EEK- NY-bound Cruise ship diverted after being damaged in bad weather - slightly OT

MonaCK

http://www.wnbc.com/news/4386519/detail.html

NEW YORK -- A large cruise ship on its way back to New York was sidelined Saturday because of bad weather.

Stormy waters and high winds tossed the Norwegian Dawn cruise ship, causing unknown damage to it, officials said.

The ship left the Bahamas Thursday and was scheduled to pull into New York Harbor this weekend. It is instead in the Port of Charleston in South Carolina, NewsChannel 4 reported.

The ship was re-directed to South Carolina after a concerned relative of a passenger reported to the Coast Guard that passengers became frightened in the storm, NewsChannel 4 reported.

The Coast Guard said a huge wave crashed into a deck.

Several passengers reported windows being blown out of the ship, NBC News confirmed Saturday evening.

There were also reports of water in some cabins, NewsChannel 4 reported.

The ship was supposed to arrive in New York on Sunday, but it will now dock sometime on Monday, officials said.

Coast Guard inspectors were on their way to assess the damage Saturday evening.

The Coast Guard said one passenger suffered minor cuts.

The Norwegian Dawn cruise ship can carry more than 2,000 passengers.

Mona.

There were posts on other boards...Not sure if it was mentioned on this board yet or not...But thats ok..

I know that one of the Voyager class ships..I think its the Explorer,is equipt with some sort of,well...equiptment to help monitor these "freak" waves.

They are relatively rare in the Caribbean,and I don't think this one was near the

level of what they are really interested in.I have read stories of large ships that have been completly washed over by waves that appear for no forecasted reason.They somehow,use the radar on the Explorer,in reverese, to monitor the waves and their patterns and using cruise ships that sail regular routes are a big help.

Guest OBAYbee

New York weathermen say that the storm they were in was stationary most of last week and that the Captain had to know it was there. Scary indeed. I hate cruising in the Atlantic it is always rougher there. Guess he underestimated it, or hit a particularly bad spot for some reason. Those passengers interviewed on TV looked pretty shook up.

One more point. The ship was in a Hurry to get back to NY early for a special event(I believe NCL was doing a new commercial on the Dawn). It was supposed to be here at 5 am instead of its normal 9or so). probably at full speed, but it makes this run every week and there is always a rough spot a little higher by Cape Hatterous.--- Rogue waves can happen at any time and if the size of this was accurate(80 feet- 25 meters) I am sure it was unexpected....the reports are that the cabins and windows effected on on the 8 and 9th levels---- very high up and remember that the bow is at least 75 feet in from of any cabin on these floors.

I've now been lurking over on the NCL board, and they really seem to have done right by those affected by the storm. 50% off this cruise... 50% off the next cruise.. $200 cruise credits to current passangers, and those passangers who were supposed to board tomorrow that are losing a day of their cruise... and from what I'm reading, the crew has been -great- to those involved.

Archived