Venice Hotel

jetsetgal22

We are a group of 6 and we will be staying 2 nights in Venice post-cruise RCL.

I have been researching on hotels and we have kinda narrowed down our options. Our budget is under $200/night. My questions are:

Do we need to stay near the cruise port for convenience of our luggage? And then just walk to the major attractions like San Marcos etc.

How much would transportation cost from the port to the hotel near Rialto Bridge?

Please help. I would like to hear some suggestions or experiences in this matter.

Thanks a bunch.

We are a group of 6 and we will be staying 2 nights in Venice post-cruise RCL.

I have been researching on hotels and we have kinda narrowed down our options. Our budget is under $200/night. My questions are:

Do we need to stay near the cruise port for convenience of our luggage? And then just walk to the major attractions like San Marcos etc.

How much would transportation cost from the port to the hotel near Rialto Bridge?

Please help. I would like to hear some suggestions or experiences in this matter.

Thanks a bunch.

Hi, We are 4 women, sisters and Mom getting off a cruise in Venice. We are staying at B&B Rialto,( http://www.bbrialto.com/HomePage.aspx) where I have stayed before, it is very close to the Rialto bridge and next to the Fish Market (with the red awnings) There is 2 rooms on the main floor and a suite above. It is absolutely perfect for 6 people, you share the kitchen and an eating area with Bistro tables and with a little terrace looking over the Grand Canal. I loved it so much we are going again. It is VERY affordable for such a fantastic location and for basically having a whole apartment to yourselves if there are 6 of you.

We got a quote for a water taxi from the ship to the B&B and it was 90 E or 80Euro if you book and perpay online. When we leave the B&B to head to the airport, we need to leave at 7 am, so a water taxi is 120 Euro or prebooked and prepaid is 100Euro. If you can divide it between you, if it's couples and not one whole family, it can be very affordable.

If you dont' take a water taxi, you have to leave the ship, walk to the people mover, take the people mover, get off and walk to the main vaparetto station, where all the busses and cars end, then buy a vaparetto ticket or pass and take the vaparetto with you luggage to the stop closest to your hotel. It can be alot of schlepping. I've done it with just my DH and myself but with 4 women sharing the costs, this time it's a water taxi all the way. Hope this helps.

We stayed at Hotel Abbazia and it was incredible. It gets excellent reviews on the Trip Advisor and it is close the cruise port AND you can walk everywhere. Google it... it's really really excellent. And I think it falls within your budget.

Hi, We are 4 women, sisters and Mom getting off a cruise in Venice. We are staying at B&B Rialto,( http://www.bbrialto.com/HomePage.aspx) where I have stayed before, it is very close to the Rialto bridge and next to the Fish Market (with the red awnings) There is 2 rooms on the main floor and a suite above. It is absolutely perfect for 6 people, you share the kitchen and an eating area with Bistro tables and with a little terrace looking over the Grand Canal. I loved it so much we are going again. It is VERY affordable for such a fantastic location and for basically having a whole apartment to yourselves if there are 6 of you.

We got a quote for a water taxi from the ship to the B&B and it was 90 E or 80Euro if you book and perpay online. When we leave the B&B to head to the airport, we need to leave at 7 am, so a water taxi is 120 Euro or prebooked and prepaid is 100Euro. If you can divide it between you, if it's couples and not one whole family, it can be very affordable.

If you dont' take a water taxi, you have to leave the ship, walk to the people mover, take the people mover, get off and walk to the main vaparetto station, where all the busses and cars end, then buy a vaparetto ticket or pass and take the vaparetto with you luggage to the stop closest to your hotel. It can be alot of schlepping. I've done it with just my DH and myself but with 4 women sharing the costs, this time it's a water taxi all the way. Hope this helps.

Thank you Tara, this was very informative. I contacted the hotel you recommended, unfortunately they do not have 3 rooms available for us for the nights we are there.

Also you mentioned getting a quote for the water taxi...did you booked it through a website or are the taxis there waiting for cruise passengers?

If you can't manage your luggage at all, there are a couple of hotels in Piazzale Roma which require NO bridge crossings. You could take a cab from the pier to Ca'Doge or Santa Chiara.

If you can manage a bridge or 2, there are many options available to you around the Piazzale Roma area or across the long bridge to the train station. (my 80yr old mother managed the long bridge so it's not impossible but she only had 1 wheeled case)

Either area is only a block or so from the Grand Canal so you can easily hop on the vaporetto for a trip to St Marks or Rialto etc to explore. Look into a pass if you're there for 2 days. Both areas also offer easy access to the airport express bus.

Piazale Roma hotels:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Train Station hotels:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-railroad-station-hotels.htm

Another option if you can't manage your luggage at all. Check it at Left Luggage at Piazzale Roma and just take an overnight bag to your hotel.

That link also has info on water taxis, including a site to make on line reservations.

We have stayed in Hotel Olimpia - very sweet hotel - breakfast is usually included and they beautiful garden with tables out back - 5 mins taxi from cruise terminal and 1 minute walk from Piazzale Roma and one small bridge crossing. We are there this June and it is costing us $260 cdn per night ($290E).

cheers

Thank you Tara, this was very informative. I contacted the hotel you recommended, unfortunately they do not have 3 rooms available for us for the nights we are there.

Also you mentioned getting a quote for the water taxi...did you booked it through a website or are the taxis there waiting for cruise passengers?

Yes, you can pre book through

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/

They are mentioned on here lots. If you prebook and prepay, it's a little cheaper. They have an area where the ships are that they have taxi's. It can be a little bit of a walk if your ship is docked the furthest away, but still closer than getting to the people mover and so on.

Good luck

Tara (aka Doodlefan) - hello from Calgary - had to post because of your "handle" - we adopted a 7month old australian labradodle in Sept. and love him so much - what a wonderful thing these amazing doodles are! Assuming you have one too?

cheers

April and Rob

Tara (aka Doodlefan) - hello from Calgary - had to post because of your "handle" - we adopted a 7month old australian labradodle in Sept. and love him so much - what a wonderful thing these amazing doodles are! Assuming you have one too?

cheers

April and Rob

Yes, I have a doodle too!! But mine is a goldendoodle. He is a cross between a golden retreiver Mom and a 100 lb Royal poodle Dad. He's really really tall. lol He's almost 10 years old now and when I got him 10 years ago, he was just called a goldie poo. They hadn't become very popular yet, neither had labradoodles. But they are fantastic dogs. Our guy is so smart and such a good boy. We have 5 kids and they were young when we got him and he was sooo good with them. Congrats on your new addition. Enjoy him :D

We love the Hotel Bartolomeo right near the Rialto Bridge..clean, breakfast included and in your price range..actually a little lower. Tricky to find the first time! We took the bus from the airport to Piazza where the vaporettos start then Vap. to Rialto and then walked and did the same for returning. There was a port shuttle way at the back left hand corner of the Piazza.

Another option close to the Piazza is the Albergo Marin..inexpensive and handy to the port. Walk over 2 small bridges and you are there. Again, the ****tle is way in the back.

Sherry

Archived