Port or Starboard for Alaksa

A&G

We can't decide which side of ship for our balcony cabin on Inside Passage cruise out of Vancouver and return to LA. Which side would you choose, Port or Starboard?

Alan

We can't decide which side of ship for our balcony cabin on Inside Passage cruise out of Vancouver and return to LA. Which side would you choose, Port or Starboard?

Alan

Hi Alan!

The basic rule of thumb for one way cruises (between Vancouver and Seward or Whittier) would be for starboard on the northbound route and port on the southbound. If your route is Vancouver/Inside Passage/Coastal to LA, I think port will be the best. You will be out of the cabin so much, it might prove to be a moot point anyway.

Have a great cruise!

A&G

If the cruise does Alaska I would opt for starboard. My reasoning would be probably closer to land on the journey north to Alaska and more to see, the trip back to LA probably more in open waters and not much to see.

but it might come down to what the Alaska portion of the itinerary is. If, for instance, it is something like Vancouver - Juneau - Skagway - Icy Strait Point -Ketchikan and then south to LA, it becomes almost a coin flip (with a slight edge to starboard). I just would suggest port for the longer southbound leg.

Mercury sails OUTside first to Juneau, then north to Skagway, to Hubbard Glacier and then south to Ketchikan and continues south through Inside Passage.

Which would YOU say the best side is?

Port. Again, you will be out of the cabin most of the time, so the side might become unimportant.

It should be a great cruise!

Thanks for replies it may come down to availabilty in the end as the ship appears to be filling fast. It is Summit sailing 16/9. We made our booking today and finally asked for port and one of the main reason is the sailaway from San Francisco as we will have the city on the port side as we slip out under the Golden Gate bridge......wow

thanks again

Alan

Thanks for replies it may come down to availabilty in the end as the ship appears to be filling fast. It is Summit sailing 16/9. We made our booking today and finally asked for port and one of the main reason is the sailaway from San Francisco as we will have the city on the port side as we slip out under the Golden Gate bridge......wow

thanks again

Alan

Having sailed out of SF, that indeed is a really special start to a cruise. Enjoy!

Well it did come down to availability and we have ended up with starboard. Looks like it is up on deck for us as we sail away from SF.....one of our favourite cities in the world (after Sydney of course).

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I will be on the Summit September 16th, 2005. We are booked for cabin 8149. Not really sure what that is considered regarding port or starboard. We did book a concierge class room, but I am not sure if this is worth the extra expense or not. You both appear to be experienced travelers. Do you have knowledge regarding this class of stateroom?

Hi,

We have only stayed in these cabins before they converted to a CC. But, we just came off a cruise (we had a coveted corner FV cabin) and one of our shipmates really loved all the extras that the CC provided her. You can go to the Celebrity website to see all that is included in your CC cabin, if you have not been there already. They are nice sized cabins, around 200 square feet, and quite comfortable. They have a small sofa in them, if I remember correctly. Lot's of storage and, unless you are using really large luggage bags (29" or better), you can put them right under your bed. I also thought that the shower was much larger and nicer than some I have had on other ships, in the same type cabin (the shower curtain is not always rubbing against you).As a rule on the "M" class all odd numbered cabins are considered port side. All even numbered are considered starboard. I know that there are both odd and even numbered cabins on the stern of the ship. The CC cabins on the aft have much larger balconies than the ones on the sides of the ship. Same price!!!

Archived