Verdmont

patter44

We would like to visit Verdmont Museum on our next trip to Bermuda this September. Has anyone been there recently?

We plan to take a morning ferry to Hamilton and then the #1 Bus and ask to be let off near Sayle Road. We would walk up Sayle Road to Verdmont Lane and then to the Museum.

After touring the museum we would take the #1 Bus back to Hamilton and then take the #7 Bus to Horseshoe Beach for a few hours.

My questions are

1. Is this the best way to get to Verdmont? (excluding taxi)

2. How long and how steep is the walk from South Road to the Museum?

3. Aprox. how long is the Verdmont tour?

4. What would be the timing for the bus to Hamilton and then to Horseshoe?

Thank you for any information you can give me on this. Verdmont sounds really interesting and look forward to seeing it.

We would like to visit Verdmont Museum on our next trip to Bermuda this September. Has anyone been there recently?

We plan to take a morning ferry to Hamilton and then the #1 Bus and ask to be let off near Sayle Road. We would walk up Sayle Road to Verdmont Lane and then to the Museum.

After touring the museum we would take the #1 Bus back to Hamilton and then take the #7 Bus to Horseshoe Beach for a few hours.

My questions are

1. Is this the best way to get to Verdmont? (excluding taxi)

3. Aprox. how long is the Verdmont tour?

Thank you for any information you can give me on this. Verdmont sounds really interesting and look forward to seeing it.

We were there two years ago. We had been there many years before, and this time we were with a friend who wanted to see it.

It's lovely up there on the hilltop, with a great view of the sea and refreshing breezes. Stand in the front doorway and the breeze will tell you why the house is situated where it is. I don't recall if there was a formal tour, or if we just walked through the house. There was a guide there to give us the history of the house and answer any questions. The guide who was there the day we visited was quite knowledgeable. I think we were there for about 45 minutes.

Check the bus map. There is a route (I think it's #1) that goes up the hill and lets you off near the driveway to the house. We did the walk up the hill years ago and it's steep. But we were younger then. This time, we were happy to discover a bus route that loops up that hill.

bus map:

http://www.taxibermuda.com/bermuda_bus_schedule-information.htm

We were there two years ago. We had been there many years before, and this time we were with a friend who wanted to see it.

It's lovely up there on the hilltop, with a great view of the sea and refreshing breezes. Stand in the front doorway and the breeze will tell you why the house is situated where it is. I don't recall if there was a formal tour, or if we just walked through the house. There was a guide there to give us the history of the house and answer any questions. The guide who was there the day we visited was quite knowledgeable. I think we were there for about 45 minutes.

Check the bus map. There is a route (I think it's #1) that goes up the hill and lets you off near the driveway to the house. We did the walk up the hill years ago and it's steep. But we were younger then. This time, we were happy to discover a bus route that loops up that hill.

bus map:

http://www.taxibermuda.com/bermuda_bus_schedule-information.htm

Thank you for your info. Walking around on our own would be ok. Best of all thank you for pointing out that loop on the bus map. Our map shows that #1 goes straight on South Road (thumbnail). In one of the reviews I did see someone mention being left off at the driveway - thus the confusion. Driveway sounds good to me.

1405795597_BermudaBusComboEast-West.jpg.05134c18c6cb30b075f89cf87ba4b259.jpg

We would like to visit Verdmont Museum on our next trip to Bermuda this September. ........After touring the museum we would take the #1 Bus back to Hamilton and then take the #7 Bus to Horseshoe Beach for a few hours.

My questions are

1. ......

3. .....

After studying the bus route map, I don't think you have to walk from South Rd to the museum, The bus leaves South Rd at Collectors Hill and loops around the museum before taking Sayle Rd back to South Rd.

As for the bus timing, the route inbound #1 bus runs every 30 minutes. Should see it close to the museum at :05 and :35 after the hour. The ride to the Hamilton bus terminal is about 15 minutes. The outbound route #7 bus departs the Hamilton bus terminal every 15 minutes at :04, :19, :34 & :49 minutes after the hour,

SBtS

After studying the bus route map, I don't think you have to walk from South Rd to the museum, The bus leaves South Rd at Collectors Hill and loops around the museum before taking Sayle Rd back to South Rd.

As for the bus timing, the route inbound #1 bus runs every 30 minutes. Should see it close to the museum at :05 and :35 after the hour. The ride to the Hamilton bus terminal is about 15 minutes. The outbound route #7 bus departs the Hamilton bus terminal every 15 minutes at :04, :19, :34 & :49 minutes after the hour,

SBtS

Thank you for the bus info - sounds good.

I also have another question - I guess for the historical buffs.

The Bermuda National Trust offers a combination ticket for $10 which allows entrance to the Bermuda National Trust Museum, the Tucker House Museum and the Verdmont Museum.

We also want to visit the Tucker House while in St. George on another day. Does this combo ticket have to be used the same day or can we split it over a couple of days?

• 6 months later...

Just realized that I never got back to this thread.

We just returned home 9/30/12 and had a beautiful stay in Bermuda. If you are looking for historical sites in Bermuda, definitely look into the Bermuda National Trust.

They offer a combination ticket for $10 and it covers three sites - Tucker House, Verdmont, and the Bermuda National Trust Museum at the Globe Hotel (Rogues & Runners).

We started at the Tucker House in St. George's. The tour covers a good deal of Bermuda history. We were then directed to Rogues and Runners at the Globe Hotel. This tour offers a great video about the founding and development of the island. Upstairs they have a detailed display of the early history of Bermuda (they called themselves "privateers") and Bermuda's role in the Civil War and the Blockade.

Verdmont is off the south shore so we did that the next day (#1 bus from Hamilton lets you off right near the driveway. Just say good morning/afternoon to the driver and mention Verdmont when you get on). Beautiful estate and again covers much of Bermuda's early days (also read that it's haunted). They had a tea set supposedly being sent to then President Madison by Napoleon Bonaparte that was "intercepted" by a "privateer".

We really enjoyed all three of these sites (didn't see any ghosts), saw a lot of the island going back and forth on the bus and ferry and still had plenty of time for the beaches.

Archived