Ballantine pier to Canada Place?

Now that I thought I had everything taken care of I find out that Radiance of the Seas leaves from Ballantine Pier in Vancouver instead of Canada Place. Ok, what is the best way to get to Canada Place because I've rented a car from there?

No, it is not. The whole area and terminal stunk (IMHO) I will never again sail out of Vancouver on RCCL because of having to go out of Ballantyne, Actually, that whole side of downtown is basically a slum. We thought we had gotten a decent hotel far enough away from the bad side only to find ourselves directly across from a XXX theater/bookstore or something, with people down on the street making noise all night.

By contrast, the other half of the city and Graneville Island are very nice.

You might try this link for some info. http://www3.telus.net/cruise_watch/info.htm

No, it is not. The whole area and terminal stunk (IMHO) I will never again sail out of Vancouver on RCCL because of having to go out of Ballantyne, Actually, that whole side of downtown is basically a slum. We thought we had gotten a decent hotel far enough away from the bad side only to find ourselves directly across from a XXX theater/bookstore or something, with people down on the street making noise all night.

By contrast, the other half of the city and Graneville Island are very nice.

You might try this link for some info. http://www3.telus.net/cruise_watch/info.htm

I wouldn´t let sailing out of Ballantine turn me away fro sailing out of Vancouver. You still sail along the beautiful skyline of Vancouver and underneath the bridge out to sea. Just take a nice downtown hotel and take a taxi to or from the pier. You´ll only see the bad area during the taxi ride and the rest of Vancouver is just too beautiful to be left out.

Take a taxi from your hotel. That area is not a desirable place to wander, especially after dark. The terminal itself is actually not bad.

We are building a state of the art new cruise terminal right now, should be ready by 2008 cruise season. It is situated right next to present terminal. I said we becasue we live in Vanouver, actually suburban.

Ricky

Ricky -are you sure it is a cruise terminal? I believe it is a convention center. It is being designed to be the media center for the Olympics.

Ballantyne is not that bad, and not all RCCL ship dock there. I am sailing on the Vision this spring and we dock at Canada Place. Yes, it is in a not so great area of town, but it is in a shipyard for heaven's sake. I have seen many other ports that are not a nice - the terminal itself is fine.

As I originally suggested take a taxi, or if your rental car company allows for pick ups - have them pick you up at Ballantyne. Our corporate rental agency is Enterprise and they pick us up anywhere in Vancouver. Doesn't hurt to ask.

We sailed on the Radiance last summer and left from Ballantyne. The nice thing about that pier is that the Radiance is the only ship there so it's not as crowded and the embarkation process was very good. It's not in the best neighborhood but the taxi ride from downtown is only about 10 minutes and the cab drops you off right in front and the baggage is taken right from there. You go upstairs and check in and they have food out for you (drinks and cookies and sandwiches). Before you know it they are calling you onboard. We liked it so much last year, we are sailing again in May!

That was our problem though when we booked the hotel. We thought that the bad part was only up by the peir, so we booked 3/4 of the way between the terminal and Granville. It wasn't far enough.

I think Vancouver would be a great place to sail out of if they just did two things: demolish/renovate half of downtown, and fix the nightmare at the airport. Yes, they have improved the departure part a bit with thier "cruise terminal at the airport" concept, but arrival was still very bad due to a simple lack of personnel. Those in our party who were not departing via the cruise terminal at the airport concept (because of their airline) also suffered from lack of adequate staffing. I qualify all of this in that it was almost two years ago and things may have changed. Downtown Ft. Worth used to be really bad about 14 years ago as well. It took money and effort, but now other cities in the state are envious of how popular it is with the tourists (and locals as well).

If we did go again, we would go a few days earlier to spend more time on Granville Island. Loved that place.

I think you will be near the fairgrounds at the Holiday Inn Express - it is not a terrible part of town, but you may want to find something in the downtown core - there are not so many amenities in that area.

Good Luck

I just found out that on my Radiance cruise in Sept, I will be sailing solo. Any suggestions for a reasonable and safe downtown hotel for a 40 something female traveling alone. Glad I found this thread, I may have made a terrible mistake.

The Hyatt is in a great area of downtown. You will be very happy with it. I echo others .... do not even think of staying close to Ballentyne pier. The Holiday Inn Express near the PNE is in a better area ... but not where I personally would want to stay. The pier itself is fine ... but don't go walking. You might see more "sights" than you want!! That being said, Vancouver is like any other large city. Most parts of it are fine, some lovely and some not so lovely.

Holiday Inn - This one is right downtown - I would not stay at any of the others. 1110 HOWE ST @ HELMCKEN - it is okay - older, but there is dining amenities, close to a Starbucks and walking distance to the main shopping areas. Short 10 minute cab ride to the pier.

I saw on the website that Crown Plaza hotels have a relationship with Holiday Inn as well - the Hotel Georgia (Crown Plaza) is a great little hotel in the heart of the city. Historic hotel by Vancouver standards.

If it makes you feel better, I have worked in Vancouver hotels for 15 years. I would not hesitate to stay in either location if the price was right. Good Luck and happy planning.

As a Vancouverite, some comments:

Ballantyne is a shipyard located in an industrial area of town. The area is definately not scenic and there is some prostitution in the side streets. Other than that it is pretty deserted. However, you do not really need to fear for your safety and there is absolutely no reason to wander the area around the terminal anyway - there is nothing to see.

From a practical standpoint, we have sailed out of both ports:

Canada Place is beautiful and the most convenient as far as proximity to the downtown shopping areas, Gastown, financial district and is definately upscale. Any hotel in this area would be a good location for sightseeing. It is also a short taxi ride to Stanley Park - a must see!

However, embarkation at Canada Place is nowhere as quick and smooth as that at Ballantyne just because of the volume of cruise ship traffic, tourist traffic and ease of car access.(Last fall when we were dropped off for a cruise at CAnada Place, it took our son 30 minutes to drive the three blocks from the Gastown area).

I think the ideal thing to do is to stay in the downtown core pre cruise and then taxi to Ballantyne when your ship sails.

Sailing out of Ballantyne is really a non-issue - we have been in many ports world wide located in similar or worse areas - by the time you get to the port, the last thing on your mind is sightseeing other than sightseeing the ship.

Happy cruising!

Sorry gigvic I don´t want to hijack your thread but there are so many Vancouver experts here that I´d like to ask a little OT question.

I´m sailing into Vancouver in September just as port of call, not for embarkation / debarkation. Is there a website where I can find information on what ships are docked a specific day and where they´ll be docked?

I hope we´ll be docked at Canada Place as it would be more convenient for a port of call stop.

Thanks.

Cruise Cat thanks for the great web-site. Will remember that one. Will also call Budget and see if they will pick us up at B-pier. We're staying at the Empire Landmark Hotel on Robson Street. Anyone know anything about this hotel??

There is a Holiday Inn in North Vancouver ...quite near the 2nd Narrows Bridge. It is quite new (approx 5 years old), very clean, has an indoor pool , a coffee shop and a great pub. It is in a very safe area but .. not much else around within walking distance. It is a short cab ride to Ballentyne pier (15 minutes if not rush hour). All depends what you want. There is also one near the Lions Gate bridge on Capilano Road but I'd take this one over that. If you arrive late, just need a place to sleep etc. , then this would do well. I think the rates are good.

Archived