Blue Mountain Coffee: Worth it or a bunch of hype?

grhokie

I'm curious about this too. I love coffee, but is it really worth the hefty price? Is it typically a light or dark roast? When I went to Hawaii a couple years ago, I picked up Kona coffee and was quite disappointed because it was such a light roast. For me, the darker and stronger the better.

I'll buy some regardless as a gift for my dad who thinks coffee should be so strong that you must consume it with a fork but I might buy some for myself. I am a Dunkin Donuts guy vs. a Starbucks guy.

Wife and I had a cup of it on Prncess, both thought it was STRONG and bitter. We heard it goes for about $50 a pound in USA, wonder if that is true. Anyhow enjoy it.

I suspect that strength is not necessarily determined by the fact that it's Jamaican coffee... but by the roasting of the beans.

We bought a pound of Jablum premium blend for $20 for a pound of beans. We've enjoyed it for the last ten days... but I'm afraid tomorrow will be the last day... :(

It was surprisingly mellow... and we really enjoyed it.

But ultimately, I don't know that it's THAT different from the fair trade beans I buy at Sam's Club for $15 for 2.5 lbs.

I bought some at the end of January and brought it home. I am in the "not worth the money" category. I am somewhat of a coffee aficianado and I can name several types, from light to dark roasts, I can get locally at 1/4 of the price that I like much better. I'm glad I only brought home a 4oz bag.

There is a different between Blue Mountain Whole Bean Coffee and Blue Mountain BLEND Whole Bean Coffee. The later only has SOME Blue Mountain Coffee in it.

If it is too good of a deal - walk away – it is NOT the real deal.

When buying Blue Mountain Whole Bean Export Quality Coffee in the US - you can expect to pay $40 to $50 per pound.

Like with any coffee - it come light, medium and dark roast.

Make sure you check the "pull date" and make sure the bag is sealed.

You might always want to check the price at a local grocery store – remember that the exchange is about 86 Jamaican Dollars to every 1 US Dollar.

If you use a guide, tell them what you are looking for and if you get “taken” report back here about that guide!!!

I'll buy some regardless as a gift for my dad who thinks coffee should be so strong that you must consume it with a fork but I might buy some for myself. I am a Dunkin Donuts guy vs. a Starbucks guy.

I think it's hype, we bought some for us and did buy some for gifts but really couldn't tell anything that just stood out of it being spectacular for what it cost.

I was lucky to have been to a store where the people were very professional...they allow us to do samples right there in the store and believe me they were very good coffee. One of the brands was the blue mountain jablum and i don't remember what the other one was.

Oooh, that sounds great! Where was this store located?

Archived