Cruisers Driving South: I-75 Blocked in TN until March 23rd

C 2 C

We're planning to drive south on I-75 from Detroit to our cruise but this notice might be helpful to cruisers with the same plans:

INTERSTATE 75 SOUTHBOUND IN CAMPBELL COUNTY - INCIDENT AT EXIT 160: US-25W / JELLICO REPORTED AT 2:00 PM 3/9/2012 AND ESTIMATED TO BE CLEARED BY 5:00 PM 03/23/2012 (EASTERN TIME ZONE). SOUTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS AFFECTED WITH ALL LANES BLOCKED. SOUTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS BEING DIVERTED TO ALTERNATE ROUTES. SOUTHBOUND MOTORIST ENTERING INTO TENNESSEE WILL BE FORCED TO EXIT AT MILE MARK 160 (JELLICO) AND FOLLOW US 25 W SOUTH TO LAFOLLETTE AND BACK ONTO I-75 AT MILE MARKER 134. ANY WIDE LOADS EXITING AT MILE MARKER 160 MUST TURN RIGHT AND FOLLOW STATE ROUTE 297 TO STATE ROUTE 63 BACK TO I-75.

Started: Mar 9, 2012 2:00pm

Expected to end: Mar 23, 2012 5:00pm

But first you have to get through Cincinnati. We live here and I-75 is always a parking lot even though there is no construction. Thanks for the heads up. Why do they do these things during high traffic season - like spring break going south? Amazing!

But first you have to get through Cincinnati. We live here and I-75 is always a parking lot even though there is no construction. Thanks for the heads up. Why do they do these things during high traffic season - like spring break going south? Amazing!
For the same reason that the people in charge of Florida road construction start in Nov thru April at the peak of tourist season.:confused:

For the same reason that the people in charge of Florida road construction start in Nov thru April at the peak of tourist season.:confused:

Unfortunately, in Florida, this is the best time of year for road construction. No hurricanes/tropical storms, lack of rainfall, and lower temperatures. Optimal conditions for road construction.

Same situation in reverse in the north. When it's summer, and the weather is good and the tourists are out in force, there is always road construction somewhere. :(

THANKS for posting! Have shared with our good friends departing tomorrow morning on their way south to the Keys to attend a wedding in Florida. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,427 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

THANKS for posting! Have shared with our good friends departing tomorrow morning on their way south to the Keys to attend a wedding in Florida. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We're planning to cross over in Toledo to Columbus and onto I-77 eventually.

Any hints on roads to avoid or to choose will be appreciated. We're heading out tomorrow for Florida as well.

We're planning to cross over in Toledo to Columbus and onto I-77 eventually. Any hints on roads to avoid or to choose will be appreciated. We're heading out tomorrow for Florida as well.

Say "HI!!" as you are driving down I-71 at exit 115 for Cooke Road near where we live in Columbus. To save time from Columbus to I-77 on your way south, here's a secret tip we use all of the time. We do this routing so much in going south to Charleston, WVa on our way to Charlottesville, Va. to visit our first grandchild, etc., there in that historic and scenic university town.

I-77 SHORT CUT:

After downtown Columbus as you are headed east on I-70, take in just a few miles US Route 33 going SE to Lancaster and Athens (home of Ohio University). That US 33 will take you to near Pomeroy and the Ohio River, then follow 33 east in going to the Ravenswood bridge crossing that big, scenic river. Then follow 33 to I-77 and go south. That saves about an hour compared to going to Cambridge to catch I-77. This short cut has generally very good road conditions and not too much traffic.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,427 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I-77 SHORT CUT:

After downtown Columbus as you are headed east on I-70, take in just a few miles US Route 33 going SE to Lancaster and Athens (home of Ohio University). That US 33 will take you to near Pomeroy and the Ohio River, then follow 33 east in going to the Ravenswood bridge crossing that big, scenic river. Then follow 33 to I-77 and go south. That saves about an hour compared to going to Cambridge to catch I-77. This short cut has generally very good road conditions and not too much traffic.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks. I plotted on my Streets & Trips.

Archived