Southampton self carry and car hire

We will be cruising round trip from Southampton in July and on our return we have a 3:00 PM flight fron heathrow. I was able to rent (hire) a car from Alamo/Europcar for a reasonble rate, including a drop charge, to get to Heathrow. This way we will be able to make a stop at Stonehenge and still make the flight.

2 questions for folks who have cruised from Southampton:

1. Is there self carry off in Southampton?

2. We are arriving at the QE2 dock and the car rental office is closer to City dock. Is there a shuttle operated by either the port or Europcar/National/Alamo (all the same co.)?

We will be cruising round trip from Southampton in July and on our return we have a 3:00 PM flight fron heathrow. I was able to rent (hire) a car from Alamo/Europcar for a reasonble rate, including a drop charge, to get to Heathrow. This way we will be able to make a stop at Stonehenge and still make the flight.

2 questions for folks who have cruised from Southampton:

1. Is there self carry off in Southampton?

2. We are arriving at the QE2 dock and the car rental office is closer to City dock. Is there a shuttle operated by either the port or Europcar/National/Alamo (all the same co.)?

Yes, you can disembark unassisted, normally from about 07.00.

Europcar, National & Alamo share the same site/building. Hertz is a couple of doors away.

I don't know about delivery to the pier or a shuttle, but there will be plenty of taxis at the pier, certainly for the early part of disembarkation, & the depots are just 5 mins / about £5 to £7 taxi fare from QE11 Terminal.

Europcar seem to offer 24hr service subject to an extra charge but they & Alamo & Hertz don't open their offices until 08.00 (National's hours not quoted, but guessing it's the same).

Two ways to Stonehenge, the short & direct A36 route via Salisbury or the M3/A34/A303 loop, journey time about the same. On weekdays both are likely to give you grief about 07.00 - 09.00, the A36 at Salisbury or the M3 from Southampton to Winchester :(

IMHO, on balance, but it's your risk & not mine, the A36 Salisbury road will avoid the biggest potential delay but zoom in & print the little rat-run I've marked in Salisbury.

You approach Salisbury downhill down a divided highway, at the bottom of the hill & less than a mile after it reverts to single carriageway you arrive at traffic lights. If the tailback is to here, turn right at the traffic lights & follow my rat-run. If you can't see the back of the line of traffic as you approach the lights, stick to the main road because the delay will be less than ten minutes.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=W+Quay+Rd&daddr=51.06741,-1.77793+to:51.0751433,-1.7883877+to:51.16409,-1.77591+to:Stonehenge&hl=en&ll=51.061249,-1.573792&spn=0.379764,0.821228&sll=50.903168,-1.412044&sspn=0.011908,0.025663&geocode=FSCxCAMdrHPq_w%3BFRI6CwMd9t7k_ymnYSVyDuxzSDHA6dStLa4OEw%3BFUdYCwMdHbbk_ynBKfzp-OtzSDGSeqwQUFo5pg%3BFbqzDAMd2ubk_ymTbkM0We9zSDGgENOtLa4OEw%3BFVjtDAMdVCLk_yH1quOuqyTSsw&oq=West++Southampton&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=10

Stonehenge to Heathrow will be a dream, divided highway then motorway virtually every yard of the way :) 1hr 20 or less.

One hour at Stonehenge is plenty for most folk, & you need to leave by 11.00 to allow time to return the car & get to your terminal. Even if flight check-in closes later, you ought to give yourself 90 mins between check-in & aircraft.

JB :)

Archived