NCL Jade 01/12/2013 Holy Land Cruise Solo

Are you interested in booking private tours or ship tours?

You may think private tours are out for you, as a solo traveler, but not necessarily -- if you check your roll call, you may find others are looking for people to join them on private tours because a tour of 8 or so is more economical than a tour for 2.

If you are just wanting to know what people generally see from those ports: Haifa is the more northerly port in Israel and many people want to go to the Galilee area from there. Ashdod is the port closer to Jerusalem, which is definitely worth a full day tour on its own.

In Alexandria (on a first trip), most people opt to take a tour that will allow them to see the pyramids and Sphinx in Giza as well as a few other sites in Cairo such as the Cairo Museum. However, be aware that this is about a 3-hour drive there and 3 hours back.... Also, the museum in Cairo is located right on Tahrir Square, where most demonstrations take place, so depending on the situation you may not be able to see it. Tours can provide other alternatives.

Hope this helps. I did a cruise that visited these ports about 15 months ago as a solo and I had a great time, no fears.

Thanks for the tips. I've seen those private tour excursions before but haven't taken one in the past. I'll do more research on the ports and decide. I'm so use to having others plan the excursions that I am a bit lost with so much "power". LOL Glad your solo trip to the area of nice. That gives me more encouragement in finally doing a trip I want to do and not having to placate a group.

I'm going solo on a Western med cruise in October. It goes to Egypt. I started a roll call and several of us are doing small group tours, so definatley don't think you'll be on your own :) . I'll do a review when I get back in November.

Archived