navigation systems and equipment" of the Passenger Ship Safety Certificate.

11 - Safety Officer's deposition page 8: [...] As usual, the trip planning was entrusted to the officer cartographer [...] according to the instructions and directives of the Commander [...].

12 - Junior Officer Of the Watch (joow) 's deposition, page 4: [...] The second officer in the mapping [...] asked if the Commander was fine a distance of 0.5 miles from the island of Giglio. I remember that the Commander has responded positively. Qeusto always in the dialogue which I heard [...]

13 - Junior Officer Of the Watch (joow) deposition page 2: [...] At this stage I was with the helmsman to make sure that performed correctly the orders of the commander [...]

14 - Safety Officer's deposition p.4-5: [...] orders to the helmsman were taught in English usually [...] I think that (the pilot) has a little knowledge of Italian [...] the working language is recorded and shown journal the manual safety management is Italian, but to all deck officers are required to knowledge of the English language [...]

15 - Safety Officer's deposition, page 9: [...] I can say that the first officer (SOOW) told me that believing they are too close to the coast ordered the helmsman to turn to starboard in order to get away from the coast of the island of lily, Comandnate raised (the SOOW) by taking direct responsibility for guarding the navigation control and ordered the sailor helmsman to stay on course and to increase the speed [...]

16 - Captain's mentor, page 2: [...] when the Captain asked me information on the depth of the seabed adjacent to the island of Giglio, near the port, specificandomi he wanted to move to a distance of 0.4 nautical miles (about 800 meters) . I said that in that area the seabed are good [...]

17 - Captain's deposition, page 27: [...] (the transition) was planned initially to 0.5 (nautical miles), then we switched to 0.28 (nautical miles) [...] But I have noticed, and this was my miscalculation [...] that is the rock I saw on my left [...] but the distance at which I was going through was actually being that the earth [...]

18 - Captain's interview released on the 14th of January 2012: [...] even if we sailed along the coast to the tourist shipping, I strongly believe [...] that the rock was not marked [...].

The interview has been retrieved at the web link

19 - Captain's deposition page 6 [...] last week [...] meter of the hotel asked me [...] "I have seen that land. I would appreciate you passing by Giglio to salute the island "[...]. There was bad weather and said "no look, next time we do it. And I remember him 'that evening, that' seven days away "[...]

20 - Captain's mentor deposition page 2 - The Captain I met just arrived from another company to Costa [...]. I hope I have given him good advice. I noticed that her preparation for the maneuvers. The company Costa entrust me 'to instruct [...]

Safety Officer deposition, page 5 - [...] I know the Commander of 3 months, and I was struck by his charisma and his ability 'to maneuver even in challenging situations. For example, I recall an earlier exit from the port of Marseille with strong wind and without the aid of tugs, where the Commander has proved its capacity '[...]

Cruise+Ship+Costa+Concordia+Runs+Aground+Off+HZs1fJzBSjEl.jpg

Tonka is correct. I believe the area in the second picture is where the stabilizer was located.

Thanks. I assumed the patch in the hull was the gash from the rocks, but you're right, they removed the stabilizer and that is the steel patch seen in the photos. I wish someone like Giglio News at least provide a few photos such these each week. :)

Hi All

This link has appeared on Giglio News but isnt in a format my laptop will translate,can anybody help.

It appears to be some kind of report by Mamemet which may be useful or no use at all.

http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/notizie/Nota%20Procedura%20MAMMOET%20Salvage.pdf

Cheers Clive

Clive, I tried to get somewhere with the link and could not.

Strolling amongst some Giglio news, I came across this.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.giglionews.it/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGiglio%2BNews-English%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4TSNF_enUS427US427%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=WfRAUNjbF6K9iwKj0ICIBg&ved=0CC8Q7gEwAg

Tho I clicked for the link to bring the exact page, it brought up the home page. If you go the the third story that starts, "On 1 September at 15:30" and click on 3 comments. That should take you to the story in English (I hope.)

It concerns a meeting scheduled for tomorrow for the people to get some questions answered, which is something they don't believe they are getting.

What I'm trying to get y'all to is the pictures from port side. There are 4 pictures, which are similar to what Ken provided. Click on the first and it will scan through them.

The holes in the Steel Ribs may well be for the cables to attach to when they begin the Parbuckling.

SB ... thanks for posting the picture to support what i said yesterday, however it was ignored!

Sid, you're welcome tho I don't recall a post in which you commented on the pix in question. :o I just saw your post with the link.

We all know we're working here with something of a handicap. We're attempting to translate what we are seeing or reading. With the pictures, we aren't even being told where the areas are so we must all just work together to give it our best shot at figuring it out.

Thanks for that Micki.

The bit I was trying to get to shows a mock up of how the ship will look when she the righted.Strangely I dont seem to be able to find it again.

Perhaps we will find more out after this meeting with the residents.

Unfortunately I am away all weekend so I will have to catch up on Tuesday,Have a great weekend to everyone on this thread.