What is the longest cruise you have been on?

Feels Goodman

Our longest is 16, but we followed it with a 12 day immediately after, so it was kind of 28 days. This was a Transatlantic/W. Medit followed by an E. Medit so we got to see much of that part of Europe and even Turkey and Egypt. Assuming you're asking about the mainstream cruise lines rather than a gay one, as for how long I would suggest for a first timer, I'll provide you with a few considerations:

- Are you looking for a party boat? A younger crowd? Go for a short cruise, 5 days or less on ships like Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Carnival. This tends to attract a younger crowd (since younger folks don't have as much vacation time) and the activities tend to be made for more of a party crowd.

- Are you looking for relaxation? Are you looking for a classier crowd? Go for a longer cruise. Cruise lines such as Princess and Celebrity may be good fits. The long cruises tend to have sea days, which allows you to just relax by sleeping in and enjoying the ships amenities. The crowd also tend to be more mature and well traveled.

- Are you prone to sea/motion sickness? If so, take a longer cruise (ie. 7 days or longer). I know this sounds dumb, but actually what happens is you adjust and get used to the rocking after a couple of days. If you only take a 3-4 day cruise, you would have missed out on so much of the trip and would likely not have had any part of the vacation to be enjoyable (and likely will think cruising is horrible). Alternatively, you can go for a cruise on mega ships, like Royal Caribbean's Voyager-class, Freedom-class, and Oasis-class. These ships are so big that it really takes large waves to rock them so with the stabilizers that are on these ships, it makes it less likely that you'll get sick.

• 2 weeks later...

5 months!! :eek: I worked on the Disney Wonder from August 2011 - January 2012. Sailed the last 3 weeks of Alaska, then 2 weeks dry dock in Victoria, then repo to LA and sailed the Mexican Riv (OK...Cabo and PV) for a few months. As you can see from my signature I love sailing whether as a passenger or a crew member. Once cruising is in your blood you can't stop!:D I'm about to do my first TA on the NCL Spirit but I'll be working on that as well (that sailing only). Looking forward to a TA as I've always wanted to do one.

I agree that a 7 day is your best bet, as you are on the west coast, I would suggest one of the Mexican Riviera cruises from LA or San Diego. There are many lines that sail these routes, Princess, HAL, X, Carnival, Disney,rcl.

We have done 4 trips of more than 30 days. 33 days Sydney to LA, 35 days Hong Kong to Vancouver, 33 days Capetown to Sydney, 30 days Fort Lauderdale to Santiago.

God, how that first cruise hooks you.

5 months!! :eek: I worked on the Disney Wonder from August 2011 - January 2012. Sailed the last 3 weeks of Alaska, then 2 weeks dry dock in Victoria, then repo to LA and sailed the Mexican Riv (OK...Cabo and PV) for a few months. As you can see from my signature I love sailing whether as a passenger or a crew member. Once cruising is in your blood you can't stop!:D I'm about to do my first TA on the NCL Spirit but I'll be working on that as well (that sailing only). Looking forward to a TA as I've always wanted to do one.

As a crew member do you get to go on land much or do they keep you working even in port?

I agree that a 7 day is your best bet, as you are on the west coast, I would suggest one of the Mexican Riviera cruises from LA or San Diego. There are many lines that sail these routes, Princess, HAL, X, Carnival, Disney,rcl.

We have done 4 trips of more than 30 days. 33 days Sydney to LA, 35 days Hong Kong to Vancouver, 33 days Capetown to Sydney, 30 days Fort Lauderdale to Santiago.

God, how that first cruise hooks you.

I will keep Mexican Riviera cruises in mind. I know my dream cruise would be from the US to Egypt, but I am not even sure if there is a ship that does such a trip. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Our longest cruise was 105 days, around the world. Would not suggest it as a first. If you live near NYC, an 11-12 day cruise out of Bayonne or 7 day out of Manhattan might be a good beginning. There are unlimited 7-14 day cruises out of Florida, primarily Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but also ports further north. On the West Coast, an Alaska cruise or cruise-tour out of Seattle, Vancouver or,even, San Francisco, can't be beat for pure beauty of scenery.

BTW, if you want to brave it, the approx. 35 day HAL Voyage of the Vikings (each year a slight variation on the title) is spectacular. It is in 2 segments; USA to Europe, Europe cruising and back to USA. Love longer cruises like this as one only needs make a short flight to the USA port and not have to fly to

Europe, especially considering how unpleasant and expensive air travel is today.

Archived