40 lbs by Sept 2005

npmadsen

I have been trying the 3 hour diet. I am having trouble eating that often...but I plan on trying harder. I think the pedometer is a good idea and I think I will start that. I have a hard time losing weight due to having my thyroid nuked due to Graves Disease. I have to take a synthetic thyroid hormone to compensate for no thyroid. I think this makes it hard to lose weight. Any opinions on this........

Any chance a guy can join this group? Not cruising in the foreseeable future but we plan to again sometime in the next three years. So wwhy not start early losoing the weight, gives me more time for extra failures.:mad: 40 pounds by September/October is just a start to what I really want to lose. Weigh in around 300 big ones, would love to level off at around 210 small ones.

We cruised in November of 05

decided to be frequent cruisers no matter

how infrequently we get to go!

I have tried the low carb thing and usually lose 5-7 lb in 3 days but, boy do I get cranky, and I give up and over do it.

I am actually doing the program at the Y and I feel stronger but, not toner. My trainer is having me do few reps to build strength and I'm not sure when to switch over to more reps. My husband tells me the weights will only make the muscle push the fat out and make me bigger.

Indiana Cruiser guys are more than welcome!

Smfly, don't listen to your husband. You definitely need to gain more muscle as this helps increase your metabolism! I don't think low carb is a very good option either as most people eventually return to eating them again. Think new way of eating, not dieting. It MUST be lifetime change or you will yo-yo. (I really wish I could pay attention to all the advice I give, lol.)

Any how we rented movies so must go before MY husband comes in and see's me chatting again.

Jill:)

Well, only down 1 lb this week but at least its something. I really thought I'd go down more. I've been walking and doing tons of gardening. My property is loaded with clay so its quite a workout digging up new gardens! :) Yeah! A workout I actually enjoy!

Oh well, maybe I'm gaining muscle and the weight will drop later. I hope so! At this rate I definately won't be reaching the goal of 40 for September! :eek:

Kywoman- I think that exercise, especially some strength training would work for you. It can give your metabolism a boost even with no thyroid.

Indiana- Welcome Hoosier! I'm from Indiana too.

Tami - Down 5.5 this week! :eek:

Down 4 1/2 pounds this week - very happy. didn't have time to get to Curves, I have a campground and today is opening day, so I've been busy getting ready. My goal now is to see how long I can go without eating any of the junk food I sell in my store. I am surrounded by candy and ice cream! Haven't touched any yet, I will try to stick to that. Nibbling on anything in reach is my biggest downfall. That's why this eating 6 times a day sounds good to me. I just have to run into the house and grab something appropriate, not a candy bar! So far, so good.....

Kathy

Where is your campground in NH? We camp every year in Center Ossipee and have gone a lot of other places in NH. Being from MA, NH is our favorite place to go in the summer. I would be in big trouble with all those goodies. I am having a REALLY hard time with chocolate this week. I came home today and ate a bunch of chocolate chip cookies. I just can't seem to get a handle on it. Anyone got any suggestions? I need to get a copy of that new Weight watchers diet I think, but at this point, I can't spend one extra penny since my DH is working mad overtime to help pay for this cruise!

Okay I weighed today too but didn't go down any. Didn't gain any either but then again I just weighed monday. I'm also lifting more weights, doing more exercise etc and my clothes do feel better so maybe it's muscle weight??? Right???

Congratulations and waay to go to all those who lost!

Jill:( :)

Super 89,

I have found that when I am addicted to the "bad" for me foods, I am not in control at all! Those foods are!! I can not get a handle on it!! The new Core Weight Watcher program does away with the food addictions and then once again I am in control! I really love it. My average weight loss is 2 lbs. a week, within the healthy range and I am not suffering at all. I eat all I want of all the "free" foods, then you get 35 points a week of "other" foods. I do not feel like I am dieting and I guess in reality I'm not, because I'm not cutting back, just making different choices of what I am eating.

Here is basically the program:

All you want to eat: lean meats, poultry, fish, beef, etc. (ground beef must be only 7% fat); eggs; vegetables, all (even corn or corn on the cob, beans), (pototoes only once a day); fruits, all (if canned, only in it's own juice); oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, corn meal; whole grain cold cereal (like Shredded Wheat, etc.) only once a day; fat free milk, yogurt, hard cheese, Kraft slices (only the fat free Swiss cheese ones). Diet sodas, Splenda, etc. Oh, and microwave popcorn (the lower fat ones). I can't think of what else.

I use the 35 points for things like bread, candy, dessert or maybe sometimes french fries. I don't know if you have ever joined Weight Watchers and have the points of food. Some of my favorites are Pepperidge Farms Seven Grain dinner rolls (1 point), Tootsie Roll pop (1 point), Life Saver Creme Hard Candies (3 for 1 point), they have chocolate flavor!

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer. I joined online where they have the program, wonderful recipes, all the points of foods, a weight tracker, etc.

Barbara :D

welcome casmichelle!

I've got a busy day today. Finally convinced my 17yr old, packrat, daughter to get rid of her old clothes and junk in her room. We can no see in her closet and she has empty drawers! Now we are going shopping for some new clothes!

I challenge everyone to drink at least 8 glasses of water today!

happy new eating style, Jill

I am really bad on the weekends about my water. I am a school bus driver & it gets SO hot on there I don't have a problem drinking water on the bus, but on the weekends is another story!

Sounds like we have the same agenda this weekend. I am about to go into the daughter's room & have a major clean up!

