Empress of The Seas- newly remodled?

Well for my very first cruise my Aunt is taking me on a small short cruise.

We're going on Empress of The Seas. I've been reading a lot of reviews and I hate to say but everything is sounding disappointing because all of the reviews have been for before the remodeled it I guess.

Not ever having been on a cruise before I'm just not sure what to expect. A lady I work with has made comments (she's been on a few cruises) like "oh it's such a tiny ship.. i've heard it's not very nice" blah blah blah..

Personally.. I'm not going for what the dang ship looks like! :rolleyes:

I'm a 23 year old Mother to 2 little boys (4 1/2 and 1 year on 4/22) this is just time for ME. Time so Mommy can learn how to be 'Robyn' again. DH and I both work LOTS.. and this is a FREE trip!:D

Was just curious to know if anyone can lift my spirits about this ship!

Robyn- hate to be down!

Setting sail for the first time 5/19/05

we took our first cruise on her as well. You will have a great time, we are now platinum and as far as I'm concerned the only people who don't have a good time set out that way. The food isn't gourmet but its as good or better then what 99% of us get to eat each day. The pool is great, the room is fine, and the entertainment is always good.

The ship is small compared to the others, but the only small part you really notice is the size of the rooms compared to others that you may be used to. As this is your first cruise, you will not notice the difference and will have a great time.:)

Well, my husband and I just got off the Empress April 8 after being on her for 11 days and I have to say it was great. This was also our 12th cruise on Royal Caribbean and we've been on the mega-ships, and love them, as well as the radiance class and all the others. At first I was a little unsure as it's the smallest in the fleet, but not to worry. It's in great shape; there was plenty to do; and the food was very, very good - some of the best we've had. The crew was friendly and helpful; there was a variety of entertainment; and we had lots of fun with our tablemates!! I think if you decide you're going to have a great time, you will have a great time!

Oh, I forgot. The cabins are small. We usually have an interior so are used to them being small. This was really small, but you know, after a couple of days, we were used to it and it didn't bother us. We had such a wonderful time, we wouldn't hesitate to book again on the Empress.

Robyn....I don't know what reviews you have been reading, but most of the ones on here recently have been pretty positive. I've been on the Empress 4 times and just got back from the 11 nighter a few weeks ago. It is a wonderful ship and that itinerary is the best! Here is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=155962&highlight=Empress

Don't worry about a thing. Go and have a great time!

Thank you everyone!!!! :)

You're all making me feel much MUCH better!!!

As far as the reviews- they were not on here!! Thats why I'm glad I found this site!!

Key West and Cozmel HERE I COME!!!!!! :D

Hi Robin - I have been on numerous cruises and CAN NOT wait to be back on the Empress..my husband & I will be traveling the same cruise and would love to "meet & Mingle" for a drink or two with you & your aunt. As some have said previously it is one of the smaller ships in the RCI fleet but that just makes it easier to navigate around and enjoy more of the atmosphere without worrying "how am I ever going to get to the other end of the ship in time for the show"...well you might be doing that but more from the relaxing or fun time your having not due to the multiple football lengths you would have to travel on a bigger ship. Next trip you can try a bigger ship on for size but that trip will be just as unique as this trip will be and not really due to the size of the deck area but all the great people and sights you will be seeing.

Each ship/cruise has it's own charm & personality and the enjoyment is there to be had, remembering that there can be small things which some people let ruin their trips but the best thing about cruising (or vacations in general) is that, as you said, it is time for you...no phones, cooking,TV, rushing, etc. etc.

Bon Voyage and don't overpack - you are there to relax and have a wonderful time!:)

P.S. - though you didn't ask for any specific tips...normal cruise travel tips - valubles and hard to replace items (such as glasses or medication) in your carry-on with a change of clothing (& I always carry at least 1 swimsuit in my carryon - they are so annoying to shop for when on vacation). Your luggage will most likely arrive in your cabin many hours after you do, so you will probably want to change when you get on board...pack a couple of days before and then re-evaluate...I am slowly learning this after many years of cruising - I really don't need 12 pairs of shoes for a 5 day trip (only 5 or 6..lol)

Don't miss sail away it truely is a wonderful experience and read the daily list of activities for each day - you never know when something might strike your fancy.

Would love to "Meet & Mingle" with you!

I'm getting more and more excited now that I've found this website!

We haven't booked any excursions yet either! :eek: I better get on that!

I think mainly I'm just going to lounge on the beach! This trip was VERY last minute (we just booked on march 8th) so I haven't had time to save any $$$.

Thanks so much!

Feel free to e-mail or IM me on yahoo!

thefarrell4@hotmail.com

robyn10981 on yahoo!

Robyn

29 days and countin'!!!!

I also agree with a lot of the posters, My first cruise was on the Norwegian Majesty, which by today's standards is a small ship (42,000 GT). At the time, since I had nothing to compare it to, it was a HUGE ship!

Now if I were to go back on it today, it would seem very small!

I think you will have a great time. Don't worry about the lack of reviews, remember, people on here are more apt to report negative things, so lack of news is a good thing!

Scott

Robyn922...My first cruise was on the Nordic Empress in 2001 (Empress of the Seas now) and my husband and I had a great time. For your first cruise it's really a good ship to go on. Not too overwhelming. The food and entertainment are pretty standard on all the ships so just stop worrying and get excited. I too have two children (2 and 8) and every once in a while you have to get away and find yourself again. We are going on Voyager of the Seas in September and as much as I'm going to miss the kids but they will be hanging out with Grandma and I know they will have a great time. Oh and you will love Key West. I went to the Florida Keys on my honeymoon and Key West is so nice. Lots of nightlife and great food. Try to hit Sloppy Joes and Margaritaville on Duval Street. Also there was a great restaurant called Crabby Bill's that was great too.

I have been on 14 cruises...3 of them on Nordic Empress. My husband and I just came off of Explorer and it was beautiful but very big. We booked another trip on the Empress for this August. This is really a great ship. And what's nice about it's size is that you can really get to know the staff and it's great when you go back again and again and see your friends. I think I am more excited about my next cruise than any in a long time...not to mention, Key West and Cozumel are two of my favorite places. So...if you need any tips on things to do, please let me know.

Robyn and Doreen,

I am on the Empress leaving on May 14th through the 19th so I will wave as I am getting off the ship. I have read all of the things you have. This is my second cruise and the first was the Voyager. I know it will be small but it doesn't matter because I won't have to cook, clean and it is far away from work and home. Looking forward to it!

Archived