Dining options on the Zuiderdam

metsfan47

We are booked on the Zuiderdam for an Alaska cruise in June.

We have chosen anytime dining (As You Wish?) since that is what we liked about cruising with NCL.

What are our dining options?

I understand that there is a main dining room with 2 formal nights.

Are there also specialty restaurants that have a cover charge? Do they have formal nights, too?

I guess there is a buffet, what is that like?

Thanks,

Fran

As you wish dining is in a different dining room than set times. It is just the same as the set time, but you go anytime you want. They will ask you what size table you want and will pair you up with people coming in for dinner at the same time. I really enjoy this flexability and meeting new people. They have the same menu and formal nights. There are two other speciality restruants on the ships we have been on. One is the Pinicle Grill, which is steak and seafood and there is an extra charge for it.

The "as you wish" dining is in the lower diningroom and the set time seating is in the upper. Same food, same dress code. We had done this type of dining on Princess and didn't care for it due to long waits and poor service. However, HAL does it right. We've never waiting more that just a few minutes even during prime dining time. The service was always up to the HAL standard. We really enjoyed meeting new people every night. The main diningroom also has open seating for breakfast and lunch.

I have always enjoyed the MDR food. If you have a chance to try the soups, I have always found them to be great.

The Pinnacle Grill is excellent IMO. There is an additional charge, but well worth it. Sometimes the Pinnacle is open at lunch and it's a small charge. If you are in a Deluxe Suite or Penthouse, you can also eat breakfast in the Pinnacle. Same menu, but very quiet and elegant.

The Lido buffet is well laid out. During peak times there are lines, but they move quickly. There's also a pizza bar and burger hotdog area out by the Lido pool. Once in awhile there will be a small buffet station out by the Lido pool in the middle of the afternoon for tacos or other munchies.

I have never eaten in Canelleto, but I hear it's good.

Also, there is room service. We like to have breakfast delivered in a picturesque port and enjoy the view from our verandah as we eat. The food is always delivered on time and hot.

You asked this same question earlier today. The replies on it are still valid. Link

To correct some misinformation in the replies here: Those on the upper level of the MDR are also part of As You Wish Dining. They just selected the traditional, fixed seating part of it.

Archived