Barbara, thanks for the update on the WW progam. I was a member years ago & it was a point system. Good luck on it!

Kathy, good luck with opening day. Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you stay so busy you don't have time to think about all the candy & ice cream! Think healthy!

casmichele ~ glad you are here!

How's our guy doing?

Thanks so much Barbara for that list. It sounds easier as I guess all you have to count are the 35 points. I do have the point list somewhere, I will have to dust it off. I am going to print out your list and I am sure I will have some questions (lots probably!):) I have been doing pretty good today so far so hopefull I will keep it up. Thanks again! Susan

OOps! I have a question already! Does the free list include stuff like sugar free jello and/or pudding made with lowfat milk. I dont think the Jello has more than 10 calories so I think that is ok, just not sure about the pudding. Thanks. Susan

Where is your campground in NH? We camp every year in Center Ossipee and have gone a lot of other places in NH. Being from MA, NH is our favorite place to go in the summer.

We are over in the Sunapee area - really pretty area that lots of people don't get to. I have 120 sites, very family oriented place. It's fun - better than working for a living! We've been here 9 years and still love it.

I'm having trouble getting all the water down as well. Any suggestions? I just forget to drink. I always have a bottle around, just don't drink enuff. :(

snow camper:

I sometimes add lemon or lime juice to the water it gives it just that extra little zing. I also don't really like the taste of our city water so it also covers up that taste. Just before I exercise I try to "down" a bottle of water, I also do this right after my shower again. This at least gets two bottles out of the way! Honestly though, after I have been drinking the water for a week or two I actually miss it when I don't drink it.

I went to the gym again today and still didn't go down anymore weight...bummer.

Jill

Okay, it's Monday morning - did we decide on a weigh-in? Anyway, I am down 4 lbs this week:

Dec 2004 all-time high: 232 Goal: 150 (5'8")

New Start 5/7/05: 220.5

Today: 214

This week: 4

Since 5/7: 6.5

Total: 18

Thanks to all for the great support - I really feel like I am on the right path this time. This is the most positive approach to new eating habits that I have had in years! You all are super supporters!

Kathy

Barbara- I'm up north between Indy and Kokomo.

Ugh! It was a long weekend. We began moving stuff out of Grandma's house on Friday mostly in the pouring rain. We're not anywhere done as we still have some time and I'm trying not to be inundated with stuff. Every little thing has to be looked through because she has important stuff stashed everywhere. Yesterday I found $30 worth of change just stuffed in various envelopes and coin purses, in a box, in a drawer. :confused: All her financial notes for the past year are on sticky notes and other scraps of paper. Nothing can be tossed without looking it over.

Well, I'm off to go show a baby goat at my SIL's school then to the dentist thisafternoon. Yuck!

Tami

In response to some questions:

I am from West Lafayette, IN. The guy doesn't have access to internet at home so only check when slow at work.

Weekend was ok but not great probably in the weight department. Otherwise weekend was great.

When do we weigh in and report any set day of the week?

All time high was 325 lbs in July of 2003. Started walking before anything else in the morning and lost about 35 lbs. Have put 10 back on since January 2004. Plan to start walking again tomorrow, Tuesday 5-17-05. There it is in writing and being a man of my word better set the alarm a little earlier.

Hope we all have a Great Week.

dan

Anyone want to join me?

I am cruising Sept 10th and would like to be about 40lbs thinner by then.

Eileen

I need to join this group..... I need to loose 40 pounds in order to go on another cruise... Myhusband and I have a bet. If I can loose between 35 - 40 pounds in four months, I can book back to back eastern / western cruises.....

I really want to do this. I have never dieted in my life and do not know where to begin !!!

I am a little shy and kind of afraid of weight watchers... I have this vision of going there and everybody is very thin....LOL

Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated...

Lisa

MC's Mom: WW groups are a great support and they are not full of thin people - just people who wish to be thinner and healthier! I have been struggling with the weight thing for several years. I am most successful with WW. It is better if you can find a 'buddy' to go to the meetings with. I was going on my own and had stopped staying for the meetings - big mistake! They are starting a WW @ work this week so I am switching to that one. I need to drop close to 60 lbs but will be very happy if I can ditch 1/2 of that by our cruise in Sept. These boards and the WW online boards are very supportive. The more support, the more successful we'll all be.

Debbie

Please let me in on this! I need to have at least 40 off by 9/25 cruise! I actually started Mothers Day and have shed about 8 lbs but I'm sure that was all water weight! My worst problem is sitting by the pool with a glass (or two, three) :rolleyes: after hubby gets home from work! But I can do this....its our 25th wedding anniv. gift to us!:p

MC's Mom: WW groups are a great support and they are not full of thin people - just people who wish to be thinner and healthier! I have been struggling with the weight thing for several years. I am most successful with WW. It is better if you can find a 'buddy' to go to the meetings with. I was going on my own and had stopped staying for the meetings - big mistake! They are starting a WW @ work this week so I am switching to that one. I need to drop close to 60 lbs but will be very happy if I can ditch 1/2 of that by our cruise in Sept. These boards and the WW online boards are very supportive. The more support, the more successful we'll all be.

Debbie

Debbie

Thanks for the support, I will consider WW. :)

I will be on this board faithfully until I loose at least 20..

I started yesterday with the thought of reducing my portions and drinking more water. I don't over indulge.. I am not a chip, ice cream sweets person.. I just can't go a day without my strawberries and dip... LOL

the journey begins...

good Luck 1

Lisa

Archived