Phone calls to States from Jamaica?

Mustangcruiser56

Unfortunately I will have to participate in a conference call back to the States while my ship is in Falmouth Jamaica. :( I really dont like working on vacation and I know it will cost a bundle but I don't have a choice. My question is how to make the call? Can I make if from the ship or do I need to go ashore? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
I know this was posted a couple years ago but I am on a cruise next week and also have to make a conference call while in Ocho Rios. I was wondering if you figured anything out? would prefer a reliable landline...

Well, do NOT use the ship phones!! Ship to shore calls are extrememly expensive. Does your cell provider not carry through Jamaica? When we travel (we have At&T cell) we are able to use our cell phones by transfering our plan to an international cell plan for that month only, It's minimal cost and will save you a bundle on roaming charges. You may be able to find a hotel that would have a land line you can use, but you'd most likely have to pay charges for that as well.

Honestly, we use our phones all over the Caribbean and it never costs more than an extra $10 or so on our bill (in addition to the int'l plan switch). We also have gotten crystal clear reception.