Londonderry & Giant's Causeway in 9 Hours?

Our schedule at Belfast port is supposedly 0800 to 1800. If we are first off the ship and return at 1700, we have nine hours at the most. Our group (soon to be easily at least 16) wants to see Giant's Causeway and drive the coastline. Is it possible to drive first directly north and spend a couple of hours at Londonderry before driving down the coast? We are willing to give up a sit-down lunch for a sandwich and bottle of water in the van on-the-go. I'd substitute time to order some home delivery at Bushmills for a view of a rope bridge. Really would like to hear from locals before I discuss with tour companies.

Thanks,

DJ:)

• 1 month later...

You can do it, but by the time your at the Causeway all the other cruise passangers will be there and the queues will be around 45mins each way for the shuttle buses bad move! I would forget about Londonderry its just maddness to try that. I do causeway tours and without the Bushmills tour it still takes about 8-9hrs from the City.

We went to the Causeway in May of last year. Had a van with 12 of us in it, drove the coastline up, spent a couple hours at the Causeway, had lunch, we were going to stop at a distillery, but changed ou minds and drove directly back as we wanted to see the murals. Well, there was a bomb scare near the port, and we got stuck in horrible traffic.....our guide/driver told us this was quite common.

We actually made it back to the ship on time, but others (including most of the Princess tours) didn't make it back until 2-3 hours past sailaway. Of course the ship waited, but it was a harrowing day (albeit very fun with our new friends on the tour with us).

Although delayed, the advice is much appreciated. In actuality, couldn't find a tour company that would arrange this for cruise passengers. I guess nobody in this specific very competitive environment would want to have the reputation for a van of passengers at an empty dock! Have decided to use Odyssey and have recruited at some effort a full van of 16. As Bushmills won't ship back to the USA, we intend to have time for a drive-around Belfast on return. (Hopefully bomb threats were some years ago?)

DJ:)

Archived