Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

And now there's another report from Giglio News that the remains thought to be Russel may actually be Maria.

"Might be a woman, and not of the Indian Russel Rebello, as speculated after the discovery, the remains found in the Costa Concordia two days ago. It is learned from investigating sources. The corpse had parts of bras and women's shoes for jogging shoes exchanged due to a long stay in water. These women's clothing on the corpse, found 3 of the bridge wreckage, investigators are to assume that it is a woman, not a man. As a result, the new hypothesis is that the corpse belongs to Italian Maria Grazia Tricarichi passenger. Meanwhile, continuing the findings of the court expert, a doctor of State police, to give an identity to the body through Dna examination."

The officials involved ought to stop with the speculations until they know for sure. It has to be hard on the family members to keep hearing "We found them" "It was not them" "We found Russel" "No its not" etc.

Here is the semi-official animation explanation of how the hulk will be loaded. Yes, the sponsons will have to be properly in place.

http://gcaptain.com/video-animation-shows-costa-concordia-float-on-dockwise-vanguard/

I found this website courtesy of my father's cousin.

I have been away for some time account a series of personal issues. I will be back from time to tim.

Interesting video thanks for the link. So I assume the sponsons on the CC were designed for a specific width if the plan was always to use the Dockwise Vanguard in order to accommodate the width of that ship.

Also, will it rest on a special cradle or blocks once on the Dockwise Vanguard to keep it from tipping over once the ballast is pumped out?

If the sponsons were not built with the Dockwise Vanguard in mind then it is an interesting coincidence that the entire thing fits just right on its deck. It even looks as if it was built for this purpose because the size is just perfect. I guess the Concordia will be the heaviest object to be lifted by Dockwise Vanguard.

Bearded Engineer .... I was thinking the same thing as i read the post you made about the two still missing. They should wait until they know for sure which of the people it is before making any further announcements..

Interesting video thanks for the link. So I assume the sponsons on the CC were designed for a specific width if the plan was always to use the Dockwise Vanguard in order to accommodate the width of that ship.

Also, will it rest on a special cradle or blocks once on the Dockwise Vanguard to keep it from tipping over once the ballast is pumped out?

That was likely a consideration in the design, but availability of the vanguard for the job would have been uncertain until the contract was signed last week, I am somewhat surprised they were able to secure a spot on the vanguard so soon.

There will have to be cradles/blocks built on the deck to hold costa concordia securely, as a shifting load could sink both vessels.

It does remove the additional risks associated with a slow tow, where any deterioration of the hulk, or a parted line could make this mess far more expensive.

Not wanting to burst anyones bubble but i was re reading the Seatrade Insider report again and it gives the impression that the Vanguard may only be an option! though it does seem to be a good one.

"Lifting the wreck, instead of towing it, provides one of the possible options for removal, Costa said."

Edited by sidari

Not wanting to burst anyones bubble but i was re reading the Seatrade Insider report again and it gives the impression that the Vanguard may only be an option! though it does seem to be a good one.

"Lifting the wreck, instead of towing it, provides one of the possible options for removal, Costa said."

The Giglio News also picked up on last week's announcement of the Dockwise Vanguard and the awarding of a $30 million contract.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013101360115/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-tramite-vanguard-il-video-boskalis.html

The way how I read it, is that a contract was awarded by Costa Crociere to Dockwise (which is a subsidiary of Boskalis). The full press release is here:

http://www.boskalis.com/press/news-archive/news-page/boskalis-awarded-contract-for-removal-of-the-concordia-onboard-the-dockwise-vanguard.html

But this is a complex operation, things can change.

50 metre crack ? but it does not say where it is apart from the side! but not where.

The picture shows what is known as a Cylinder Strainer which allows water to enter the tanks via the small holes which prevent debris and leaves from also getting in there. I dare say as it is a Butterfly valve that water can also be released through it unlike a non return valve.

Lost count of the times when i have used a Cylinder and Basket strainer to obtain water .... :D

Edited by sidari

Here is a link to some under water pictures of the side of the ship that was on the rocks.

http://www.giornalettismo.com/archives/1170599/le-prime-immagini-dello-squarcio-della-costa-concordia/

Google translation of the text:

"Here are the first pictures of the tear of the Costa Concordia. It was precisely the rock penetrated the sheet to help attach it to the bottom, and the lifting of the ship have come out debris, pipes and even a blanket. Pictures are taken from the first video showing the hitherto "hidden" of the Costa Concordia. Here they are."

Here is a link to some under water pictures of the side of the ship that was on the rocks.

http://www.giornalettismo.com/archives/1170599/le-prime-immagini-dello-squarcio-della-costa-concordia/

Google translation of the text:

"Here are the first pictures of the tear of the Costa Concordia. It was precisely the rock penetrated the sheet to help attach it to the bottom, and the lifting of the ship have come out debris, pipes and even a blanket. Pictures are taken from the first video showing the hitherto "hidden" of the Costa Concordia. Here they are."

erie pics. thanks for posting.

They don't have their facts straight. The crack is not going to be sealed.

They plated over most of the gash on the other side, it may also be done on the newly exposed holes to prevent movement of water that could cause stability problems.

They will want to keep the flooded spaces either completely full or empty to minimize free surface problems.

They don't have their facts straight. The crack is not going to be sealed.

Thanks for the photos BE.

It is indeed a major crack and will greatly reduce the strength in the hull and make getting the wreck safely onto the Vanguard more difficult.

However never say never in this type of work, it could be sealed, but it will be a major project.

Now that said, I agree with you its unlikely they will strengthen the hull in that area and seal the crack.

As to free surface, the open crack will likely let a great amount of the water flow out of the hull and additional opening could be made to release most, if not all the water at the Vanguard raises the wreck out of the water.

The fly in the ointment is if the water would be a environmental issue at this point, remember the water is freeing passing in and out of the hull now so it may not be a issue.

AKK

I would mention our old friend the Chief hit this right on the head about using the Vanguard months ago!

AKK

According to this article the Vanguard will be available should this be the final decision. What's interesting in the rest of the article is the decision about where Concordia will go. It's suggested that if a decision isn't made soon, it won't be a couple of already suggested ports in Italy because Concordia is too big. Sounds like the Italians better stop arguing about it.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2013/1021/Salvaging-the-Costa-Concordia-why-an-engineer-s-dream-is-a-daunting-task

So a Final decision has not been made on how the ship will be moved but the options are being kept open.

Earlier this year there was a programme on Discovery or Nat Geo about the Vanguard and showed it moving an Oil rig, it was certainly impressive as i am sure it would be should they choose to Move Concordia with it.

The fighting over where the ship will end up is crazy plus Italy does not have capability for taking ships apart of this size only building them.

Hi Sid.

You are totally correct, breaking up a ship is really a high tech operation. Not to mention a big investment in land and money to set up the operation.

Whose going to pay the bill?

It doesn't seem fair to charge(try to charge) the salvage operation to build a salvage yard to break up one ship, when it could be brought to the far east to be done in a existing yard.

AKK

Will this be the first time a "new" ship this size is scrapped? By "new" I mean that this is not a ship laden with a lot of hazardous materials such as tons of asbestos, lead paint and such like many of the ships being scrapped now have. It's less than 10 years old! :(

Also wondering about all that water that will pour out of the hull when the ship is refloated and then lifted by Vanguard. Will they open the hull in strategic places to allow all water inside to pour out and reduce the weight?