your opinion on Accessible Large Interior staterooms

I was looking on the oasis staterroms and they have the Accessible Large Interior ( first time that I read about that ) ,and I dont know but they look bigger than the regular staterrom , any catch ?

Thanks !!!!:)

The catch is that it is for those who need a handicap room.

I was looking on the oasis staterroms and they have the Accessible Large Interior ( first time that I read about that ) ,and I dont know but they look bigger than the regular staterrom , any catch ?

Yes, there is a catch. Your cruise line should ask you if you have a disability that requires you to need an accessible cabin, because those cabins are for people in wheelchairs, or with another disability that makes them need the extra room.

Compared to the normal cabins, there are very few accessible cabins so, if you book one and are able-bodied, you may be depriving someone with a disability of the chance to cruise. Although people may be told they will be moved if a genuinely disabled person needs the cabin, that very rarely happens in practice.

The accessible cabins are usually modified to have a walk-in shower, with no step up. People have reported that this makes the bathroom prone to flooding.

If you are allocated an accessible cabin after final payment date, that is OK. However, if you are booking before that date, please be considerate and book one of the normal cabins.

You will be asked to complete a form indicating what your requirements are for an accessiable cabin and it now has to returned within 3 days of booking the cabin.

With the new regs and putting the accessiable cabins on the net, there has been an increase in the number of able bodies that are trying to book these cabins since they are larger.

If you truly need the cabin because you have a true handicap and actually require the cabin then go for it.

But if you are booking the cabin because of the extra space and are lying about your need - well - karma is a b_t_h. Hope you can look at yourself in the mirror.

They are very large but they really should be available for people who need them to fit a wheelchair or they need the special bathroom with a special open shower. I just brought someone to the ship yesterday who needed an accessible cabin but there weren't any left to book in to. He is paralyzed from the waste down and cannot get into a regular stateroom's shower with out his braces. The cruise line is suppose to try and find a cabin while he's on board in case someone is assigned to one and really doesn't require one. I know they do sometimes assign them to other people usually a few weeks in advance so there is a chance of getting one if you are cruising in a few weeks. But they will tell you that they might need to move you if they require the accessible cabin for someone who really needs it.

The catch is that they Handicap Accessible Cabins that's why there is the universal HC insignia shown with the cabin number and now have their own catagory. These cabins are for those individuals that are disabled and require the special features of an accesssible cabin in order to cruise. Such as room to safely move about the cabin in their wheelchair or any other mobility aid.

As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly refered to as DOT) became effective that requires that the

the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011 , the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply to these new regulations . Because of this new law Cruise lines have also had to reclassify there HC cabins as demonstrated on RCCL's website when booking a cabin. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Due to this new law effective January 1, 2012 RCCL had to reclassified their HC to be a seperate catagory. Based on the new laws RCCL now requires that anyone booking a HC cabin certify that someone that will be occupying that cabin actually requires the features of that cabin. Under the new laws the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

The reason the laws were changed to begin were because Able Body people were fraudulently booking HC cabins to get the extra space just as you are possibly considering. Being a person that can't cruise if I don't get an HC cabin , it upsets me that with so many other cabin choices that AbleBody people have they still want to book HC cabins for the extra space.

Archived