Avalon Danube River Cruise Port Question?

tstr

Hi there Tstr -- it seems we (a group of 8 of us) are going on the same cruise!! So, if you don't mind, I will follow you abit on this site. We have much the same questions and I sure am interested in the replies. This is our first river boat cruise as well, although some of us have cruised on the "big" ships. Anything you would care to share that you find would be appreciated. We are just now trying to decide on (if any!!) excursions we (some or all of us) should take.

thanks -- GramSan

Hi Gransam - Glad to hear we are on the same cruise. I will pass any info I get to you. I recently sent emails to some of the guides that were so graciously recommended by others on here about some private tours in Prague and will let you know what I find out.

Please share any info you have or find out regarding the excursions.

Were you aware that the itenary has changed due to lock repairs?

Yes, we are aware of the changes in our cruise. We kind of figured that sailing from Nuremburg would have been great, but several of the other lines already start at Passau, so I guess we will be okay!! Avalon advised our TA fairly early, so we are satisfied. Can't wait for the trip. We are flying from Chicago to Heathrow and then on to Prague. Have had a personal guide on our last trip to Rome and it turned out to be one of the best things we did. So, I will be checking with the rest of our group to see how they feel -- would first like to see some prices however. Any info on that would be great; meanwhile, I will try to find some info on costs by Googling whatever I can think of!!!

Great to hear from you!!!

I was glad to see that Avalon adjusted the schedule and added 2 additional ports (Durenstein and Bratislava). We also did a private guide in Rome on our Med Cruise and I agree it was well worth it. I will let you know what I find out. It is just my wife and I so it may be more economical for us to do it together?

We are flying out of Pittsburgh to DC/Frankfurt/Prague. Tough to do it with one connection for us. I almost booked your flight but could not handle the idea of going west first.

She met us at the Hilton and we walked all over Prague. We also took the streetcar/train with her which was very helpful as she knew the routes and how to pay, etc. Tell her Dobie referred you, I got some pics of her and her children and husband not long ago. She is so nice.

As an aside, we loved Durnstein!! Be sure to climb the hill up to the castle ruins, and be out on the top deck when you sail into Durnstein, wonderful photo ops.

We visited all of these ports on our Danube river cruise with Viking and spent 4 days post-extension in Prague. We are walkers and walked in all of the cities. In Vienna we walked to the amusement park in Leopoldstadt to ride the Giant Wheel ferris wheel. We had spent Christmas in Vienna when we lived in Germany so had already seen most of the other tourist attractions. We also went to an optional classical concert one evening in Vienna and it was excellent. Prague, now one of our favorite cities in the world, was amazing and we walked everywhere on our own. We took the Viking guided tours at all of the ports and still had time to do some exploring on our own.

She never mentioned that to us, she has a husband and 3 children now....she and her husband used to travel a lot, they spent time in Australia, kind of a free spirit I think, (actually worked picking fruit) but she does have a university degree in social work and spent several years doing that. I'm going to have to email her ask her now....I do know that she has had so many years off of work now (paid for by the government) because of having her children, that her former employer still will have to give her a job when she gets back. I can't remember how much time she told us she got for each child (maybe 3 years?) don't quote me I could be wrong.

This forum is great -- getting so much info!!! Tstr -- we would definitely be interested in a 'group' rate HOWEVER -- must tell you there are 8 WOMEN in our group!!! that may change your mind about doing this all together! We are planning a get-together soon and will discuss as many aspects of the trip as we can, but 5 of us were on the trip to Rome where we used a guide and we all enjoyed it very much.

Keep in touch and thanks to all of those who are giving us so much help and information -- really appreciate it!

Having done 2 river cruises,one in 2007 and one in 2010, here are my thoughts:

Passau- Visit the cathedral-hopefully you will be there for an organ concert. Visit the glass museum-beautiful-both are walking distance

Melk-The abbey is fantastic, but at the top of a hill. try to get a taxi or go with the ship's tour.

Durnstein-The ship's tour takes you to the church with the unusual blue tower and maybe a wine tasting.

Vienna-the subway into town is about a 6 block walk. I got off at St. Stephen's square toured and ended up at another subway station further down near the opera. That way it saves walking.

Budapest-fantastic city.Take the tour to the Fisherman's Bastion and the cathedrals. There is also a very large synagogue that is open to the public.

Both trip stories are on our website.

Thanks Steve and Kathy for your wonderful presentation of your trips!! I'm glad I read your stories and now am axiously awaiting our trip in Aug/Sept on the MS Sound of Music 7 day land and 9 day river cruise from Munich to Budapest. I feel more knowlegable now on how the tours work and know that we can go on our own around certain ports. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

tstr -- wondering if you have heard anything from any of the guides you have emailed?? I have found a site (a Rick Steves recommendation) that I checked. I 'googled' Personal Prague Guide and checked prices, etc. It appears that a group of 8 is pretty much a limit (at least on the prices on the site). After talking with my group of 8 women, we have decided we would do this on our own -- to leave you and your wife time together with anyone you might find. We are trying to decides on the extra excursions to do and will attempt to book them ahead of the cruise.

Any info on these excursions would be great!!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Judie - Were you close enough in Budapest to also do some things on your own? Any other recommendations/tips. We have only been on one other cruise and it was a Mediteranean ocean cruise on "Brillance of the Seas" which I see you just went on - small world!

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a charming, safe area, local hotel in Budapest?

• 4 weeks later...

Bonnie -- Myself and a group of 7 other ladies are leaving for our Legendary Danube cruise TODAY. If you are planning on taking this cruise with Avalon, I would be happy to answer any questions I can. This forum has been quite helpful to me and am only happy to help someone else!!! We have hired a personal guide for our 3rd day in Prague -- will let anyone know how that goes. GramSan

Have a wonderful time and don't forget to check in when you return and let us know how everything went.

My brother and sister-in-law are taking this cruise in September, so they'll also have lots of info, although they don't do much online.

Archived