What to do in Dominica

pg1

We are in only one day in Roseau 4/24/12 on Celebrity Summit. What is one thing we should not miss? Thinking of taking tour of island and going to beach. Has anyone used certain tour people or booked from Celebrity shore excursions? pg1

We are just back from our cruise and Dominica was our favorite tour - we did Roseau Valley Treasures with Levi of bumpiing tours - snorkling in the champagne reef, titou gorge and trafalgar falls - all unique, beautiful and we had a blast - plus a cooler with beverages available for the day! Highly recommend this (but it does involve some climbing, swimming, etc.)

Dominica is not a beach island, but a very beautiful natural island. I would recommend Whale Watching or River Tubing. An island tour is very informative, but the roads are the worst we've encountered; blind turns. Dominica is the youngest island in the West Indies. The female and baby whales are there year round, but the males don't come back until winter from up north. We loved Dominica for its natural unspoiled beauty once you're out of town. Town isn't too much to brag about to say the least, but if you are on a long cruise, you may want some fried chicken and there is a KFC close to the dock. Not much shopping there. We have been there 3 times on 11 and 12 nighters, and many of our fellow passengers were thrilled to see KFC since fried chicken isn't usual cruise fare. Sorry or the skipping around. Hope you enjoy.

Dominica is not a beach island. We are in our late sixties also and we took a ship's island tour the first time we went there. This island is for nature lovers; it's absolutely

beautiful. We learned alot about growing bananas, their main crop. Warning, the roads are the worst; blind turns and steep and curvy. We didn't have any problems though.The next 2 times we went whale watching. Lots of whales there all year round. Shopping is very limited, a few stalls along the dock area for trinkets. They serve you a coconut to drink for free on the tours. Told us coconut water good for the kidneys, but I really swelled up with fluid after drinking that.

• 3 weeks later...
We are late 60's; looking for scenic tour recommendation and best beach to go to in Roseau, Dominica

Have been to Dominica once before and am going again in less than a month. Mero beach IMO is the best beach to go to. You will see beautiful black sand. It is quite a unique experience.

This link has a list of the beaches in Dominica. http://dominica-guide.info/attractions/beaches/

Enjoy!

Laura

We've been to Dominica 3 times, and each time we've done one of Levi's tours (Bumpiing tours). We've done the Roseau Valley Best tour, The Roseau Valley Treasures tour, and just a couple weeks ago the new Pedu Temps hike. We've enjoyed all three tours, but my personal favorite was th Pedu Temps hike. It's a small group, very personal tour that gives you a completely different way to explore the island, one that very few other visitors are going to get to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We loved the canopy/zipline tour at Wacky Rollers. We two were the only "customers", so we had personal guides. I am no spring chicken [although I AM a chicken!], in "fair" shape for someone my age, and have shoulder problems. I still loved it! I really felt a sense of accomplishment at doing something a bit "scary" and succeeding. I'd do it again in a minute!!

Hi PG1. Looks like we are both on the same cruise. We are interested in doing some sightseeing. Perhaps we can get enough to make a small private tour? We are looking at Bumpiing Tours but just starting our info gathering... any suggestions you have for other ports on our cruise?

We did a taxi tour with a local driver at the port Jerome Phillips - very knowledgeable driver - took us around Roseau, guided us through part of the botanical gardens and then to Wotten Waven to see the sulphur springs and on to Trafalgar Falls - the non cruise taxi drivers can now go there after 1 p.m. and to our surprise there were very few people there!

He stopped a lot along the way to show us trees and plants and did a stop so we could sample fruits and produce at a local fruit stall. About four hours in total and $20.00 per person. We shared the cab with one other couple. Fascinating day - breathtakingly beautiful country.

Hi, we have been working with Pepper Tours in Dominica. here is his email and pricing if we could get more couples. Also looking at the Aerial Tram; I have quote on taxi (20)and Aerial Tram price (64); ride thru rain forest; different. so not sure if tour w/Pepper or Aerial Tram which sounds really great/great reviews here and Trip Advisor

In Grenada we are connected with -----Original Message-----

Pick up time is usually 8-8.30am, because I try to stay ahead of the crowd and the rush. Its two ship on that day so it will be plenty of people.

