Closer to swim with turtles - Carlisle or Payne's

cojuqui

We are wanting to head to a beach and snorkel with the turtles. Which beach is it closer to swim out to where they typically are, Carlisle Beach or Payne's Bay. We are good swimmers but still would like the closer swim.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=cojuqui&date=6-10-2012&text=Countin

PAST CRUISES:

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Would also love to find out which offers a closer swim from the shore to reach the turtles. Would prefer going to Carlisle since we'll only have a short time to do this after a morning tour, but sounds like Carlisle isn't a sure bet in finding turtles (vs. Paynes beach.) Can anyone confirm whether turtles are likely to be at Carlisle and if it's a short swim out to where they are? Thanks!

As with all things Mother Nature - there are no guarantees. Sometimes you just don't see turtles. The last time I was at Payne's, the water was a little choppy and you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you under the water. The only time I saw a turtle was when it swam right underneath me and brushed up against my feet.

An hour prior to that I was at Carlisle and the water was calm and the visibility was great. No problem seeing turtles there.

Typically, the swim out to the turtles is a a bit closer to shore at Carlisle.

Cheers, P:)

Would you please describe where to swim out at both Payne and Carlise to find the turtles? I also found a map on the internet showing the 6 sunken ships, but were are they in the bay - i.e. are they straight out from some land mark on the beach (ships) , marked by a buoy? and where do the turtles tend to congregate (i.e. where is the sea grass in the bay)? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Would you please describe where to swim out at both Payne and Carlise to find the turtles? I also found a map on the internet showing the 6 sunken ships, but were are they in the bay - i.e. are they straight out from some land mark on the beach (ships) , marked by a buoy? and where do the turtles tend to congregate (i.e. where is the sea grass in the bay)? Thanks

I'm also interested in this info... Thanks!

I'm also interested in this info... Thanks!

At Paynes beach, Just swim out where the tour boats are, and see them. Probably 200 feet from shore. At Carlisle, cant help there, stayed in the bar at harbor lights and drank.

At both places, it's easiest to just look for the tour boats and swim out to them.

Not sure about the EXACT locations of the wrecks at Carlisle. Again, look for the tour boats or ask a local on the beach. I'm pretty sure that 2 of them are straight out from Harbour Lights, about 100-200 yards from shore. It's a very easy swim - the water there is generally very calm.

You might even see dive boats out there with flags or markers in the water.

Cheers, P:)

Have done both and I think the travel to Carlisle and then out to the turtles was much easier there than Payne. About 10a.m. is when the tour boats arrive and it is very easy to swim among them as they feed and draw the turtles to the surface. Great experience either beach you choose, but I think the beach itself is also better at Carlisle.

Archived