American Express Travel Fund Card

In 2 weeks I'll be on an RC cruise to Ocho Rios and the Grand Caymans. I wanted to know if anyone has used the American Express Travel fund card for purchases on the islands as well as on the ship w/o problems, or extra fees? It seems a little easier then carrying around the traveler checks. But I guess for Open Air Market Shopping I would still need regular traveler checks or cash? Thanks!

Search the boards.....I am in retail...all of these pre-paid credit card type things are a PIA. The customer rarely knows the amount on the card and we spend too much time calling to find out the balance. Not fun if there are 10 people in line.

In a nutshell....

Unless you know the exact amount on the card-if the purchase is more than that-the card will be declined.

EXAMPLE: your card is worth $100. Your shipboard account is $200. BOOM..card declined. The merchant must change the amount of the charge to equal that of the funds on the card.

I believe you can use them at ATM machines with the AMEX logo to get cash.

I suggest you use conventional travelers checks. Or make sure you know the balance on the card, and make sure the charge is for less than that amount (or equal to).

The banks say "...use anywhere blah blah is accepted..." Fine, but they should explain how things really work.

• 1 month later...

You'll be safer with Amex Travellers cheques, they are accepted almost everywhere, if not go to store and buy a pack of gum.

Plus don't forget to put the numbers somewhere seperately and they are always replaced with no questions....

have fun

Archived