When you enter the building I will be standing right next to customs with a sign, written on it is JNJTOURS.

I will wait for you at the beach and return you to the ship when you are ready.

I have you reserve for that day, together with a few more people.

I will provide cold drinks.The tour is consist of the Annandale Waterfall, Spice Shop, Grand Etang Rain forest/Volcano Lake/ National Park, Ft.Frederick and Grand Anse beach.

I will wait for you at the beach and return you to the ship.

The cost of the tour is $40 per person and you can pay in the form of cash at the end of the tour.

St. Croix we are http://www.sandcastleonthebeach.com It is not too far from the ship and

there is a shuttle that goes there. I believe it was 6.00 roundtrip

(been a couple of years since I have been there)

When you disembark the ship there is only one way

to go.....keep walking and you will find an area that have some local

folks sitting there and they will take your money and give you a ticket and there are vans that will take you to the hotel (and pick you uplater in the day).

St Kitts we are booked with

-----Original Message-----

To: pg1

Sent: Sun, Feb 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Subject: RE: Looking for tour guide 4/23/12; sailing Celebrity Summit

8:15 – 8:30am

here is the tour..

you would circle the island clockwise starting on the Caribbean side at Basseterre and working around to the Atlantic stopping at Romney Manor, Caribelle Batik, Brimstone Hill Fortress, Dieppe Bay point, Black Rocks, Timothy hill and a few other scenic places. the island tour is 3 - 4 hours then have lunch at a beach on the peninsula. you can then have some beach time or tour the peninsula and back the the ship. can spend the full time you have here or be back early if you want. $45 each including all drinks, lunch and entrance fee.

how to meet if you want..

TO MEET AT PORT - as you get on the port you go through the big entrance building and I would be on the other side facing you with a sign of my name and wearing a yellow shirt. My cell is 869 663-4529 you can take just in case, anyone at the port would help make a call for you. If you get there before I do, you can wait or walk around for a few minutes. pay after the trip, cash or travelers check.

thanks, let me know.

Royston

The independent taxis are on the left of the pier near the vendors stalls as you disembark - the drivers will approach you to solicit business - there are lots of them. The pre-booked tour vehicles are on the right hand side of the pier in an official parking area reserved just for them.

If you are thinking of doing the aerial tram check the price differences between booking on line plus cost of a taxi to get there and back with the one offered by Celebrity. The ship one might be easier and more hassle free even if it costs a bit more.

Whatever you choose to do in Dominica it will be memorable!

gee, I didn't reply right; you can see what we are doing below. I am thinking now of booking the scenic/aerial tram w/shore excusions. Less hassle even though few more $$ but have read such great reviews on the tram thru rainforest and this is something new for us to do.

• 2 weeks later...
We are just back from our cruise and Dominica was our favorite tour - we did Roseau Valley Treasures with Levi of bumpiing tours - snorkling in the champagne reef, titou gorge and trafalgar falls - all unique, beautiful and we had a blast - plus a cooler with beverages available for the day! Highly recommend this (but it does involve some climbing, swimming, etc.)

Gmacher, was the new time rule in effect when you did this tour? I've read that private tours aren't allowed into Trafalgar Falls until 2:00 now. Does that mean it gets very crowded then?

I booked the half-day Caribbean cooking tour from Celebrity Summit in March, 2012. The tour company picked us up and took us to the owner's home, where his wife and her chef partner taught us how to create a complete Caribbean meal. They demonstrated and then let US do most of the actual "work" (really "play") under their tutelage. The food and drinks were DELICIOUS! And the tour operator followed up (as promised) by sending us the recipes they used, plus some extras! I would go back on the same tour in a heartbeat! I miss Dominica already ....

