Skagway - WP&Y RR with Dyea Dave or Chilkoot Charters?

CMcG

Is there much difference between vendors if we wish to do short train/bus trip? I don't much care if it is bus or train first but only want to go as far as Fraser - looks like would be less than 4 hours. Don't want to do one of the longers trips as we want to do some hiking and perhaps visit Jewell Gardens as well. We'll be there in late May - is there any advantage to morning or afternoon?

Appreciate any and all information & advice - just when I think I have it figured out I come up with more questions!

Cheryl

Is there much difference between vendors if we wish to do short train/bus trip? I don't much care if it is bus or train first but only want to go as far as Fraser - looks like would be less than 4 hours. Don't want to do one of the longers trips as we want to do some hiking and perhaps visit Jewell Gardens as well. We'll be there in late May - is there any advantage to morning or afternoon?

Appreciate any and all information & advice - just when I think I have it figured out I come up with more questions!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl: We are doing the 7.5 hr trip with Chilkoot to Fraser and Carcross. Lots of time in port for other things as we return by 4:30 pm. As it is so early in the season I was not sure about Jewell Gardens so decided against that trip. Check with Chilkoot to see what is offered that day. I know that the longer Bennett Lake trip is not. My great-uncle-to-be prospected in the Yukon in 1898 so going beyond Fraser is important for me.

Hi Cheryl: We are doing the 7.5 hr trip with Chilkoot to Fraser and Carcross. Lots of time in port for other things as we return by 4:30 pm. As it is so early in the season I was not sure about Jewell Gardens so decided against that trip. Check with Chilkoot to see what is offered that day. I know that the longer Bennett Lake trip is not. My great-uncle-to-be prospected in the Yukon in 1898 so going beyond Fraser is important for me.

We want to hike to Lower Reid Falls near the Gold Rush Cemetery and also to Yakutania Point so didn't want to devote that much time to the train. We were thinking of popping in to Jewell Gardens independent of an excursion - admission is only $12 each and you can still see the glassblower if they are working, just not a full blown demonstration. May also want to hike around Lower Dewey Lake.

I've already been in contact with Chilkoot - just wondering about difference with Dyea Dave.

I've read rave reviews about both Dyea Dave and Chilkoot. We chose Chilkoot kind of arbitrarily. We are doing the 3 1/2 hour trip. We want some time in town to do some other things, too.

I have read alot of advice about taking the train in the afternoon - because if it's foggy or overcast in the morning, that has a better chance of burning off by afternoon = easier viewing.

With whomever you choose, it's a phenomenal trip. Enjoy!

Archived