Qld Coast v Sth Pacific? your thoughts

Have done two cruises both to Sth Pacific. Our plan was to do one up the Qld coast next, but there are some good deals going on the Pacific Sun to South Pacific so am un-decided.

Don't mind going on the Sun in fact in some ways we prefered it to the Dawn. If we go to Noumea, Lifou and Vila we would do some tours this time, what do you suggest, hubby is limited in how far he can walk, and steps are out. Same as for up the coast?

We love your thoughts, thanks Val.

Hi Val, we did the QLD coastal cruise in Oct 2010. We had a lovely time and glad we did it but I wouldn't do it again unless a REALLY good deal came up. The reason???? Australian tourism is VERY expensive and we found that we spent so much money in the ports on that cruise compared to the South Pacific.

Val

if you do the Qld ports cruise, when you get off at any of the ports you will meet - well, Australians - and see parts of -- well, Australian culture.

if you do the New Caledonia/Vanuatu cruise, you will see Vanuatuan and New Caledonian culture and people.

You don't really need to go on a cruise to experience the first of those :) Although you have been to the South Pacific before, was it only for a brief period.?

Barry

Val

if you do the Qld ports cruise, when you get off at any of the ports you will meet - well, Australians - and see parts of -- well, Australian culture.

if you do the New Caledonia/Vanuatu cruise, you will see Vanuatuan and New Caledonian culture and people.

You don't really need to go on a cruise to experience the first of those :) Although you have been to the South Pacific before, was it only for a brief period.?

Barry

Verry good point Barry:).

The last trip was the standard Noumes, Lifou Vila, but the first cruise included Pentecost, Wala and Lugenville. I have done a lot of travel in my younger years so going overseas is not the main purpose. I'm quite happy to see more of Australia.

I have done the coastal cruise on the Pacific Sun and the Pacific Islands on the Dawn. I enjoyed both for different reasons.

I had never been to Vanuatu so this was new and exciting for me. I lived in North Queensland all of my life until I moved away in my late 20's. I went on the coastal cruise so I could visit my family but I loved the whole cruise. It is a very lovely area to sail with some great views.

Most of the ports were docked and they used a stair gangplank due to the tidal flows in North Queensland. However, they also had a stair climber for anybody with issues with the stairs.

I would be happy with either of the cruises you are looking at so I guess you might need to draw up a list of pros and cons for both and see which one suits best for you.. Enjoy which ever one you pick.

We're looking at the Nth Qld cruises more and more, Maybe May 20th for Hubby;s birthday.

We originally booked on the Pacific Pearl cruise to Tasmania which returned today, but pulled out as we bought a caravan instead. Think we could have done the best thing with the weather the way it was.

Thanks for all your thoughts on the decision. Will let you know what happens.

Archived