We just returned from an 11 day cruise and after reading these boards I emailed and arranged to have a tour via Reyno Tours (http://www.reynotours.com/about.html). The response to my email and inquiries was prompt, we were met at the ship as promised and had a private driver (Alec... I recommend asking for him) for 4 of us; I feel that this company went way beyond my expectations and we all had a wonderful time. Our tour included a drive through the botanical gardens, a walk in the rainforest, up to Ti Tou Gorge (and we chose to swim in the Gorge which is an adventure not to be missed... very easy, rent a $2 flotation belt on site), then on to Wotten Woven to spend time at the sulfur spas... we went to Tia's and it was heavenly... and we were the only ones there at the time. Then we went to a local place for a fab lunch and then on to Trafalger Falls (can be very slippery and treacherous trying to walk to the falls so we only went part way); stunning scenery to be in the midst of. Then off to Soufriere/Scots Head Marine Reserve to snorkel at Champagne Reef, which is right off the beach... walk in snorkelling. I recommend bringing or wearing aqua sox/shoes because it is helpful if you get in water or walk on rocky terrain.

Our driver, Alec, was so accommodating, knowledgeable, good natured and we all had such a good time. Even made a stop for Rum Raisin ice cream per my request/craving:)

screw spa is also a quick and relaxing trip. the hot sulphur pools are very relaxing.

I LOVE SCREWS SPA. We have been there 4 times and we are going again in Oct. Screw has built formations to encase the natural springs. My description just can not do justice. GO, $20 pp I believe for an hour. The rain forest setting is so lush. Enjoy

Our cruise ship stopped in Dominica on March 27th and our group of 10 took a "Pirates of the Caribbean Fun Tour" with Sheppee. What a great day! Sheppee met us at the cruise terminal at the agreed upon time whereupon we got in his comfortable van and had a tour of Roseau. This was our first chance for Sheppee to get to know us and vice versa. He certainly isn't shy and told us about his recently born son while each couple told him how long they had been together and how they had met. Lots of fun banter!

We then headed to Champagne Reef where about half the group rented equipment and did about a half hour of snorkelling. I didn't but those who did talked highly about the fish and coral they saw. The real attraction there is the bubbles in the water from a volcanic vent. Sheppee entertained those that didn't snorkel with info about some the nearby plants and trees along with some of his own humorous stories. Before we got underway, we were treated to some water, fruit juice, beer or rum punch (wicked!).

Then we were off to Ti Tou Gorge (where Orlando Bloom did a little swimming in the "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" movie). This was just before noon and the high heat of the day and the swim in the cool water was totally refreshing. Highly recommend water shoes. Being a good swimmer would help (everyone must wear a swim belt) but Sheppee has a life preserver and will pull you through the deeper section that has a swifter current. You have the option of climbing next to a waterfall and then taking the 8 foot plunge back into the pool (do it if you can!). With a little coaxing, get Sheppee to do his "Spider.man Jump" from the same location. I won't spoil your experience by providing any further explanation!

We then travelled to Trafalgar Falls and had an amazing 10-15 minute walk through the rain forest to get to the twin falls. It's a bit of a challenging walk but we learned a lot more about the plants and trees along the way. The falls are not as impressive as say Niagara Falls but interesting nonetheless. More interesting were the hot sulphur spring pools close to the bottom of the falls where you can sit and relax before trekking back to the van. We stopped at a small roadside restaurant just minutes from the falls and sampled some local food (at a reasonable extra cost). Along the way, Sheppee freely dispensed the beverages he brought with him. We headed back to the cruise ship (this was a 6 1/2 hour tour) via the Botanical Gardens for one last "lesson" on trees indigenous to Dominica.

This tour was one of the highlights of our cruise week. Sheppee was lots of fun (constant quizzes and music including Bob Marley's "Feel Alright") and he is very knowledgable about the history of the island, its plants, etc. Probably most important, he is passionate about Dominica and gets you excited about it too. I would highly recommend Sheppee's tours to anyone visiting Dominica.

Greg

Hi PG1. Looks like we are both on the same cruise. We are interested in doing some sightseeing. Perhaps we can get enough to make a small private tour? We are looking at Bumpiing Tours but just starting our info gathering... any suggestions you have for other ports on our cruise?

Our family is also on this cruise. It is two weeks away, but have not set up any tours yet. We are debating between Wacky Rollers and Bumpiing Tours. Has anyone made a reservation yet? There is a small group on the Roll Call board. Come on over. We are meeting at 3:45. Come join us.

Go to Screws Spa, you will not be disappointed. Your driver will take you to trafalger falls and the other locations repeated on the boards but Screws spa will be your highlight. I'm a native jersey girl, I won't steer you wrong!!!:)

Archived