earliest flight time out of Vancouver

coltsgal1

Sailing Seward to Vancouver and was wondering what is the earliest flight time out of Vancouver we should consider to allow plenty of time to get to and thru the airport?

Most major Canadian airports have the US Immigration and Customs PRIOR to boarding a US bound flight, so unlike other airports, you need to take that into account. Normally I would want to be at YVR 2 hours prior to a US departure. The upside is you arrive in the US as if you were domestic arrival.

The only US bound flights out of YVR that don't do this are the asian flights that carry on to the US (CX to JFK, PR to LAS); and the late evening ones (after about 9pm). If YVR.CA says it's leaving from an E gate, it's from the pre-cleared transborder wing.

What time does your ship get into Vancouver? If you are in by seven or eight and are doing a walk off among the first off I would say you can be at the airport by nine or so. If you are not among the first off you could have a long wait for a cab. If you can manage all your own bags then take the Skytrain to the airport (cheap and fast). Figure on about a half hour travel time to the airport or a little more and you should be there at least two hours before the flight to clear security and U.S. customs/immigration.

If you can self-disembark with all your luggage then a flight just after 1130 is normally doable. If you can't self-disembark then I would focus on something that is 1230 or later. You need to be at YVR 2 full hours to clear US Customs and security and YVR is a full 35 mins from Canada Place whether you take a cab or take the Canada Line. I would be more guarded about this if you are in Vancouver in early to mid-May when there are a number of ships re-positioning through Vancouver and again toward the end of the Alaska cruise season.

I agree with 2+ hours. Also add a few extra minutes if you are docking at Ballentyne as opposed to Pan Pacific/Canada Place pier.

Vancouver is a fantastic city but it does not have a limited access route from the central city to the airport so traffic on city streets can be an issue.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I agree with 2+ hours. Also add a few extra minutes if you are docking at Ballentyne as opposed to Pan Pacific/Canada Place pier.

I would agree, the good news is that Ballantyne Pier is only being used a couple times this year at the beginning and end of the Alaska season as ships reposition through Vancouver. I just went back and checked, it is 5/19 when 4 ships arrive and Ballantyne is being used and the only time that Ballantyne is used is on 9/22 & 23 this year.

Archived