Explorer vs. Allure

mrsmoku

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of planning our honeymoon cruise but are having a problem deciding which one to choose.

We're 23 and went on the Mariner of the Seas to the Mexican Riveria in August 2010 and had sooooo much fun both on the ship and in the ports.

We want to do the Caribbean/Bermuda cruise for our honeymoon but we cant decide between two cruises - one on the Explorer and one on the Allure.

The Explorer has a 10 day cruise that goes to 5 ports. We would have to fly to the departing port ($500 r.t. for both) but the cabin prices are much lower than the Allure.

The Allure has a 7 day cruise with 3 ports. We could drive to the departing port but cabin prices are about $600 more than the Explorer.

So, in the end, the prices end up more of less equal with shuttle, gas, parking, etc. We would choose the 10 day one on the Explorer BUT we're worried the ship wont be very exciting because we already went on the Mariner.

Any thoughts, ideas, or advice???

If the ship is the reason you're cruising, then by all means, choose Allure! But, if it's time and ports you're after, go Explorer! It's basically the same ship as Mariner, with minor variations.

If you really want Allure, but have extra time, stay and play in Florida! There's lots to do for those extra days!

We have been on the Mariner (sister to Explorer) twice and love it. However, we just went 2 weeks ago and the sea days were a lot colder than I expected. When are you planning to cruise? If you are cruising in the winter months, the weather on your sea days will probably be cooler than if you leave from Ft. Lauderdale.

We are trying the Allure for the first time in October. I am excited about trying out the largest and most innovative ship.

Like the previous poster said, it depends on if you want more ports and a longer cruise versus the experience of Allure and all it has to offer. You could always draw out of a hat!

Beth

The Voyager-class ships are my favorite (Mariner and Explorer in that class). We did the 9-night Bermuda/Caribbean cruise in May and it was awesome. The longer cruise was nice and relaxing - we felt like we had time to do everything we wanted with the extra two days.

Like someone else had mentioned, the time of year you are looking to go could play a role. We went at the end of May into the beginning of June and the first and last day were a lot cooler than had we left from Florida.

I've cruised in August and had great weather and zero issues with hurricanes/storms but it is something to consider since it's prime hurricane season.

I'm not sure how RCL would change the Explorer cruise if after leaving Bermuda & starting to head to the caribbean there ended up being some sort of storm. If you are on the Allure and whatever side of the carib. is being hit, you usually will just get switched to the other, or have a reversed itinerary to avoid the bad weather.

Another thing to consider is in August, you are apt to find a LOT more kids on the Allure. On the Explorer, there will still be a lot, but with the longer cruise, there usually is less kids.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong! You will probably just need to pick one on the convenience of driving vs flying and the longer vs shorter.

why are you limiting yourself to theses two ships? If you have your heart set on Bermuda, then by all means, do the Explorer. I've been on her 4 times, and would go again. Especially if it meant 3 extra days of cruise and 2 extra ports.

The Allure is beautiful and is hard to pass up. But if price is a consideration (when isn't it) what about splitting the diffenence and doing the Freedom?

Congratulations on your big day!

I had the exact same dilemma too.

We are 25. It's our honeymoon. We live in Jersey so to take the Explorer or to fly to FLL and take the Allure. Sailed the Mariner together (my 3rd cruise/his 1st) in 2007. Jersey was a longer cruise, but an older ship and we already sailed on the Mariner. Allure was a jaw dropping ship but the islands (Eastern) were just so-so. (I have done Eastern 2x and Western we did together 1x).

Are we the same person? Haha!

Ultimately we decided it was our honeymoon so go big or go home. We decided on the Allure in August. We did Eastern since he has not done it. We have decided if we don't get off the ship it's no big deal. We are there to be together, have dinner together (he works 9-5...I work 4-10), and to just enjoy being married. We decided to save a local departure port for when we have kids and airlines and traveling will be too much.

Archived