Shallow Water Snorkeling

Terpnut

Can anyone suggest a snorkeling location that is suitable for family of mostly non-swimmers where the waters are relatively shallow and calm? We've snorkeled Stingray City, a nearby reef and around the pier/beach at Rum Point on a tour, and believe it or not, we had as much fun just snorkeling around the pier. Although the fish and scenery are obviously vastly superior at the first two locales, the stress and worry of having to keep an eye out on a child who can't swim (but can snorkel well) in deeper waters was very high.

So my question is: Are there some very shallow water locations that offer a few more fish, rays, etc. than the Rum Point Pier/beach? I'm looking for a location where you can stand if needed. Are there any points near the Rum Point reef where the water is less than 4 ft deep, for instance? How about the Rum Point Shore Drift route or Cemetery Beach? Thanks in advance!

I'll leave it to someone else to answer about shallow water, but, for your child [and maybe you, too!] have you considered an inflatable snorkel vest? Before I had my wetsuit, I really liked having the vest, as I'm not a strong swimmer, and it made me feel more secure. These vests are very easy to pack and tote around.

I'll leave it to someone else to answer about shallow water, but, for your child [and maybe you, too!] have you considered an inflatable snorkel vest? Before I had my wetsuit, I really liked having the vest, as I'm not a strong swimmer, and it made me feel more secure. These vests are very easy to pack and tote around.
We do swim with vests but just feel safer being in shallower waters.

The best shallow water snorkel spots in Cayman are at Rum Point or all the way out in East End around the dock at Morritt's Tortuga Club.
We've been to Rum Point before and it indeed was a perfect beginner snorkeler's place but we basically stayed in the couple feet of water nearest the pier so not many fish. Have you ever personally snorkeled the shallow water reef to the east of Rum Point? I've heard the snorkeling is very good out there, it's not too far out from shore, and the water is only 4-8 ft deep. If it's on the shallow end of that range, we might venture out that way! :)

how far is Rum Point from the cruise ship tender landing? Are there taxis available to get there...and how much would it cost?

Rum Point is around 45 minutes and about $80 US each way for a taxi from the port area, and you would have to prearrange the return trip as there would be no taxis waiting in the vicinity to take you back when you were done.

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are a rental car or an excursion that includes a stop there.

Rum Point is around 45 minutes and about $80 US each way for a taxi from the port area, and you would have to prearrange the return trip as there would be no taxis waiting in the vicinity to take you back when you were done.

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are a rental car or an excursion that includes a stop there.

Have you ever rented a car in Grand Cayman?

Archived